Palletline

Evening all,

I have an interview at Gregory distribution working on Palletline deliveries coming up,
I have my class 2, however have no experience which they are aware of.
Can anyone who has experience of this type of work let me know what’s it honestly like please?

Cheers

Evening Eds, I’ve been doing Palletline for Gregory’s for 7 weeks through an agency, I had no experience of Class 2 work before this, I sure do now! Can I ask which depot?

I done 11 years for 2 different firms on pall-ex same type of work but just different pallet network I enjoyed it on the whole , once you get to know the routes it becomes much easier . If you are put in the same area to cover every day it becomes much better , the worst deliveries I found were house deliveries when you were delivering packs or bricks or jumbo bags of smashed up slate or sand or crates of Slate they order it online and think it’s coming on a vechicle with hiab crane and then customer realising it don’t get delivered how they were expecting it . Then expecting you to do the imposssible with it don’t take any crap from them it’s kerb side delivery or you try your best to get it where you can for then

Indigo:
Evening Eds, I’ve been doing Palletline for Gregory’s for 7 weeks through an agency, I had no experience of Class 2 work before this, I sure do now! Can I ask which depot?

Shepton Mallet depot

My suggestion, don’t.

It’s a thankless bloody job, the pay on pallet type work is hopeless and you’ll have some snot nosed desk jockey with a charisma by-pass on the phone chasing you up…this is the norm anyway, of course Gregory’s could be different.

Normally you will get better pay on catering type supply work like Brakes, yes you’ll do some ■■■■■■■ a sack barrow about.

Go to page four on New driver forum, find the post by Indigo titled First Assignment.
As said heavy and awkward pallets, customers who live in cloud cuckoo land, see it, want it, buy it, get it, on tinterwebby thingy.
Delivery arrives, guess what, its too heavy.
Pump trucks dont work so well over gravel or shingle drive ways.
Lorry expected to go down rural lanes where a van would struggle.
You get your lorry back. , and asked if you have come back from war torn Syria ?
Customers that say the regular driver does this , does that, and will ask you to do what the regular driver does.
This may entail breaking down or splitting down five pallets in to a car garage, as the customer runs a business from their garage.
You have Muller Wiseman and Co op Rdc about an hour eastbound from Shepton, try those .

I’ve been doing this king of work for almost 4 months now. It gets bad publicity on this website in general and I get why. It’s hard work. It can be long hours too. I’ve done deliveries to all sorts of places, RDC’S, retail outlets, garden centres, buliding sites, corner shops, private addresses, farms etc etc. I’ve had days where I’ve felt like taking the motor back to the yard and chucking the keys at the transport manager! As time goes by, the truck feels smaller and the job gets easier, particularly when you get your own run. Your confidence grows and the job becomes more enjoyable. There are so many factors to this type of work. In my opinion the experience you gain is well worth the aggrevation. It’s probably not a job you’d want to do for the rest of your career, but as a newbie it certainly gives you a good grounding in the haulage industry. Anyway as for me, I had my last day as a class 2 multi drop driver on Friday and tomorrow continue my education and experience on an artic with the same company.
One thing’s for sure, the experience I gained doing class 2 multi drop has been invaluable and as such would recommend it to any new driver. If you can hack multi drop, you can hack anything.

I work for a certain green parcel company, got the job a month after passing my class 2, year later they paid for my class 1. Multi dropping in an 18t lorry is hard but like the guy above said, once you can multidrop you can do anything. I deliver small bags all the way up to 6m lengths about 40 drops every day!

Wouldn’t mind doing pallet work though!

iHarry:
I work for a certain green parcel company, got the job a month after passing my class 2, year later they paid for my class 1. Multi dropping in an 18t lorry is hard but like the guy above said, once you can multidrop you can do anything. I deliver small bags all the way up to 6m lengths about 40 drops every day!

Wouldn’t mind doing pallet work though!

Honestly, stay away from pallet work, it’s horrendous, try pulling a 1000kg pallet up an incline or over a rough surface or up a curb, and once you are done you only have 15 more to do that day before you are finished.

I’d pay money to do 40 parcel drops in a day.