Couple questions about multi drop?

Ok been in my first ever class 2 job for about three weeks now and on the most part I am enjoying it. It is multi drop pallet work though and at times find some of the drop points unbelievable. Like how the hell am I suppose to get an 18t rigid there or how can I tip where there are all double yellows and literally no where to park lol.

An example would be yesterday delivered to a bar restaurant at about tea time (rush hour) on a road with compete double yellows. Literally no where I could pull up. In the end there was a wilkos opposite so went round back and parked in there loading yard/car park and dragged it round to the place.

My first question is basically just saying do you get used to this in time and does anyone have any tips on just staying calm lol. Most of time its like industrial drops which are easy but when these tight town places come up the pressure rises lol.

Secondly my tail lift is one of the tiny ones that fold underneath and the plug doesn’t even work so have to raise and lower it from the control box on side manually which isn’t half annoying having to jump up and down all the time. This has also been reported as a defect. Curtain side as well but not all drops are forked off.

Anybody from experience tell me when enough is enough and you just ring it in and say I cant make the drop. What kind of parameters are there for this.

My reversing is getting a bit better but still needs to improve. Will this just come in time and any other tips on this would be great.

Lastly what in peoples opinion are the best types of class 2 work

Sorry for rambling on but just want to be the best I can be. Thanks for reading

I used to park outside the door…when I was multi dropping in London.
Parking tickets were passed onto the customer.

Park outside the door with the correct flow of the traffic with your hazard lights on.

You are allowed a minimum of 20 minutes to load / unload on double yellow lines but here’s the important bit, you must be seen to be continuously loading or unloading and your hazard lights must also be on.

It’s a little rule in the highway code that most people on here don’t know about.

Found the artical i was looking for.

I always parked on double yellows (or double parked) to unload unless there was an obvious marked loading area close by. The only time I got grief off a traffic warden was when I had bumped up onto the pavement to give more room to traffic. He told me to move as I was causing an obstruction, not to traffic but to pedestrians.

cheetham100:
Ok been in my first ever class 2 job for about three weeks now and on the most part I am enjoying it. It is multi drop pallet work though and at times find some of the drop points unbelievable. Like how the hell am I suppose to get an 18t rigid there or how can I tip where there are all double yellows and literally no where to park lol.

An example would be yesterday delivered to a bar restaurant at about tea time (rush hour) on a road with compete double yellows. Literally no where I could pull up. In the end there was a wilkos opposite so went round back and parked in there loading yard/car park and dragged it round to the place.

My first question is basically just saying do you get used to this in time and does anyone have any tips on just staying calm lol. Most of time its like industrial drops which are easy but when these tight town places come up the pressure rises lol.

Secondly my tail lift is one of the tiny ones that fold underneath and the plug doesn’t even work so have to raise and lower it from the control box on side manually which isn’t half annoying having to jump up and down all the time. This has also been reported as a defect. Curtain side as well but not all drops are forked off.

Anybody from experience tell me when enough is enough and you just ring it in and say I cant make the drop. What kind of parameters are there for this.

My reversing is getting a bit better but still needs to improve. Will this just come in time and any other tips on this would be great.

Lastly what in peoples opinion are the best types of class 2 work

Sorry for rambling on but just want to be the best I can be. Thanks for reading

Alot of folk say class 2 work is worst job in transport…bigger truck than a 7.5t ( obviously more to deliver due to size ) and alot of times wages not that much higher to be worth the hassle of driving one. Best class 2 jobs? I have yet to find one

Good Luck

I used to drop the tail lift , back door open on the rigid truck , then sit in Carluccios having a latte, traffic wardens circulating like a fly looking for a ■■■.

cheetham100:
Like how the hell am I suppose to get an 18t rigid there…

Try doing it on an artic - they sometimes send you to the same places! :smiley:

Double yellows - just park there, but try not to block the entire road. People have to go round you, they’ll moan to themselves but I’ve never had anyone actually complain including traffic wardens who for the most part seem to figure you’ve got a job to do. Have parked in some places with an 18T I wouldn’t dream about in a car, and had plenty of police cars pass without even a second look.

Overall, you’ll get braver, but as for getting a decent job, anything but pallets I would say.

Used to do multi drop pallet work doing pet food, and now do multi drop dray work. Double yellows you can park on and un load. Many times I’ve seen traffic wardens and just had a word and they aren’t bothered at all unless you are on the pavement.
Red routes are a different matter official loading bays only. If you park on anything else or even have the tail over the lines expect a ticket.
I’ve only ever rung in once to say a drop isn’t doable and it was when they closed all the roads due to the Grenfell fire and wouldn’t have had time to do the drop and back to the yard.
I’ve taken 18t down some of the most stupid roads, unsuitable for hgv means just that. It’s not that you can’t take a hgv down there its just not going to be easy.
Haven’t got a clue as to the best class 2 work. As every body is different. I wouldn’t want to do timber or builders merchants or fuel tanks but then know lot of people that wouldn’t want to do dray work either. You will find your niche, just takes time.
Best advice I can give is take a breath,don’t panic and try and arm yourself with as much information about the drop area as you can. Talk to old hands that have done that drop before or if they haven’t get on to Google and check out the maps etc. Anything else you want to know or ask feel free to message etc.

There is a difference between parking/waiting (which you are not allowed to do on double yellow lines) and loading/unloading (which is normally permitted). Loading/unloading restrictions are a different kettle of fish and are indicated by kerb markings and accompanying signs.

It’s not rocket science…

We do a regular drop in that London place, you’d pull up outside, walk round to check you could get in, by time back to truck a ticket, then they started using the camera cars, till they got banned, upon reading the tickets, it stated, the reason was, obstructing the pavement ? Was a dropped kerb etc, So boss says not a problem, just park a foot away from the kerb, result, no more tickets, but we now block a one side of the road causing absolute chaos,…

Have you considered 8-wheel tippers?My first class 2 job was on 8-wheel tippers doing a mix of local and distance runs,had a great time.Did some class 2 hiab work for a steel company too,that was also a good job,mixture of industrial and building sites as well as private addresses.You can make a tidy sum with the beer money that’s offered with a hiab job too :wink:

Double yellows and bus stops are put there by the council to show car drivers that section of the road is reserved for HGV parking…crack on drive.