Failed cat c test

Caused a vehicle to change speed at a roundabout.

Going to re-sit the test next week.

Just hoping i don’t forget the training by next week and need to get used to the vehicle all over again, any tips or advice?

adammur:

Just hoping i don’t forget the training by next week and need to get used to the vehicle all over again, any tips or advice?

1 hour practice and it will all come back to you

Having that time off from driving it will also let everything sink in further

I have failed today, meeting - 1 dangerous, stack with another lorry in a very narrow place, in a very slow moving traffic, he had to fold his mirror , so we could get through. Traffic lights 1 serious , which was nothing to do with traffic lights, more crossing lines after lights . Hope to do re test in a week.

I failed first time for the same reason as the OP, also got failed for progession.

Chin up guys. It’s all part of the learning.

Try and practice the foward planing in your car between lessons.
I practised on the approach to roundabouts trying to not stop and to flow in with traffic correct gear is the important bit.
Getting a Truck moving from a stand still takes even more planning and patience getting it wrong is easy getting.
I’m a recent Pass so not got years of experience.
Calm down and enjoy.

MrFS1E:
Chin up guys. It’s all part of the learning.

Try and practice the foward planing in your car between lessons.
I practised on the approach to roundabouts trying to not stop and to flow in with traffic correct gear is the important bit.
Getting a Truck moving from a stand still takes even more planning and patience getting it wrong is easy getting.
I’m a recent Pass so not got years of experience.
Calm down and enjoy.

That’s what I think, the main thing is I’m on my way, how long it takes I don’t know, but I kind of living my dream so it’s great.

I failed for same as OP. It’s one of them though but it does have a positive because apart from that one fault the rest of the test was perfect so I know I can do it.

I’ve got an earlier test next time so I’m not fighting with school mums/people who finish work at 2pm etc so I’m already a lot calmer

Yep I’m on my way too Cat C passed end of October C+E booked beginning November.
Before I started I came on here looking for the answers to lots of questions and straight away I saw loads of other people had the same questions these guys on here are full of knowledge so read read read.
We need all the advice and guidance from our trainers and the people who’ve been there before and done it.
We’re only being trained to pass the test in an LGV/HGV we’ve also need to take this training on to everything we drive All the time so as not to take bad habits back in to the truck.
As for living the dream yep it will probably be just that!! Been wanting to drive trucks professionally since I was a kid but never got round to it now probably a bit too late.
As I do actually have a good job an not bad pay it’s not going anywhere but I’ve been doing it for 17 years.
And the pay for new truck drivers seems —— erm well crap and there are some on here who clearly do not like doing it for living. So I’ll have to wait and see and keep hunting for a great job before I quit the current job.

milesahead:
I have failed today, meeting - 1 dangerous, stack with another lorry in a very narrow place, in a very slow moving traffic, he had to fold his mirror , so we could get through. Traffic lights 1 serious , which was nothing to do with traffic lights, more crossing lines after lights . Hope to do re test in a week.

I’ve done my retest yesterday on 21 of October…I’ve passed with 4 minors! Learned from my mistakes, paid special attention to meeting vehicles in a very narrow places. Slow down before narrow bridges and other similar places, be ready to stop if someone on the other side, I would say stop unless they clearly showing that they letting you go first. It may seem that you ahead of them and you will get through, maybe yes maybe no, but remember cars are faster, don’t take your chances. If obstruction is on your side and road is clear, pass it, but if suddenly some car pulls out in your way try to find any space to hide back to your side and let him go through, they have priority, obstruction is on your side. Sorry, this are just a sporadic thoughts, if you have any questions just ask me. Happy to have passed my test!:smiling_face: Best of luck to everyone here, you will get there, just learn from your mistakes and keep trying!

milesahead:
I’ve done my retest yesterday on 21 of October…I’ve passed

:smiley: :smiley:

adammur:

Woman I know had that the other day well it was taking too long at a roundabout and knowing the roundabout most chuffin car drivers don’t indicate so it not just trainees that get it which I think should be not a fail .

One of my trainees was told by the examiner to pull out into traffic on a super busy roundabout but with the proviso that they just caused others to slow down/brake

The examiner stated at the debrief that this was a rare thing to do

ROG:

milesahead:
I’ve done my retest yesterday on 21 of October…I’ve passed

:smiley: :smiley:

Thank you!

Seems that emerging onto roundabouts is a matter of some concern lately on the forum So I thought I’d put together a little tutorial to keep everyone out of trouble and safe.

Biggest problem is often a lack of planning on the approach to the roundabout or, almost worse, over thinking the situation.

Let’s look at the fundamental rules:

If you make someone slow down or stop, you’re almost certainly wrong
If a vehicle coming from your right has no signal on, it’s coming across your path. If it doesn’t it won’t matter at all.

