New class 2 driver

Hello everyone. Just wanted some advice please if anyone has the time. I’m new here so if this is in the wrong place on this forum then sorry.

I passed my Class 2 about 2 week’s ago. Really enjoyed it and it just felt right behind the wheel. I signed up for a agency and started work last Wednesday for Parfett’s. It’s only a temp job but i guess it’s better than nothing. I turned up a 6.30am and saw a few trucks out side and thought wow, There the same size i learned to drive in. Little did i know that the truck a was driving was parked around the back. It’s a 18 tonne 30 foot long truck. I had to go from Alfreton (Derbyshire) up to Shefffield then across to Halifax then back to Sheffield and then back to Alfreton. It’s was a great run and i enjoyed it. The problem i have is I’m still a bit nervous behind the wheel. This is the first time I’ve been alone in the truck and it’s a bloody big truck. On friday i had to go to Stockport. I had to drive on the A628 which was a good drive but felt i was slowing people down as there are some sharp corner’s. I had to reverse in the yard at Stockport in between 2 trucks. I had to ask for someone to watch by rear as it was really tight. I was meet with people laughing at me coz i asked for help.

What I’m really getting at is will it get easier? Do all new truck driver’s feel nervous at the start? How long did it take to feel comfortable? Do all people laugh at you when you ask for alittle help?

I’m really sorry for the long post. Just wanted to get as much detail in as i could. If you managed to read all of this then thank you and hope to read you replys soon.

Thanks again.

Hi mate,
1)You will slow people down because you have to take corners slowly…ignore people,they’d moan even more if you tipped it and blocked to road off in front of them for hours.
2)You did the correct thing in asking for assistance reversing…ignore the driving gods who snigger at you rather than offer help,chances are they ain’t as great as they make out anyway.
3) It will get easier,I 101% guarantee you that and in 6 months to a year you’ll be looking at other drivers in class ones with the little voice in your head saying “go on,do your class one licence”.
4)Relax,enjoy it,ignore people that have no interest in helping you,don’t worry about holding traffic up…maybe if you’re on a long A road and have a massive queue behind you then think about if possible pulling in a lay-by and letting everyone pass…but that’s only to allow you to stop worrying about holding them up and so you can carry on plodding along at a pace you’re comfortable with.
Give it 6 months and you’ll feel like your drivinga transit van because you’ll become used to the dimensions of the truck.

Some good advice already posted, hopefully this is a bit more:

Vanquish:
I passed my Class 2 about 2 week’s ago. Really enjoyed it and it just felt right behind the wheel. I signed up for a agency and started work last Wednesday for Parfett’s. It’s only a temp job but i guess it’s better than nothing.

I suggest you change your mindset here, to a recognition that you are very grateful to this company for giving you the opportunity to build your experience and therefore your lorry driving career. It is most certainly a hell of a lot better than nothing !

I had to go from Alfreton (Derbyshire) up to Shefffield then across to Halifax then back to Sheffield and then back to Alfreton. It’s was a great run and i enjoyed it.

Hold onto that thought. You had a great run. You enjoyed it. You’ve done it once, so you can do it again.Just a few more of those needed and you will likely already feel in a different place.

The problem i have is I’m still a bit nervous behind the wheel. This is the first time I’ve been alone in the truck and it’s a bloody big truck. On friday i had to go to Stockport. I had to drive on the A628 which was a good drive but felt i was slowing people down as there are some sharp corner’s.

Feeling a bit nervous is not necessarily a bad thing - it will keep you focused, just so long as you don’t let that nervous feeling take over in which case find a good spot to pull over and get your head straight before carrying on (and maybe let some of those cars past, if it is bothering you)

I had to reverse in the yard at Stockport in between 2 trucks. I had to ask for someone to watch by rear as it was really tight. I was meet with people laughing at me coz i asked for help.

Although in my experience most people are only too happy to help, unfortunately a-holes will tend to crop up from time to time, just try to feel sorry for them, must be rubbish being a moron.

What I’m really getting at is will it get easier? Do all new truck driver’s feel nervous at the start? How long did it take to feel comfortable? Do all people laugh at you when you ask for alittle help?

Didn’t driving a car get easier? I can’t speak for all HGV drivers, but I can remember feeling more nervous while training (even right before my test) not so much because of the looming test, more because my instructor was a stern headmasterly type and I REALLY didn’t want to scratch his very shiny lorry while he was sat in it :laughing: I was starting to feel reasonably comfortable 2 to 3 weeks in, however you do NOT want to be feeling too comfortable too quickly - start every day with a “it’s a doddle this lorry driving lark” and it’s not going to end well.

As regards other people then it’s no different to other walks of life, most other people are fine most of the time, but yes there are always those who will try to have a pathetic little joke at your expense.

Thank you for your replys. It nice to know I’m not alone.

KTMrider. Sorry, I think you misunderstand me. You wouldn’t believe how grateful i am at getting this job. What I ment was it’s a shame i’s only a temp job. I’m covering for someone who is on holiday. Just wish it was full time but I’m sure my time will come. Again I’m sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thanks again everyone.

Vanquish:
Just wish it was full time but I’m sure my time will come.

Yes your time will come. Like I said above a few more runs with this company and you’ll already be feeling in a different place.

Vanquish, know what you mean about the A628 Woodhead Pass, had to come up there from the M1 to Manchester shortly after getting my class two, I was so slow I was invited for coffee by an old guy passing me on a mobility scooter :smiley: There’s some bloody horrible drops off the side of there but after a while you’ll get used to it and ■■■■■■■■ to the halfwits stood there laughing. If you’re like I was, the steep drops off the road were a big factor but I found that closing your eyes tightly helped a lot :smiley: But seriously, concentrating on the road ahead and taking it easy helps you get used to it and after doing it a few times it stops bothering you

My first day on class two they gave me multi drop in some small little town. Load of county lanes and overhanging buildings, hated it.
After a while though the thing feels small and you will be throwing it about.

Same here… my first month or so was gut sickening. I actually lost weight cos i was not eating during the day. I had a word with my self, relaxed and things got better. Its not easy at first. It does get better.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Hi Vanquish, what was the Agency you signed up to?

Ed

18t lmao I past my class 2 on the Wednesday in a 12t ,on the next Tuesday I had an assessment drive in a fully loaded 32t 8 legger [emoji15].

Pooped myself !oh yes ,drove slow and safe Yes ,
Gave a flying ■■■■ that I was slowing others down NO .

Take your time and it’ll come to you in time and above all else enjoy it .