Newbie after some advice

So I’m new to the driving game, having been in the retail game for 10 years I changed careers this year and only started driving Class 2 around 5 months ago.
I’m loving it by the way! :smiley:
Less time dealing with customers who think they know their rights and don’t etc :laughing:

Anyway, the truck I drive every day has a faulty fuel gauge as in it died on me several weeks ago, I’ve flagged this up on the daily check every day etc and the transport office and manager are aware of the issue.
My question is, could this issue land me in trouble with VOSA should they stop me and check things etc?
I wouldn’t class it as unsafe but at the same time, If I miss judge how far I can go, I could break down and cause an issue on the road.

Starting to get annoyed by the fact the office ain’t fixing the issue and leaving me on the road with it. If this can land me in trouble I’ll be refusing to drive it going forward.

Until it gets fixed can you do a dip test with a piece of wood or plastic for example :question:

Or just open the cap and have look inside. Your eyes can tell it’s half full just as well as the fuel gauge can.

Unless it got an anti syphon like ours.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Absolutely no issue with VOSA. So nothing to worry about there.

If I were you, I’d establish the capacity of the tank (sometimes embossed on it), fill it up and allow no more than 10 mpg. Don’t run it anywhere the limit. End of problem.

For a long time we ran a service type bus that had no gauge and this was the method used. Similarly, many years ago on 1960’s trucks. Either no gauge or not working.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks, folks,

My main concern here was getting into trouble with VOSA as the transport team seem reluctant to fix the issue.
But if I got nothing to worry about there, I guess I’ll plod on doing what I’m doing.

As for running with it faulty, as you’ve all suggested there are many ways to keep an eye on the fuel level. Nothing as convenient as a gauge but there are ways at least.

Just don’t run out! Bleeding the air out of diesel lines is a pain in the bleeding arse. Or from experience it is with a car so I assume if anything even more bothersome with a lorry.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk