Struggling with Class 2

I came back from my second lesson today and it didn’t go well.

The instructor kept getting on at me for screwing up saying I wasn’t listening the thing is I was but i just found it so hard. If I made a mistake I would correct it next time but end up making a different mistake.

I’m 19 and have held my car license a tear and he said to me from the beginning I would struggle due to lack of experience and I can see where he’s coming from now. I know to begin with these things are hard but I’m just worried about screwing up again tomorrow as I don’t take criticism well and take it personally and felt really deflated during and after my lesson. Anyone who can relate and give advice?

I can relate yes,I took my class 2 when I was 20 passed first time and then did my class one a couple of years later…passed car test when I was 19 and had driven nothing bigger than a Ford Fiesta until the day I did my assessment drive in the class 2.
My advice would be to change instructors seems he has an issue with “young uns” trying for their hgv licence and tbh and seems that he made his mind up that you’d struggle before he even gave you a try which in my opinion says more about him than it does you!!

Keep going,don’t give up,ignore those that don’t want you in the industry because of your age…which seems to include your instructor.

What a load of rubbish about the experience I started driving hgv s when I was 18 3 months after doing my car test and I didn’t struggle one bit not being big headed but I don’t understand what’s so hard about it it’s easier than driving a car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the instructor should handle the student in a manner that is positive and conducive to learning.

If you can stay focused on what your instructor is trying to change or adjust with your driving and if necessary let the manner or tone of their input be ignored as best you can if its inappropriate.

Seems it is the instructor not you from the info you are giving me

Is your instructor advising you or telling you :question:

Don’t worry too much kiddo, just focus on the end game. Get you head down and do your best to learn…not easy to change instructors if its a one band outfit plus may not go down well either.

Sadly, there are some very poor and unprofessional folks calling themselves “instructors”. You might well have got one of them. I have trained more under 21’s than I care to remember and never had a problem. Indeed, they tend to be very easy to teach. So heaven help everyone else this “instructor” comes across.

If he cant manage a young’n he’s no hope.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ps did I mention I’ve been driving coaches since I was 18 and trucks from 21? (Not that I’m biased!!)

Every instructor I’ve ever had be it car, bike or from today lorry has been calm and professional. A guide a teacher not a drill Sargent. I’m sure it can be frustrating for the instructor at times. But it’s their job not to let that show in the way they instruct. Your confidence should be being built up as you’re guided by them.

I’d tell him to change his attitude or you’ll change him.

When I was your age I didn’t take criticism well either, especially if it was delivered badly. Age and a thicker skin helps but that’s no excuse for poor instruction now.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I’ve done lots of training over the years (mostly non-driving other than my bike and car licences and hopefully soon my Class 2 Cat C). Regardless of what you are being taught the student/instructor relationship and dynamic has a massive effect. I’m not going to patronise you because of your age as being younger you’re probably more likely to pick things up more quickly than someone like me (I’m 42). Teaching standards and styles vary massively but finding an instructor that suits you is really important and your confidence will benefit from a better matched trainer. Stick with it and you’ll be grand. Good luck. P.S. I’m on a course this week and I cannot stand the style and approach of the trainer we have. One plus side of being a bit older is that I know it’s more a reflection of her rather than me. Comes with experience and time but do not underestimate your skills and ability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Similar to a previous commenter, I’m 18 years and 6 months old and I got my class 2 a couple of months ago. I drive rigids everyday and, truly, I find it considerably easier than driving a car! Some people do just take to driving very quickly and ‘effortlessly’ and you might not be one of those people. It definitely sounds like your instructor is an absolute zeebee (as they say) and maybe it would be worth trying to go on to do training with another provider.

Any questions please feel free to PM me; I know what it’s like starting at such a young age! :slight_smile:

Wonder how op got on in the end.

hint hint OP, we want to hear how it went!

Hey thanks for all the replies. I’m doing it over a few weeks rather than 5 days like normal and regret it. Chose A company that could take me immediately and regret it. Not got a lesson at all this week. I don’t think I get money back if I chose to leave so am stuck getting lessons when i don’t want to. I wished I’d been patient and went with other company.

When I started training, some 45 years ago, it was normal to have weekly lessons - 2 hours a week was common. This made the process lengthy but much less pressured than the intensive courses that are the norm now.

But I would suggest that it’s not a good idea to have an interval of more than a week between lessons. Presumably you haven’t paid for all your training so you should be able to walk away and find a method that works for you.

Peter Smythe:
When I started training, some 45 years ago, it was normal to have weekly lessons - 2 hours a week was common. This made the process lengthy but much less pressured than the intensive courses that are the norm now.

But I would suggest that it’s not a good idea to have an interval of more than a week between lessons. Presumably you haven’t paid for all your training so you should be able to walk away and find a method that works for you.

Unfortunately I have paid for all my training as had to really don’t know what to do now. Thanks for your help anyway.

Doesn’t sound like there’s much you can do. Out of pocket at any rate anyway you slice it.

I’d complete the training, you never know it might come together and you might pass. If you don’t you’re young and have time on your side. Save up and go with a better trainer. On that last note seriously consider Peter Smythe, you won’t regret it if you do.