Assessment Drive Done

So had my Assessment drive for my Cat C with TTS in Newcastle yesterday to determine my driving ability and course length, will admit could have gone better, but also could have gone a lot worse, i don’t know why but nerves got the better of me and that in turn made it harder for me to make things stick in my mind.

Drive consisted of him taking us up to quiet industrial estate in Cramlington, pulled over then we swapped over, gave me a quick run through of all the controls and we set off for a quick loop around the industrial estate, i struggled quite a bit with the gears, mainly due to the block changing and i think the gearbox felt a little stiff making it hard to find the gears at times, once we had come back round to where we started he just directed me back towards the training centre, letting me drive the whole 9 miles back via the A1 :open_mouth:, although once we were heading back the gears did start to click in my head.

Back at the training centre, we parked up and he gave me his assessment, i have picked up a lot of bad habits in my 11 years driving, namely mirror checks, blind spot checks, and the dreaded crossing the hand while steering, most of which are things that failed my original driving test for :confused: , but he had no complaints on my general control of the vehicle, positioning on the road he was happy with, even managed to go the while trip without clipping a single kerb :smiley:

His opinion was that a 5 day course with test would be sufficient for me, i had no complaints or disagreements with his assessment, i know i have bad habits and its going to take a while to shake them, so i have my Theory, HP and case studies all booked on the 3rd Nov and all being well i can start my training early Dec.

Drive consisted of him taking us up to quiet industrial estate in Cramlington, pulled over then we swapped over, gave me a quick run through of all the controls and we set off for a quick loop around the industrial estate, i struggled quite a bit with the gears, mainly due to the block changing and i think the gearbox felt a little stiff making it hard to find the gears at times, once we had come back round to where we started he just directed me back towards the training centre, letting me drive the whole 9 miles back via the A1 :open_mouth:, although once we were heading back the gears did start to click in my head.

It’s a bit concerning that the gears were “stiff”. Shouldn’t be the case. It’s also a bit of a surprise that you’re considering a manual when a pass on auto is easier. (Before everyone starts, yes I’m very well aware of the contra argument - but that doesn’t help a newbie pass a test).

Back at the training centre, we parked up and he gave me his assessment, i have picked up a lot of bad habits in my 11 years driving, namely mirror checks, blind spot checks, and the dreaded crossing the hand while steering,

The faults you list are perfectly normal. But don’t worry about hand crossing. It’s irrelevant for purposes of a test - - provided there is no loss of control. This is generally caused by releasing the wheel to allow it to self - centre.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
It’s a bit concerning that the gears were “stiff”. Shouldn’t be the case. It’s also a bit of a surprise that you’re considering a manual when a pass on auto is easier. (Before everyone starts, yes I’m very well aware of the contra argument - but that doesn’t help a newbie pass a test).

The truck did look a bit aged and he did say they are in the process of replacing them with auto’s, although i think the experience in a manual will always be beneficial for the future when it comes to a job.

Peter Smythe:
The faults you list are perfectly normal. But don’t worry about hand crossing. It’s irrelevant for purposes of a test - - provided there is no loss of control. This is generally caused by releasing the wheel to allow it to self - centre.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i’m just trying to correct these habits during my every day driving now to try and kick them :slight_smile:

Using car for practice …
Turn inside mirror away from your view so you have to use BOTH side mirrors
Try not to use the brakes to slow down but ease of accelerator in plenty of time (needs good forward observation, anticipation & planning) but be ready to use brakes if you need to
Do not use gears when slowing with the exception of 1st gear when speed reduces to 10mph - that may give an advantage at a give way or if the lights might change
Dip clutch only as much is needed to stop car stalling - that is not coasting
When it is time to go select the correct gear to do so

ROG:
Using car for practice …
Try not to use the brakes to slow down but ease of accelerator in plenty of time (needs good forward observation, anticipation & planning) but be ready to use brakes if you need to
Do not use gears when slowing with the exception of 1st gear when speed reduces to 10mph - that may give an advantage at a give way or if the lights might change
Dip clutch only as much is needed to stop car stalling - that is not coasting
When it is time to go select the correct gear to do so

That is one of the things i was bad for yesterday, no matter how many times he told me to not coast i still ended up doing it :confused:

To my shame about 10 years ago I was made to redo my test due to speeding.

I got some lessons and then did my test again. On the test I vented when I was annoyed that I crossed my hands over. To my surprise, the examiner just said it was an 'urban myth" and that it wasn’t a problem. I’m not sure if it’s the same with lgv’s. I ended up getting no minors which I was shocked about - as people talk about bad habits. I think driving is driving. If it’s safe and it works it’s fine. The only thing I really learnt was to slow down - no more points yet so it worked.

The truck did look a bit aged and he did say they are in the process of replacing them with auto’s, although i think the experience in a manual will always be beneficial for the future when it comes to a job.

I would be inclined to wait for the vehicle change - assuming it’s a good update. Many training vehicles are way past their “sell by” date. Personally, I see no joy in learning on a truck with a dicky gearbox. If you miss a gear under some circumstances, it will cost you a test. Honestly, the time on assessment is enough for you to understand how that type of range change operates. Why put yourself through it?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

I would be inclined to wait for the vehicle change - assuming it’s a good update. Many training vehicles are way past their “sell by” date. Personally, I see no joy in learning on a truck with a dicky gearbox. If you miss a gear under some circumstances, it will cost you a test. Honestly, the time on assessment is enough for you to understand how that type of range change operates. Why put yourself through it?

He did say the chances of me having a manual for my test would be extremely slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did say the chances of me having a manual for my test would be extremely slim.

Not being difficult, but I would want to know exactly where I was with it. And also what the autos are like. Presumably ex haulage vehicles. These could likely have been to the moon and back and stuff wears. And how big? Look at the threads and see the comments about failing cos of hitting kerbs. Combination of inadequate tuition, an inappropriate vehicle and nerves on the day.

I often wonder why folks settle for less.

I’d want to learn on the vehicle I’m then being tested in. Learning on a manual only to test in an auto might throw me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

DanHill87:

Peter Smythe:

hey,
I wonder if you’ve ever thought about a residential course…

A couple of years ago I went for an assessment drive with TTS. Looking forward to turning up and getting behind the wheel of a lorry for the first time, I left questioning if I wanted to get into the industry at all.

I too went out in the 20 year old M.A.N heap that you did (the one in which the steering wheel wasn’t aligned with the wheels!)

My instructor (I say this word loosely) told me to sit in the drivers seat, told me it was a slap gearbox and said drive. Being slightly apprehensive about never driving a vehicle so big I started asking questions, to which his reply was, ‘this isn’t a lesson’. Fair enough but I was still out on the road, having never driven a lorry before, he could have gave me a couple of tips.

After getting back to the yard, he then proceeded to tell me how poor a driver I was, and that I’d need a lot of training to get up to the standard.

There was no way I was going to hand over more than £1000 to this company when I was made to feel like I was ruining his day by being there.

The staff in the office are helpful and friendly but the experience I had with this instructor was the complete opposite.

If I was you I’d shop around, there are plenty of other training companies around the country and it’s a lot of money to waste if you choose the wrong one.

Baymax:
A couple of years ago I went for an assessment drive with TTS. Looking forward to turning up and getting behind the wheel of a lorry for the first time, I left questioning if I wanted to get into the industry at all.

I too went out in the 20 year old M.A.N heap that you did (the one in which the steering wheel wasn’t aligned with the wheels!)

My instructor (I say this word loosely) told me to sit in the drivers seat, told me it was a slap gearbox and said drive. Being slightly apprehensive about never driving a vehicle so big I started asking questions, to which his reply was, ‘this isn’t a lesson’. Fair enough but I was still out on the road, having never driven a lorry before, he could have gave me a couple of tips.

After getting back to the yard, he then proceeded to tell me how poor a driver I was, and that I’d need a lot of training to get up to the standard.

There was no way I was going to hand over more than £1000 to this company when I was made to feel like I was ruining his day by being there.

The staff in the office are helpful and friendly but the experience I had with this instructor was the complete opposite.

If I was you I’d shop around, there are plenty of other training companies around the country and it’s a lot of money to waste if you choose the wrong one.

In all honesty I can’t fault anyone there, he was very friendly was happy to answer any questions throughout the drive.

Baymax:

The op might also want to avoid Tyne & Wear LGV for a lot of the same reasons as i know they are also close to the op.

I went for an assessment with above company and i can honestly tell you i was less than impressed.

Paid about the same as i would have but chose to give my money to Peter Smythe instead.

Past first time with a clean sheet after only 3 days training.

Well-Jell:

Baymax:

The op might also want to avoid Tyne & Wear LGV for a lot of the same reasons as i know they are also close to the op.

I went for an assessment with above company and i can honestly tell you i was less than impressed.

Paid about the same as i would have but chose to give my money to Peter Smythe instead.

Past first time with a clean sheet after only 3 days training.

I avoided Tyne & Wear mainly because of the bad reviews I had seen on here, whereas I hadn’t seen any bad ones for TTS.