Another training diary

I wasn’t intending on writing one of these. Since there’s been a few lately. But actually as much as anything I’d like to get my own thoughts written down somewhere for my own benefit.

So Day one 16/10/17.
I’ve gone with PSTT for my cat C practical training and cpc mod 4. And I’m lucky enough to have the man himself teaching me. I can’t say what other training sites are like but I’m more than happy with PSTT in terms of the site itself, the vehicle I’m in and every person I’ve encountered thus far. All fab.

I’m comuting daily from Birmingham and I will say it’s an easy drive and finding PSTT is straight forward. That said I was annoyingly (for me) a bit late this morning. If you’re with this trainer soon and coming from the Birmingham area take account of how long it takes to get out of Brum at rush our ( It was worse than I anticipated) and the average speed check road works on the m1 just after you join from the A42 really held me up.

So the training itself started with a walk around the truck with an explanation of things to check and into the cab itself where we went over the controls. Then onto a demonstration drive from Pete to another nearby industrial estate.

This is where I got to actually have a go at driving! God it’s like the first time on a motorbike or car. Even after years of driving it all felt so new again. A few trips around the fairly quiet bit of industrial estate to find my feet a little before hitting busier roads. Good fun though so much to remember. I find myself too often too close to the cerb, and I find myself to close to it again too often when making a turn. Two things I really want to iron out tomorrow. My drive got us back to the training site in one peice though, and with only one unexpected encounter with an artic.

Tea break. The tea was wet Pete. And after that my first go at reversing into the bay. Again I got a demonstration from Pete before I had a go and with his guidance I don’t think it was a bad first go. I didn’t get much more practice in as the bay was needed for an examination. So back out for another drive.

More of being to close to the kerb. Though I don’t think I clipped it at all on any turns. It’s taking me time to get used to the vehicles size and weight. Especially in relation to just how early you have to start slowing down. I’m sure we all know intellectually it’s bigger and heavier so will take longer to stop. But the reality is slow to sink in. This hgv lark is a very different business even if some of it is familiar.

Back at base and a few more goes at reversing into the bay. Aside from wiping out a cone when pulling out of the bay! Whoops! It didn’t go to badly. Actually I felt it was starting to come together and I think I’ll have it down with a few more practices.

And that is the end of day one. All in all a really enjoyable first day. In my opinion a good foundation for the rest of the week. Nothing I struggled with today feels as though it’s going to be a huge issue. That is to say I sort of know I’ll get better at it all. None of it feels unsurmountable.

Can’t wait for day two!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
I wasn’t intending on writing one of these. Since there’s been a few lately. But actually as much as anything I’d like to get my own thoughts written down somewhere for my own benefit.

So Day one 16/10/17.
I’ve gone with PSTT for my cat C practical training and cpc mod 4. And I’m lucky enough to have the man himself teaching me. I can’t say what other training sites are like but I’m more than happy with PSTT in terms of the site itself, the vehicle I’m in and every person I’ve encountered thus far. All fab.

I’m comuting daily from Birmingham and I will say it’s an easy drive and finding PSTT is straight forward. That said I was annoyingly (for me) a bit late this morning. If you’re with this trainer soon and coming from the Birmingham area take account of how long it takes to get out of Brum at rush our ( It was worse than I anticipated) and the average speed check road works on the m1 just after you join from the A42 really held me up.

So the training itself started with a walk around the truck with an explanation of things to check and into the cab itself where we went over the controls. Then onto a demonstration drive from Pete to another nearby industrial estate.

This is where I got to actually have a go at driving! God it’s like the first time on a motorbike or car. Even after years of driving it all felt so new again. A few trips around the fairly quiet bit of industrial estate to find my feet a little before hitting busier roads. Good fun though so much to remember. I find myself too often too close to the cerb, and I find myself to close to it again too often when making a turn. Two things I really want to iron out tomorrow. My drive got us back to the training site in one peice though, and with only one unexpected encounter with an artic.

Tea break. The tea was wet Pete. And after that my first go at reversing into the bay. Again I got a demonstration from Pete before I had a go and with his guidance I don’t think it was a bad first go. I didn’t get much more practice in as the bay was needed for an examination. So back out for another drive.

More of being to close to the kerb. Though I don’t think I clipped it at all on any turns. It’s taking me time to get used to the vehicles size and weight. Especially in relation to just how early you have to start slowing down. I’m sure we all know intellectually it’s bigger and heavier so will take longer to stop. But the reality is slow to sink in. This hgv lark is a very different business even if some of it is familiar.

Back at base and a few more goes at reversing into the bay. Aside from wiping out a cone when pulling out of the bay! Whoops! It didn’t go to badly. Actually I felt it was starting to come together and I think I’ll have it down with a few more practices.

And that is the end of day one. All in all a really enjoyable first day. In my opinion a good foundation for the rest of the week. Nothing I struggled with today feels as though it’s going to be a huge issue. That is to say I sort of know I’ll get better at it all. None of it feels unsurmountable.

Can’t wait for day two!

Gonna enjoy reading yours - seeing as we might very briefly. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abzyyy:

IronEddie:

So Day one 16/10/17.

Can’t wait for day two!

