First time Tanker Shift

So my agency job today was to go to a water company to take a tanker full of spring water to deliver to a drinks company in Bridgwater (ironic) :smiley:

I am still an newbie even though I have now been driving for 14 months…

I was a bit apprehensive as had thoughts of the water slushing about and wobbling the trailer.

I don’t think I have ever pulled a full load in weight before so pulling 30 tonnes of water that’s 30,000 litres was not easy…

Up the hills on the M5 it did struggle and was down to high 30’s at some point. On the roundabouts (or Islands as the Midlanders call em) I took it easy, I was warned that too much exertion will trigger the sensors to auto brake…not sure how true this is.

Delivery was easy…just reverse to the hose and the operative sprayed some Sodium Chloride on the valve and hose, let some water loose to flush and connected. It did take an hour for it to unload and the ride home was much more relaxed.

Would I do it again…I think so…no curtains, tail lift, double decker, cages, pump truck, magnums, pallets…

I know I’ve been living in the midlands too long as I now call roundabouts islands. Used to argue with the wife over what the proper name should be.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Try asking for a pastie in a buttered barm cake and see what kind of looks you get here… :smiley: :smiley:

Are we going off topic??

When oversensitive cornering auto sensors apply the trailer brakes it feels momentarily like the sensation you get if an inside drive axle wheel has started to spin and TC/ASR has cut the power on a sharp corner, after its happened a few times and you realise cos dry road and say 40mph that no way was a loaded vehicle going to be spinning a drive wheel up like a powerful RWD car.

They are definately weight sensitive (or lean/yaw or both?) because it never triggers on mine when empty.

Incidentally if anyone knows exactly how these things operate it would be interesting to know.

Sounds like a decent days work there BoltonBoy, will you look for such work for full time?

Was it for one of the Utilities companies or water direct etc?

I passed in May and got straight on the water tankers and love it, Did it have the rear steering axle?

Sounds like it was a Peckham Spring job.

boltonboy:
Try asking for a pastie in a buttered barm cake and see what kind of looks you get here… :smiley: :smiley:

Are we going off topic??

Eeeh nowt like a pastie barm ■■■■ :smiley: Proper Bowton delicacy

Juddian:
When oversensitive cornering auto sensors apply the trailer brakes it feels momentarily like the sensation you get if an inside drive axle wheel has started to spin and TC/ASR has cut the power on a sharp corner, after its happened a few times and you realise cos dry road and say 40mph that no way was a loaded vehicle going to be spinning a drive wheel up like a powerful RWD car.

They are definately weight sensitive (or lean/yaw or both?) because it never triggers on mine when empty.

Incidentally if anyone knows exactly how these things operate it would be interesting to know.

Sounds like a decent days work there BoltonBoy, will you look for such work for full time?

Sounds like you already have nailed the technical spec and the empty drive back was much less restricted…

Love to work there more regular but as a limper (why do you call us that?) never know what you get, plus its a bit far for me to commute (50 miles) unless next time they pay out expenses but definitely worth the shot…

JakeWS:
Was it for one of the Utilities companies or water direct etc?

I passed in May and got straight on the water tankers and love it, Did it have the rear steering axle?

Part of South Staffs water, amazing spotless trucks, polished fuel tank and wheels and a good outfit…no rear steering!!

Rat67:

boltonboy:

Are we going off topic??

Eeeh nowt like a pastie barm ■■■■ :smiley: Proper Bowton delicacy

Now do you remember this in the late 70s early 80s when you went to the chippy…

“Can I have Chips with Scraps with pea wet?”

Translation and Summary…

Chips with free bits of fried batter that came off the fish with a spoon full of the soup over your chips that was in the pot of peas…

So a hearty meal for the price for a tray… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

boltonboy:

Juddian:

Love to work there more regular but as a limper (why do you call us that?) .

Its that rather odd Brit sense of humour where we don’t take ourselves too seriously, and long may that continue, EvilBeezle, a regular perma agency here (who has vanished) i reckon started it calling himself a limper and it sort of took off from there.

Some of the humour by-pass mob get the arse about it, but it’s only a nickname, regular agency lads here reckon that a lidl carrier bag is a very fashionable accessory and carrying your worldly goods in one, especially if you have a pronounced limp gives great kudos :wink: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses: :laughing:

Yeah 50 miles is a bloody long way for a days work unless your being paid mileage and/or at least some of the travelling time.

boltonboy:
Now do you remember this in the late 70s early 80s when you went to the chippy…

“Can I have Chips with Scraps with pea wet?”

Translation and Summary…

Chips with free bits of fried batter that came off the fish with a spoon full of the soup over your chips that was in the pot of peas…

So a hearty meal for the price for a tray… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Try asking for that in a chippy now and they look at you like you’re speaking bloody Martian, had to tell the girl in a chippy I went in what scraps were and she was disgusted :smiley:

We called em scrumps down yer!

boltonboy:

Are we going off topic??

I do believe yowm on about a pasty cob ay ya?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

boltonboy:

Are we going off topic??

I do believe yowm on about a pasty cob ay ya?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When I studied in Leicester almost 30 years ago and went to Greggs it was like alien when I ask for a Pastie Barm Cake…“you mean a cob my duck” she said

“flipping heck that was hard” I said

“you should have asked for a soft cob and not a crusty cob” she said

Oh my…

For me it was fish with bits growing up in Doncaster. I love British English. I used to work over near Tranmere and a large barm (insert local alternative here) was called a Bin Lid at the local sandwich shop. Also had a colleague who called it either a muffin or a flour cake (old school Bolton fella)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk