Weekend only work - Midlands

I’m currently doing a PhD in electrical engineering. It’s okay but the money is very awful and I get bored at weekends. My fiance is a doctor and she often is working so even if I drive to see her she isn’t available. She works about every other weekend (sometimes more). So I was looking for some work where I could work weekends when I’m free. Agency would be better as I don’t want to commit to working when I could be seeing her.

I’m based in the midlands - in Birmingham and also in Southampton. And I’d need to do a cat c licence. My partner is moving from Southampton to Nottingham for work. So I could work in any of these places over the weekends.

So my question is is there much work for evenings/weekends via agency for cat c license holders in this sort of area? I do get that I might be bettwe working in a bar etc - but I want some freedom to work when it suits me. And I find driving quite relaxing.

There is work available in all the areas you mention. It’s always easier with CE rather than just C but it’s still possible. From what you describe it sounds though agency is the way forward. Whichever licence you hold, you’ll be up against the lack of experience issue. But this isn’t insurmountable though could be a nuisance on occasions.

If you’re looking for training, you might like our current offer:

1:1 training
New or very nearly new training vehicle
Fully qualified and registered instructor
Pre-booked driving test at our private test centre on site
Full use of driving test site facilities for your practice
Test fee
Vehicle for test
VAT
Insurance
Mod 4 training
Mod 4 test
Vehicle for Mod 4 test

If you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW, you will also get free accommodation for the duration of your course.

The Mod 4 will take place during the time you are with us for CAT C but wont affect your CAT C training time.

TOTAL cost £1260.

To take advantage of this offer, simply call 01623 555661. You will be asked for £200 deposit with the balance due 2 weeks prior to training. You can negotiate your course dates at the same time.

Offer applies to new bookings only.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

sammym:
I’m currently doing a PhD in electrical engineering. It’s okay but the money is very awful and I get bored at weekends.

If you are getting paid for doing this from mon to fri then you can only drive for one day every other weekend due to EU weekly rest laws

ROG:

sammym:
I’m currently doing a PhD in electrical engineering. It’s okay but the money is very awful and I get bored at weekends.

If you are getting paid for doing this from mon to fri then you can only drive for one day every other weekend due to EU weekly rest laws

I don’t have office hours so to speak. I can work when I went. So I’m not sure it would apply to me. There is not turn up at 9 and leave at 5. I just go in whenever I want. So I think I’d be okay. If I can get my work done and work 2 days a week that is fine. Similarly some people work 7 days a week and sleep at work. So I’m not sure how they would/could enforce this.

Peter Smythe:
There is work available in all the areas you mention. It’s always easier with CE rather than just C but it’s still possible. From what you describe it sounds though agency is the way forward. Whichever licence you hold, you’ll be up against the lack of experience issue. But this isn’t insurmountable though could be a nuisance on occasions.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yours was the company I was thinking of going to. I already have a medical and could book the theory. I did a practise online and passed it without revising so I’m sure if I practiced some more it wouldn’t be a problem.

Realistically is there work for night and weekends for class c? I know that it’s an open question with no experience - but if you were willing to work for a slightly lower wage I’d have though it might be possible. But I was asking on here to check if it was a goer or not.

sammym:

ROG:

sammym:

I don’t have office hours so to speak. I can work when I went. So I’m not sure it would apply to me. There is not turn up at 9 and leave at 5. I just go in whenever I want. So I think I’d be okay. If I can get my work done and work 2 days a week that is fine. Similarly some people work 7 days a week and sleep at work. So I’m not sure how they would/could enforce this.

What you put in a diary as to what you do mon to fri is up to you

ROG:

sammym:

ROG:

sammym:

What you put in a diary as to what you do mon to fri is up to you

I wasn’t trying to insinuate I’d break any rules. Some weeks I can fly to a conference and be working 18 hours a day for 7 days straight. Other weeks I can be waiting for equipment and can be twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do in the lab. I just end up reading novels until equipment turns up.

Do you have to fill out a diary of what you have done none driving throughout the week? I only ask as I have zero idea. But I’ve just booked my theory tests. Have to wait until the start of November for the theory and cpc part. But I am doing the hazard perception on thursday. The hazard perception is the only I’m most likely to fail (and the cheapest fortunately) so I don’t mind giving myself the possibility of a retest if needed.

Non driving work counts as other work for the regs

Time spent doing commercial work even if that is time sitting in an office doing nothing is other work

You say you find driving quite relaxing how are you with the other aspects of this type of work?

From the research I’ve done it seems the majority of cat C jobs are multidrop with lots of handball. So can be quite physical work.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
You say you find driving quite relaxing how are you with the other aspects of this type of work?

From the research I’ve done it seems the majority of cat C jobs are multidrop with lots of handball. So can be quite physical work.