Gonna enjoy reading yours - seeing as we might very briefly. [emoji106][emoji106]

Nice to put names/faces to users here.

Well done on getting the man himself, really lucky there.

How are you finding Pete ?

He is genuinely one of the nicest people i have ever met.

Well-Jell:
Well done on getting the man himself, really lucky there.

How are you finding Pete ?

He is genuinely one of the nicest people i have ever met.

Yeah really nice bloke and clearly passionate about what he does. His style of instruction suits me well to which is fantastic.

Just keep enjoying it - your in good hands .

DAY two 17/10/17

Arrived on time this morning my second 10.30 start.

The day started with a couple of laps of left turns to nail down my position and get away from the kerb. Then on to a longer drive. Things already feeling better than day one. Rubbed against a kerb when pulling over, hadn’t checked that left mirror so hadn’t realised how close I was. Lack of mirrors has been a bit of the theme for today. Will be living in them tomorrow.

Back at site for a cuppa, felt dead special when Pete offered to make me one, instead of out the machine.

On to practicing the reversing maneuver. Pretty much there now with it, couple more goes at it and I don’t think I’ll have any issues. My biggest problem seems to be getting the turn on to actually enter the bay. I pull forward fine, make the initial turn fine, straighten up fine but then make that next turn often too early. Oh and one should really stop before the the back of the lorry hits the barrier.

After this Pete tells me it’s back out on the road. But this time he’s not going to guide me unless I’m about to do something dangerous. It’s otherwise up to me and my judgement. Very much pleased with this drive. I’m away from the kerb majority of the time, my pace is good, if anything a little to eager. Dial that back one notch tomorrow. In general I felt happy and loads more confident. Things Pete picked up on include a lack of mirror use or not consistent at any rate. Couple of times we came very close to Street furniture, a tree and a telegraph pole. The latter as I was squeezing down a gap for a left turn, when really I should have held back.

Anyway it’s stuff I’m sure I’ll correct tomorrow and I’m feeling good about the prospect of the test on Thursday.

Tomorrow sees an early start at 8.30 for cpc mod 4 training and then out on the road again late morning and into the afternoon.

Day 3 18/10/17

Well today has been crap. The cold I’ve had all week just seems in my head today, I’ve been in a fug and staying focused has been difficult.

The cpc mod 4 training was good. Will see how much has sunk in with tomorrow’s test.

I’m really pleased my reverse maneuver has come together and I’m confident in that. My general driving has been a frustration today. I’ve made some progress in weak areas. But not keeping focused has let mistakes come in, even silly ones. Grr.

Really hoping a good night’s rest gets me through this cold. Because if I’m feeling like today or worse then tomorrow is gonna be bloody hard.

Credit due to IronEddie for such a candid diary - warts n all! His comments mirror mine and he’s said it as it is. Having a head full of cold at this point is not the best obviously. Let’s hope the decent night’s sleep works it’s magic. The great result is within reach provided IE can keep the focus (and I believe he can and will).

We’ll all know tomorrow!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Chin up mate. I’ve had a stinking cold and took any amount of any over the counter medicine I could find to shift it before today.

As it happens it was either that or going to bed at 8pm last night which helped. Woke up this morning feeling better (but not 100%) and all worked out well.

Peter Smythe:
Credit due to IronEddie for such a candid diary - warts n all! His comments mirror mine and he’s said it as it is. Having a head full of cold at this point is not the best obviously. Let’s hope the decent night’s sleep works it’s magic. The great result is within reach provided IE can keep the focus (and I believe he can and will).

We’ll all know tomorrow!

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Thanks Pete. Deffinatly know I have it in myself to pass.

toonsy:
Chin up mate. I’ve had a stinking cold and took any amount of any over the counter medicine I could find to shift it before today.

As it happens it was either that or going to bed at 8pm last night which helped. Woke up this morning feeling better (but not 100%) and all worked out well.

I’m on many many wonderful flu tablets right now and I’ll be asleep before 9. Thankfully not got an early start either so might get a little sleep in.

Good Luck with the Test :slight_smile:

All the best for tomorrow, thanks for an insightful diary. Looking forward to the next installment. Hopefully followed by ROGs graphics. :slight_smile:

Day 4. 19/10/17

Feeling much better today, thankfully. I could actually concentrate.

So the good news. I passed cpc mod 4 this morning.

This afternoon I passed my practical test. Only picked up 2 minors which I’m very chuffed with.

Not least since it was chucking it down at the start of my test and by the end it was foggy. To the point where I thought it worth having the fog lights on.

Reverse maneuver came in a bit tight but got it in the bay without needing a shunt.

I’d like to say a massive personal thanks to Pete for training me this week. A top bloke, excellent teacher and well I can’t say a bad thing about him. Sorry I gave you my cold.
A wider thanks to the whole team at PSTT. Everyone I’ve met has been great. The company as a whole is top notch and will always get a recommendation from me.

Congratulations! Well done :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks [emoji16][emoji15][emoji869]

Congratulations… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Congrats :slight_smile: Slightly worried I could be the only person on here who actually fails a driving course with petes place.

sammym:
Congrats :slight_smile: Slightly worried I could be the only person on here who actually fails a driving course with petes place.

Your not - unfortunately I didn’t do too well with my Class 1