So look at the approach to the roundabout. Take all the information you can and then compute it. The obvious things to consider are: traffic ahead of you, density of traffic actually on the roundabout and especially on the approach road to your right. If all these are looking grim, you’re 99% going nowhere for a while. So nice steady approach to the waiting traffic ahead of you, expecting to stop but always with the mindset of wanting to go if possible.

The temptation now is to look at the traffic ahead of you and trundle up to the roundabout without studying what’s actually happening on the roundabout. A lesser sin, but still not good, is to concentrate on the road to your right. You should be looking across the roundabout waiting to spot the left signal of the vehicle that’s going to turn into the road you’re already on. He will be blocking the road to your right and, depending on the size, weight, acceleration characteristics of your vehicle, that may be your opportunity. Release the park brake when you see him in the distance (unless facing uphill) and start rolling asap. This means you’re on the roundabout for the shortest possible time. Continual mirror use will inform you how long it takes for your particular vehicle to get going and get clear of a lane.

There are rare occasions when the “acceptable space” can be shortened a little. ROG alluded to this previously. If you’re waiting and waiting and there’s little let up in the traffic, it can be acceptable on test (and in the real world) to slow someone down A TINY BIT. This will not involve the other vehicle having to brake – simply easing off the loud pedal. But don’t ever use this opportunity straight away. I would suggest you will have been waiting at least 2 minutes (which seems more like 20 minutes on a test). The same procedure applies turning at a junction.

So take the effort to work out exactly what’s happening but be ready to react to it. Any delay in making the decision to “go” and putting it into practice will inevitably lead to traffic bearing down on you.

I must make it clear that no-one will fail a test for waiting for the correct space. Neither is it in any way a fail if another road user signals incorrectly.

In closing, just to be clear, it’s really down to your planning and observation. In busy cities this can be a nightmare and takes practice to get it right. But it can be done. Patience and planning.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i passed my test almost entirely die to the fact i had to turn right at a junction with a filter lane, i stopped blocking both the live lane and filter lane due to the tail swing of my vehicle (one less thing to worry about one i was clear to go) but i was sat there a long time due to the sheer volume of the traffic waiting to leave the junction from my right. (i had to use the entire widto of the road i was turning into…) i was there long enough for the examiner to say " i am aware to make this turn you are going to cause traffic in the junction to pull to their left to get out of your way, that will be acceptable in this situation"

he said in the debreif if i had gone before he said that he would have failed me :grimacing:

so its not always black and white :smiley:

Peter Smythe:
Seems that emerging onto roundabouts is a matter of some concern lately on the forum So I thought I’d put together a little tutorial to keep everyone out of trouble and safe.

Biggest problem is often a lack of planning on the approach to the roundabout or, almost worse, over thinking the situation.

Let’s look at the fundamental rules:

If you make someone slow down or stop, you’re almost certainly wrong
If a vehicle coming from your right has no signal on, it’s coming across your path. If it doesn’t it won’t matter at all.

So look at the approach to the roundabout. Take all the information you can and then compute it. The obvious things to consider are: traffic ahead of you, density of traffic actually on the roundabout and especially on the approach road to your right. If all these are looking grim, you’re 99% going nowhere for a while. So nice steady approach to the waiting traffic ahead of you, expecting to stop but always with the mindset of wanting to go if possible.

The temptation now is to look at the traffic ahead of you and trundle up to the roundabout without studying what’s actually happening on the roundabout. A lesser sin, but still not good, is to concentrate on the road to your right. You should be looking across the roundabout waiting to spot the left signal of the vehicle that’s going to turn into the road you’re already on. He will be blocking the road to your right and, depending on the size, weight, acceleration characteristics of your vehicle, that may be your opportunity. Release the park brake when you see him in the distance (unless facing uphill) and start rolling asap. This means you’re on the roundabout for the shortest possible time. Continual mirror use will inform you how long it takes for your particular vehicle to get going and get clear of a lane.

There are rare occasions when the “acceptable space” can be shortened a little. ROG alluded to this previously. If you’re waiting and waiting and there’s little let up in the traffic, it can be acceptable on test (and in the real world) to slow someone down A TINY BIT. This will not involve the other vehicle having to brake – simply easing off the loud pedal. But don’t ever use this opportunity straight away. I would suggest you will have been waiting at least 2 minutes (which seems more like 20 minutes on a test). The same procedure applies turning at a junction.

So take the effort to work out exactly what’s happening but be ready to react to it. Any delay in making the decision to “go” and putting it into practice will inevitably lead to traffic bearing down on you.

I must make it clear that no-one will fail a test for waiting for the correct space. Neither is it in any way a fail if another road user signals incorrectly.

In closing, just to be clear, it’s really down to your planning and observation. In busy cities this can be a nightmare and takes practice to get it right. But it can be done. Patience and planning.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

This^^ spot on Pete