First day on class 1 no experience Arla Foods

Rambler42:
Hi all first post on here so here goes ,Passed my class 1 almost 18 months ago have no experience driving either class 1 or 2 ,being doing odd handyman jobs for the last while ,fed up with a lot of work some weeks and then a drought other weeks .
Anyway I applied online for a job Class 1 whether I should apply for class 2 jobs first and build up experience is up for anyone to debate ,so a guy from an agency rings and tells me job there if I want at Arla foods Aylesbury £12 and that hourly rate will be going up ,I asked would I be on PAYE he said working under an umbrella company ,I would have questioned it more if I knew what exactly it was ,I let him know that I had no experience and asked would there be an assessment he said no assessment get the keys and away you go, and he went on to say everyone has a first day and described his etc ,he said I would be shown all about operating the tank etc and paperwork ,I didn’t give him an answer basically he left it to me to decide and just ring him up to put the wheels in motion for driving for Arla.
Just seems strange that when Arla advertise for driving jobs an assessment is needed ,any opinions please ■■? Thanks

Have you made a decision yet ?

One of my very first jobs driving an Artic was through a small agency. They sent me to a large firm with the instructions that under no circumstances was I to let them know I had only just passed my test, not ideal but worked out ok in the end. It was catch 22 back then, you couldn’t get a job with no experience so had to take your chances and hope for the best. I think it is a bit better these days as quite a few firms will take you on with no experience, especially larger firms who struggle to get bums on seats.

I would be surprised if a company as big as Arla don’t assess temp drivers before letting them loose though