18 Year Old Wannabe

Hi Truck Net,

Hope I’m posting in the right place, apologies if not.
I’m 18, will have had my CAT B for a year come December and looking to get my CAT C & C+E asap but my parents are not soo supportive :cry: I’m being told by them that I shouldn’t bother getting CAT C & C+E because I won’t be able to use them as no one will want to employ me, understandable. Is this accurate and I should wait a few years or will I be able to get work at my young age?

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

The truthful answer is that it will probably be a struggle - but by no means impossible. Employers will generally have to carry a greater excess for a v. young driver.

If, however, you can afford to do the training and not work in that field immediately, go for it. Don’t go into debt for it whatever you do. Training costs are unlikely to be lower as you get older. Some employers count “experience” from the date of your licence so it can work nicely in your favour in a couple of years or so.

We regularly train 18/19 year olds with huge success. I will be honest and say that many are working for family so the way in is a bit easier. A young lady of 18 passed with us yesterday on artic with one driving fault. She will now be taken off her 17 plate 8 wheeler and will be driving a handsome artic. But Dad owns the firm.

If you’re going to do it, go into it with your eyes open. And be prepared for many knock-backs - at the same time persisting until an opportunity comes your way.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think there’s been a couple of other youngsters on here recently starting down the path to their own licences.

I think it’s admirable that you know what you want to do at your age. I didn’t. I imagine it’ll be harder given your age but not impossible. If it’s deffinatly what you want to do with your life then go for it.

Pete says don’t go into debt. I disagree if you have the means to repay a loan. It’s significantly less money than you’d be getting into if you were off to uni.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Pete says don’t go into debt. I disagree if you have the means to repay a loan.

I didn’t make it 100% clear. I would always talk anyone out of going into debt if they are relying on their possible new career to repay the loan.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Pete says don’t go into debt. I disagree if you have the means to repay a loan.

I didn’t make it 100% clear. I would always talk anyone out of going into debt if they are relying on their possible new career to repay the loan.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

That I agree with.

Why not look for an employer who has a range of vehicles, from vans to artics, they might be more likely to give you a start on the vans and if you’re a decent worker they might consider moving you up, either by putting you through your test or it would give you a chance to save up and do it yourself and knowing that you had a job to go to.

Following muckles at your age some firms do apprenticeships. Saves you the cost and has a job at the end. Have you looked into that option?

I got both C and C+E at 19 and am currently 20, managed to get a job at big firm as they take on pretty much any age and have recently started at a small family run company, insurance was a bit of a problem at first but they didn’t mind my age and were able to get their insurance on board. From my experience most companies are willing to give young people a try but the only thing stopping them is insurance restrictions.

Sorry for the late reply, got caught up in something also, very sorry if multi-quote isn’t allowed!

Peter Smythe:
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

The truthful answer is that it will probably be a struggle…

Thank you for the welcome! :slight_smile: Good to hear experience is done on the date of my license. It’s also nice to hear insurance companies are insuring drivers under 25, this was my main worry. You have no idea how much it is to insure a car for me in London. Unfortunately for me, no one in my family runs or has ever been in a haulage firm :frowning:

IronEddie:
I think there’s been a couple of other youngsters on here recently starting down the path to their own licences…

I don’t know why but I’ve always wanted to drive, it’s all I want to do. Hopefully, it doesn’t go south! So far so good. Drove to Spain in August and loved it!

muckles:
Why not look for an employer who has a range of vehicles…

My original plan before some things changed was to try and get a job doing local food deliveries, so that might work!

kcrussell25:
Following muckles at your age some firms do apprenticeships…

I have looked at apprenticeships but I have only been able to find mechanic apprenticeships and some driving ones but end up being a paid course. I might be looking in the wrong place!

trucker6012:
I got both C and C+E at 19 and am currently 20…

Hope it’s all going well for you! My main worry is insurance, it was a lot down in London for a car. :frowning: When I called companies about it, that’s exactly what they said!

Thank you, everyone, for helping me out. Good to have info from people in the industry before going into it!

It’s a fair few years ago, but I started as a coach driver aged 18. And class one driver at 21. There were issues then but there’s always a way if you push hard enough.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was chatting to an agency today who supplies drivers for the Royal Mail contract for the Christmas period.
They didn’t seem interested in how much experience I had, just how long I had held my licence for their insurance policies. The minimum age they took people on at was 23.

Turns out Royal Mail require you to have held your class 1 at least a year for their insurance policies, to qualify for the 3 month Christmas temp work.

Most large fleet operators fund licence training and also pay for the Dcpc, Adr, and fork lift training.
Apprentice schemes available .
Don’t listen to your parents, make your own mind up.
Google DVSA new decisions/applications pages .
It lists addreses of small to large hauliers in your area, then visit them personally.
Do not email, phone or write to them to apply for jobs as they never reply.
Drivers get a job by showing up when a driver didn’t show up for work.
Go to the Gregory Distribution website, loads of driving jobs all over the UK.
Relocation for the right job is viable.
If tramping all week, no need to move, as drive to the yard Sunday, sleep in cab, then if an early start Monday, you are ready to go.

muckles:
Why not look for an employer who has a range of vehicles, from vans to artics, they might be more likely to give you a start on the vans and if you’re a decent worker they might consider moving you up, either by putting you through your test or it would give you a chance to save up and do it yourself and knowing that you had a job to go to.

That’s a good piece of advice. A couple of mine have movedc from vans up to artics and because we already know them it makes the first day out on the road less of a worry.

I had an 21 year old apply, and offered him a job. Impressed me because he’d done what you are thinking of and put himself through his tests.

He was doing agency on for a supermarket. We do Euro, clean work, customers treat you like one of the team, hotels often. And he turned us down because sometimes we might ask him to go out in a van (on Class 1,pay). Prima Donna. :unamused:

albion:
And he turned us down because sometimes we might ask him to go out in a van (on Class 1,pay). Prima Donna. :unamused:

That makes no sense. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

IronEddie:

albion:
And he turned us down because sometimes we might ask him to go out in a van (on Class 1,pay). Prima Donna. :unamused:

That makes no sense. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

As he grew up a bit (no offence OP), I suspect he came to the same conclusion.

Peter Smythe:
It’s a fair few years ago, but I started as a coach driver aged 18…

I would’ve thought it would be even harder to get a job driving coaches at 18, having passengers and all? if food deliveries didn’t work out for whatever reason, my “plan B” was to apply to London bus companies.

DatProJo:

Peter Smythe:
It’s a fair few years ago, but I started as a coach driver aged 18…

I would’ve thought it would be even harder to get a job driving coaches at 18, having passengers and all? if food deliveries didn’t work out for whatever reason, my “plan B” was to apply to London bus companies.

Obviously might vary from company to company but national express who run local busses here in Birmingham state 21 or over.

IronEddie:
Obviously might vary from company to company but national express who run local busses here in Birmingham state 21 or over.

As I’m finding with a lot of companies :frowning:

When I started out, in year dot, it was extremely difficult to get a start at 18. But persistence does pay off. Don’t rely on emails etc. Personal visits is the way forward.

Peter Smythe:
When I started out, in year dot, it was extremely difficult to get a start at 18. But persistence does pay off. Don’t rely on emails etc. Personal visits is the way forward.

Must have been age 21 not age 18 in those days Peter :question: