New class one driver, advice please

So passed class 2 in feb and drove on agency since then all manner of ridgids, every thing from freezers, flat beds to curtainsiders. 7.5/18/26 t etc

Then I had week off last week to do class one that I saved for, nailed it first time and passed last Thursday, epic

So my agency got me some class one work, trunking for a ropey company who mainly employ Eastern Europeans. They took me out for an assessment and saw I cold drive and that’s it I’m trunking and dropping off trailers doing pallets to rdc sand some general hulage of building materials etc. So I’ve had a close one today where I almost ripped all the susies off. I was taught to use the acronym BLACK when dropping/hooking a trailer which was fine, but I keep forgetting number plate. So today I tried to take plate off after winding up legs but then pulled dog clip and king pin and forgot the airlines ffs, just remembered as i drew away, trailer dropped and I hit the brake, it pulled the plugs out but I caught it in time before it snapped the airlines ffs.

Any advice on making this a smoother process?

Also any advice for getting regular work that isn’t for a rough arsed company with a load of old scrappers for trucks ?

Cheers in advance

It will all take practice and will come with time just like everything. Get a post it note, write it down (plate, lines etc), stick it on your dash and before you pull out from underneath look at the post it note and mentally check it off. Better to do that than be filling forms out. Youll then develop your own little procedure.

As for better jobs I’ve noticed on here it seems to be you need to start low and aim high and treat everything inbetween as experience. The more you get the better your chances of finding something.

I start back doing class 2 work in a week or so. I now have my Class one and discussed this at interview with them ‘if I pass’ and they said they’d start by giving me eady stuff like trailer drops to RDCs etc with another driver and go from there. Yeah I could get an extra £1/2 an hour on agency but it’s a full time job, permanent, so I’ll take the security and I like the fact they say they’ll ease me into it after leaving class 2 work 7 years ago and doing coaches since.

Just find your routine and stick with it, I use BLACK and it’s served me well. Also when I pull the dog clip off I look at leg on that side and glance at lines as I’m walking back to driver’s door probably overkill but better safe than sorry.

On a slightly different not a guy at work told me he always applies park brake when using the Anderson tail lift to stop him driving off without him removing it so I decided to do same. Finished my drop last week , put tail lift back up etc got chatting then went to set off park brake was on and Anderson lead still in.

Point I’m making is it’s too easy to get distracted and it must happen to everyone at some point I wouldn’t worry too much about what nearly happened at least you’ll double check from now on lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I think it’s a “frame of mind” thing. Especially as a new(ish) artic driver you will be feeling a lot of stress mixed with relief, having found your way to the yard/slotted in to the parking space etc. What I think you need to do is to STOP for a good five minutes (and I mean to stop completely, walk away from the lorry if possible) before getting started on your uncouple/couple-up procedure. Write down the B L A C K steps on a card and actually check off each part of the process as you complete it (don’t just do it in your head). Have a little conversation with yourself as you do it.

Above all, take your time.

Oh, and if you get distracted in any way, go right back to the start of the sequence.

Thanks for your suggestions and support guys, it really is a whole new thing compared to ridgids. I thought I knew the trade well, but everything is different on c&e, really.

I was talking to a good friend who’s drove for ten years and he ripped the lines off an a trailer a couple of years ago in a total moment of madness. I guess you have to be alert and never complacent. It’s a serious business this truck driving :astonished:

Making mistakes is an excellent way to learn, but near misses are even better. It sounds like you have just had the best form of learning of all, and you are therefore less likely to repeat that mistake.

Mind you, it is only a matter of time before you make - or nearly make - a different mistake.

This is what they call “experience”, and it is why so many companies won’t touch drivers who have not had all these experiences.

You’ve learnt from this one, just keep doing that and it will all settle into place sooner or later.

On the B L A C K sequence, just do everything in that order (or in reverse if coupling up), don’t get distracted, and pause before you drive off to check each of the steps has been completed. Go through them in your mind, one by one, and be sure. Don’t rush, safety takes a little longer but not nearly as long as filling in accident paperwork.

Way I uncoupled a trailer handbrake on jump out walk down and get the number plate,then legs,trailer brake airlines then walk round and last of all dog clip and handle.
Then quick look to make sure legs are down and all airlines off,sounds a bit daft as you have just done it but its peace of mind really.

