C class company training

Hello

Firstly thank you for the add to the forums.

I’m looking to start my HGV driving career. I’ve seen several adverts throughout the year with companies willing to take people in as van drivers and train them to get their C license. Also some that will take you in as a trainee HGV driver.

Question is. Any companies in/near the Bristol area that still do this or is my best bet to get trained myself?

Many thanks

Hi

Firstly, welcome to the forum. I cant help you with any companies in your area that might offer what you suggest. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist; simply that I don’t know of them.

I am clearly biased as I am a trainer, but I truthfully believe you’re better off getting the licence independently. The exception to this would be if you were about to go into debt for training. I never suggest this is a good idea unless you can manage the debt from your current income.

If you choose to arrange your own training, consider our residential course. This is a resume of the current offer which you’ll struggle to beat:

1:1 training
New or very nearly new training vehicle
Fully qualified and registered instructor
Pre-booked driving test at our private test centre on site
Full use of driving test site facilities for your practice
Test fee
Vehicle for test
VAT
Insurance
Mod 4 training
Mod 4 test
Vehicle for Mod 4 test

If you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW, you will also get free accommodation for the duration of your course.

The Mod 4 will take place during the time you are with us for CAT C but wont affect your CAT C training time.

TOTAL cost £1260.

To take advantage of this offer, simply call 01623 555661. You will be asked for £200 deposit with the balance due 2 weeks prior to training. You can negotiate your course dates at the same time.

Offer applies to new bookings only.

All the very best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Leroyharr:
Hello

Firstly thank you for the add to the forums.

I’m looking to start my HGV driving career. I’ve seen several adverts throughout the year with companies willing to take people in as van drivers and train them to get their C license. Also some that will take you in as a trainee HGV driver.

Question is. Any companies in/near the Bristol area that still do this or is my best bet to get trained myself?

Many thanks

Please post links to those ADs so we can help you sort out any brokers or bad deals

Also check out the link in my signature below

This is one of the more recent links ive found.

reed.co.uk/jobs/trainee-hgv … in-bristol

Peter I’m very interested in your course. As an ex pcv driver for first all my training was done in house. Nothing in Bristol offers that

I’ve quoted you the current offer. It wont go away in the next few days but it wont be there for ever.

Leave it with you, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Leroyharr:
This is one of the more recent links ive found.

reed.co.uk/jobs/trainee-hgv … in-bristol

The job is by hgvtrainingnetwork.com/ = got to be a broker as they claim 100+ training centres UK wide and no training school has that many places

My only issue with taking a course that’s away from my home town is that I won’t be familiar with my surroundings. Worried it’ll affect my test

Leroyharr:
My only issue with taking a course that’s away from my home town is that I won’t be familiar with my surroundings. Worried it’ll affect my test

Never going to happen because the instructor will take you to all the difficult spots in the area

Also - post test you are unlikely to be driving on familiar roads which is why examiners expect a LGV candidate to be able to drive on virtually any road - after all. you are already a driver

Like ROG said. Our pass rate (20% higher than national average) is achieved equally by local candidates and our many residential customers. The downside to being local is that, maybe, the candidate can be too comfortable that they are sure they know what will be round the next bend, junction etc. Not knowing the area keeps folks on their toes with brilliant results.

I don’t recall any residential customer failing a test for reasons that could be attributed to not knowing the area.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you. I’ll ring tomorrow to make necessary arrangements.

Another quickie. I have 2 years until my dqc expires and currently have 28 hours of Cpc training before I left first bus.

Does any of that count towards my HGV licence?

Thank you

I have 2 years until my dqc expires and currently have 28 hours of Cpc training before I left first bus.

No quick, accurate, answer. All depends on the details of your licence. Have it handy when you call the office and they’ll sort it to your maximum benefit.

Hope that’s ok, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You’ve been great. Thank you

Leroyharr:
Thank you. I’ll ring tomorrow to make necessary arrangements.

Another quickie. I have 2 years until my dqc expires and currently have 28 hours of Cpc training before I left first bus.

Thank you

Do you have LGV listed on your DQC :question: or is it just PCV :question:
If you have a pre 1997 licence then it is likely to have both

Was the 28 hours already done specific to PCV or was it valid for LGV as well :question: - the certificates should show this

Leroyharr:
You’ve been great. Thank you

Even though I’ve lived in Chesterfield for 10 years now I don’t know Mansfield and the surrounding test routes that we’ll.

Doing it on more unfamiliar roads I believe helps, as you concentrate more than an area you may know.

I had excellent training at Petes and I would recommend his company to anyone.

Obviously I have only used Pete for my C+E and some dodgy training company 1 man band in redditch back in 2003 and did my test at Garrets Green.

But based on what I know now I would have used Pete for my C had I had a choice and known about his company then based on the recommendations they get on here.

I don’t think you can go wrong with Pete and Co.

Leroyharr:

I to thought this might be a problem when trying to find somewhere to do my training recently.
The company I went with was flairtraining.co.uk in Chelmsford an area I had never been to before let alone driven around but did my training and passed my cat C last month and booked in for C+E in November.
More important for me was going to visit the trainer and having a chat with them as your going to be in a cab with them for a good few hours. Different people have different personality’s !!!
Good luck in the hunt.