Older newbie choices

Apologies first if I ramble on.

Having decided to change the direction of my life and go back to what was in the family for years but has long since closed and gone I have now done my CPC, got my tachocard to drive C1 and got my C provisional and passed the Theory and Hazard perception so the choice is:
Do I do Class 2 practical and with the skill of an amazing instructor if I pass do I then immediately go onto C+E or spend a while getting experience at Class 2 before going for the C+E or just go for it straight away while all the good habits are still fresh ?

Many thanks

I’d go straight to class one particularly if you’re advancing in years. Class 2 usually involves you being a labourer/warehouseman on wheels.

Both approaches have merit…

Some prefer to keep going while in ‘training mode’ and step straight from the Class 2 pass to the Class 1 training and test. This way you are more likely to still be driving as a test examiner expects, and less likely to have developed bad habits. This is what I did and it worked for me - I passed both classes first time.

The counter-argument is that spending a few months on the road as a Class 2 driver helps build your experience and make you a better driver, so you are more prepared to face the challenge of adding a trailer on the back.

Choose for yourself… :slight_smile:

Thanks Gents,

The mind is leaning towards the learning mindset and seeing if I can get class 1.
There are then more options open.

Much appreciated

Class 1 work does tend to be a little easier on the body so is generally better suited to those of us who have more years behind us than in front. Many of the common Class 2 jobs are hard physical labour. There are exceptions, of course, but finding Class 1 work without any load interaction is likely to be easier.

I would go straight for your Class 1 after doing your Class 2.

Some agencies count the amount of time you have had your Class 1 as experience for it. The more time you’ve had your licence, the easier it might be to get Class 1 work later on, in case you find it a problem initially

Orc and HYH

Thank you, much appreciate the input from people who know far more than me.

All the contributions above make valid points. My take is that, for many people, its best to get on with CE asap. It’s not likely to get any cheaper and it opens more doors earlier.

But no-one should go into debt without the assurance of a firm job offer. Most important to be able to satisfy any debt from existing income - not reliant on maybe earning more.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

In regards to paying there is sometimes the option of a 2 year interest free credit card which could work well for many