I do B L A N C K because it took me a few weeks before I stopped leaving my trailer number plate on when doing drop & swaps :blush:

One thing I will say to you though mate, GET INTO A RELIGIOUS HABIT OF CHECKING THE TRAILER BRAKE IS ON DURING COUPLING.
Some knobs drop trailers without applying the trailer brake because they have their " own way of doing things ", or sometimes shunters ask them to leave it off. Also some trailers will automatically apply the trailer brake once the airlines are disconnected and some drivers simply assume theirs is the same :unamused:

If you reverse your unit into a trailer without it’s brake on you can cause a lot of damage when you push it back but far more importantly you could easily crush and kill somebody :neutral_face:

If you end up split coupling and the trailer is on an incline, it can roll towards you and if your air suspension height is wrong, the trailer can ride over the top of the pin and crush you :neutral_face:

Also, when you drop a trailer do not drop an empty with your lift axle up because on some truck brands (Scania especially), you will drop the trailer ’ high ’ and make it a lot easier for other drivers to go under and miss the pin. Try also to use the air suspension correctly when picking up a trailer, otherwise when you reverse under it you will end up scraping the grease off the fifth wheel with the leading edge of the rubbing plate of the trailer. This then goes all over the airlines when you turn corners and all over your trousers when you are connecting/disconnecting airlines :wink:

eagerbeaver:
I do B L A N C K because it took me a few weeks before I stopped leaving my trailer number plate on when doing drop & swaps :blush:

One thing I will say to you though mate, GET INTO A RELIGIOUS HABIT OF CHECKING THE TRAILER BRAKE IS ON DURING COUPLING.
Some knobs drop trailers without applying the trailer brake because they have their " own way of doing things ", or sometimes shunters ask them to leave it off. Also some trailers will automatically apply the trailer brake once the airlines are disconnected and some drivers simply assume theirs is the same :unamused:

If you reverse your unit into a trailer without it’s brake on you can cause a lot of damage when you push it back but far more importantly you could easily crush and kill somebody :neutral_face:

If you end up split coupling and the trailer is on an incline, it can roll towards you and if your air suspension height is wrong, the trailer can ride over the top of the pin and crush you :neutral_face:

Also, when you drop a trailer do not drop an empty with your lift axle up because on some truck brands (Scania especially), you will drop the trailer ’ high ’ and make it a lot easier for other drivers to go under and miss the pin. Try also to use the air suspension correctly when picking up a trailer, otherwise when you reverse under it you will end up scraping the grease off the fifth wheel with the leading edge of the rubbing plate of the trailer. This then goes all over the airlines when you turn corners and all over your trousers when you are connecting/disconnecting airlines :wink:

Absolutely epic post mate, thanks a lot :smiley:

Lots of good advice on this thread, I’ll just add my tuppence for what’s it’s worth.
I was never taught the BLACK system, just worked from back to front or vice versa.
But I was told if you get distracted during coupling or uncoupling, don’t continue from where you think you stopped, but check from the beginning of the procedure, and I’m obsessive about checking brakes are on.

Maybe I’m special but I’ve never had this issue.
I do legs, jump up the back do the lines and pbrake if its there, jump down the other side then do the clip. I usually take number plate off before I put it onto the bay. Good idea is to keep it in your door cubby hole (if it fits) so you know its there.
Might not be the right way to do things but I’ve never had issues.
That being said I only do artics occasionally I usually pull A-frame drags.

If you are turning around in a tight spot with your trailer, stop, pull out all the suzies, press the shunt button on the trailer.
Once done the U TURN , put the lines back in, release the shunt button.
This saves breaking the lines, if its the air for the brakes, thats you stopped there until a mechanic arrives.
If the electric lines are damaged, no lights, no likey, no go.ey.
Buy the biggest brush to sweep out dust and debris from trailers.
Bungy cords for the suxies.
Tupperware boxes for storing bits and bobs.
A clip board to keep paperwork clean and tidy.
A large sports kit bag to haul cab stuff from car to cab .
A good quality Thermos to save the Msa rip off for coffees, worth paying more for a good one that will last .

Dropping or picking up, follow your routine. If you find you tend to forget things, write your list and laminate it. Run your finger down it, tick off everything. Dont be worried what others think, experienced pilots do exactly this. As said, if someone interrupts, tell them to "go away*". When youve done, just stand back, and look, replay what youve done. It takes a few seconds to walk around and double check dog clips, brake buttons, number plates, doors, lights. Anyone watching watching me at dark oclock on a wet and windy Monday morning may think Im talking to myself and ticking things off on my fingers, well I am. It may not look pretty, but when I get in the cab, roll off, dab the brakes to check em, I feel happy, and don`t care how I look.

*Use stronger language than allowed here!

Dropping or picking up a trailer find your own routine of doing this BLACK helps but also remember the number plate some many don’t as you see them at some RDC etc so don’t worry

If someone does tries to distract you ask them to wait a minute then start from beginning with routine

Last week I was dropping a trailer went through my routine another of our drivers came to “help” I got in cab checked my mirrors only to find him winding the legs up jumped out shouted no at him then went to explain I was dropping it he did apologise as he thought I was picking it up no damage but good job I did check so if in doubt double check everything