Air System Checks for Module 4

Probably a silly question but module 4 question asks about checking for air leaks. It says to physically check the air lines/equipment. Is this relevant for rigid or does that only apply to a trailer combination. Even though you are doing a test in a rigid do they want you to explain as if you were driving an artic/trailer?

Thanks.

Just spitballing here since I’ve not done mod 4 yet. But since both rigid and artic use air breaks then it follows that you’d check both types of lorry for leaks in its air lines etc
Unless the question is specifically about the suzies.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

It’s not a silly question at all. And I’m sure your trainer will take you through everything you need to know prior to your test. So don’t worry about it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Its a standard question, and easy to answer.
Just tell them you will check the gauges reach pressure, if not you will drain the tank by depressing the brake pedal until empty.
Try and fill the tanks again, if the gauges still don’t get to the required pressure you will get out and walk around the vehicle listening for air leaks to determine where the problem lies.
Don’t worry about the Mod 4, it is VERY easy to pass, as long as you listen to your instructor.
Good luck

Its about using your noodle. You’ll first check the pressure gauges in the cab, then pump the brake to drop the pressure then let the engine idle to build up the pressure again. Since I’d expect most trainers gear to be in working order you won’t hear a hiss but when you get out in the road you may encounter a unit/trailer thats ■■■■■■■ air. Sometimes you can hear it if its a large leak, other times you’ll only notice it because there is no air in your seat and you get the buzzers going nuts when you turn her over.

In terms of the test. As long you make an effort to stick your ear under the body near the axles then you should be fine. Mod 4 is show and tell, make sure you go through the motions when your telling the examiner what your doing.

Thanks for responses. It was mainly about whether there are pipes/etc… that you need to specifically inspect as part of the walk around check on a rigid that i was concerned about. Rest of it pretty straightforward. Although i gather you wouldn’t mess around pumping footbrake every time you carry out daily check? Maybe once a week. Maybe press it a few times until audible alarm goes off.

Anyway, i went to a lot of trouble working out the the way i was going to explain the walkaround check only to watch a couple of videos and they do it in a completely different way! There is a video from the FTA which seems to suggest that you should never start the engine until you have checked oil, etc…

So does it make sense to always start by getting into cab turning on ignition and checking if anything needs topping up and if so do that before you do anything else? [i’m not talking about module 4 here as there is i suppose no point in saying things that are not required to pass - i’m assuming the examiner doesn’t want you to go on and on about checks that are not on the crib sheet. I’m speaking about when you are in a job].

For module 4 purposes i was thinking: In cab lights on do a walk around check of lights, reflectors, number plates. Back in cab. Cockpit drill. Expalin air leak procedure don’t need to demonstrate. Mention i would normally use a brake pedal tool. Then out of vehicle walkaround check.

Does that sound about right.

FULL DETAILS BELOW. DVSA VIDEO DOES SAY EVERYONE WILL HAVE THEIR OWN PREFERRED WAY BUT I SUPPOSE SOME WAYS ARE MORE LOGICAL THAN OTHERS.

ANY TIPS APPRECIATED. ANYTHING TO ADD. ANYTHING I DON’T NEED TO SAY?

THANKS.

Lights Check: Turn on lights and walk around vehicle checking they are all working and clean. While doing this check reflectors are all present, not damaged, clean and clear. Check number plates are present and not obscured. Turn lights off. Cockpit Check: Handbrake applied/neurtral or park selected. Check mirrors are positioned correctly so can see down both sides of vehicle. Clean and not cracked or damaged in any way. Check class V and VI mirrors as well. [Depending on where they are check speed limiter plaque/tachograph plaque either in cab or before getting into vehicle. Also check speed limiter setting.] Windscreen clean and clear. No damage. No stickers or mascots restricting view. Height indicator present. [Ignition should still be on]. Check washers and wipers. Check horn. Check instrument panel for any warning lights. Make sure speedo is illuminated. Check air pressure gauges. Start engine. Hold steering wheel lightly to check power assisted steering is working. Check for excessive exhaust smoke. EXPLAIN AIR LEAKS PROCEDURE NO NEED TO DEMONSTRATE: Build up air pressure. [Could also pump footbrake to empty air tanks to check audible warning is working.] Check air pressure gauges are workng with engine running. When tanks full carry out a rolling brake test. Stop engine and walkaround looking for air leaks. Can also use a brake pedal application tool or have someone assist. Walkaround Check: [Start at engine.] Vehicle sitting square, not leaning. Look under engine for leaks. Check wipers. Pull away from windscreen check no tears and they are in good condition and grip windscreen. [As walking around say that you are listening out for air leaks]. Walk around vehicle checking for anything loose, sharp, not closed properly that could endanger other road users and pedestrians. Make sure doors close properly. Give mirror arms a tug. Check tyres are correctly inflated. Tyres have at least 1mm tread depth across 3/4 of width and all around the circumference. No bulges, rips or cord exposed. Wheels not warped or corroded. Wheel nuts not loose or missing. Check for rust lines. Wheel nut indicators (if fitted) are pointing in correct direction. Check inbetween double wheels for debris such as rocks or bricks. Mudguards are firmly in place, not damaged. Suitable clearance from tyres. Not clogged up with mud. Mud flap firmly in place not hanging loose and not clogged up with mud. Not too close to ground. Cover whole width of tyre. Double tyres for touching. Susepnsion is in good condition. No damage, cracking or warping. Smiling not frowning. Battery is secure and no leaks on ground or around pipework. Fuel tank is secure. No leaks. Filler cap in place and secure. Cargo door is secure (top and botom). EXPLAIN DON’T OPEN CARGO DOOR: Say you would open cargo door and check whether empty or loaded. If empty make sure nothing rolling around inside. If loaded make sure it is secure and the vehicle and axles are not overloaded.

Sorry, but this is ridiculously over-complicated and mixes up answers to different questions.

Strongly suggest you go for training with an instructor who knows the requirements.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

How do you mean over complicated Pete? Pretty much covers what the crib sheet requires. And watching the videos and putting it into words it only covers the minimum needed to get the full 20%. I’ve made another one based on info from the FTA/RHA which goes into much greater details which would be relevant only when you do the checks for real in a job.

It may not be as logical as some could organise it but i think it all is needed to pass.

There are other questions as you say but this one i imagine requires covering the full list of items on the check sheet which i think i’ve done.

In the videos they don’t tend to combine the light check with reflectors/number plates they do that after the cockpit drill when walking around but i can’t help thinking more sensible to kill two birds woth stone as they say.

The last bit about the load/overloaded may be unnecessary if he has already asked me to check if the vehicle is overloaded. But even so that is still part of the typical daily walk around check which i assume the examiner wants to make sure you can do.

It would be helpful if you could put up the “perfect” answer that way no one would need to ask again. There seems to be little info on this. We are told to check the pdf Q&A. That doesn’t really help because it doesn’t go into any details. Just bullet points. We check out the videos. Most don’t help because questions are missed out or they are answered in different ways. Is one right the other not? No sod knows. Trainers just say you’ll find out when you get the proper training but don’t want to say more.