I can’t really say - as I’ve not done it. I don’t mind lifting heavy things and spend money to go to the gym and do that. So I can’t see it would be a drama. There are more things I’d be concerned about - like reversing.

sammym:

IronEddie:

I can’t really say - as I’ve not done it. I don’t mind lifting heavy things and spend money to go to the gym and do that. So I can’t see it would be a drama. There are more things I’d be concerned about - like reversing.

Fair enough, there is only one way to find out haha. I only brought it up because I wasn’t sure from your op that it’d been considered.

I’m getting into driving myself partly because I enjoy driving and being out on the road. But I know it can actually sometimes be a small part of the job.

Realistically is there work for night and weekends for class c?

Yes there is. Whether it’s available is what I cant tell you. But newspaper delivery work springs to mind.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Well the test I was worrying about was done. And I passed the hazard perception. I did some reading on here and also looked up some ADI forums. Turns out the secret to getting a decent score on that test is to just wait to see a hazard click, say banana in your head, click, say banana again and click - and that got even someone who didn’t like the test 93/100.

Now trying to get an earlier theory and cpc test. If anyone has any tips on the cpc part please let me know. I’ve revised drivers hours and now have a pretty solid understanding of that. But I really don’t want to fail any of the theory parts and have it slow me down! Going to call up PS tomorrow and try and book a date - I’m pretty confident now I can get the paperwork bits done without a drama.

My experience of the cpc mod 2 is that the majority of the questions were a rewording of stuff I’d already done on the theory test. I had a couple on tachograph modes and when I should be taking a break.

The case studies are quite short and easy to read, they’re not trying to catch you out. Majority of my questions were multiple choice so even when unsure a bit of deductive reasoning got me to the right answer.

I did well on my theory test, know the content of the theory test book and guide to driving goods vehicles. And only dropped one point in the cpc.

I don’t like waiting around.

I have my theory on the 3rd and have just booked in with peter Smythe for the training stating on the 9th. They explained that if I failed I’d lose the money for the course - but I chose to go ahead anyway. They were totally open with me about it - but I’m very confident of passing and if I wait it gets harder for me to take a week off. I am sponsored to do my phd by a company - and they expect me to spend some time with them. And I don’t think they will be too happy if I said I was going to learn to drive a truck rather than helping in their labs when I’m there.

Anyway - need to practice even more now. It’s not £25ish I’m risking with this theory. It’s nearly £1300 :slight_smile:

sammym:

I have my theory on the 3rd and have just booked in with peter Smythe for the training stating on the 9th. They explained that if I failed I’d lose the money for the course - but I chose to go ahead anyway. They were totally open with me about it - but I’m very confident of passing and if I wait it gets harder for me to take a week off. I am sponsored to do my phd by a company - and they expect me to spend some time with them. And I don’t think they will be too happy if I said I was going to learn to drive a truck rather than helping in their labs when I’m there.

Anyway - need to practice even more now. It’s not £25ish I’m risking with this theory. It’s nearly £1300 :slight_smile:

Have you done the FREE 1000 Qs theory test contained within the link in my signature below :question:

ROG:

sammym:

Have you done the FREE 1000 Qs theory test contained within the link in my signature below :question:

Yes. I’ve also paid about £4 for an app with all the official questions on. Last few practise exams I did I got 99/100/99. I’m not worried about the test if I’m honest.

However to be double sure I’ve ordered the DSA Guide to driving a Goods Vehicle. And I’ll keep practicing.

I don’t want to sound arrogant but I’m not losing sleep about the theory test. CPC case studies I am less sure about. For about £20 there is a website that claims to have hundreds of practice questions. I am open to any other suggestions from those who know about this.

sammym:

ROG:

sammym:

Yes. I’ve also paid about £4 for an app with all the official questions on. Last few practise exams I did I got 99/100/99. I’m not worried about the test if I’m honest.

However to be double sure I’ve ordered the DSA Guide to driving a Goods Vehicle. And I’ll keep practicing.

I don’t want to sound arrogant but I’m not losing sleep about the theory test. CPC case studies I am less sure about. For about £20 there is a website that claims to have hundreds of practice questions. I am open to any other suggestions from those who know about this.

I found with the CPC its the same as the theory, just worded different. I also used an online site but can’t remember which one. I view it as worth it as I got several wrong to start with due to not reading the questions properly. I would always say read it twice to make sure it has sunk in properly

£12.50 = lgvtheory.co.uk/cpc-modules/mod … e-studies/

ROG:
£12.50 = lgvtheory.co.uk/cpc-modules/mod … e-studies/

Cheers - I couldn’t find that on your guide. Either I missed it or it would be a really useful addition :slight_smile: I think case studies is a horrible one - as it’s hard to know what to expect. So most people would be happy to pay the price of a couple of pints to get some experience and practice. I’m signing up now.