Driver cpc on day off

Anyone faced this scenario ?

I’m salaried and have been asked to go in on a scheduled day off to do a cpc day. My current driver cpc does not expire until 2022. When I put this to them, the response was that it is a continuous process and company policy for their insurance.

Hades3000:
Anyone faced this scenario ?

I’m salaried and have been asked to go in on a scheduled day off to do a cpc day. My current driver cpc does not expire until 2022. When I put this to them, the response was that it is a continuous process and company policy for their insurance.

If the employer has TOLD you to do it then it cannot be counted as rest for the EU regs - it is other work in this instance

Tell them you plan on quitting driving when it’s expires so have no need to go on CPC courses.

If your company are paying for your CPC, which they don’t have to, then within reason they can pretty much say when you have to take it. I expect they want each driver to do one course/7 hours a year.

If they aren’t paying for it and you have to pay them for the day then I would tell them to do one.

A decent firm will pay for the course, and pay you OT to attend (unless it was on a normal work day)

As stated it is on a rest day. Clearly they want me to complete the training on a day off so they can keep the truck on the road for when I’m next on. What I find interesting is that when I’m on my days off and the other driver I share the truck with needs a day/days off, they ask me to come in and cover him which is paid as overtime. In either scenario I am being asked to come in on a day off, so why is one paid and the other not I wonder.

Additionally my driver cpc is valid until Feb 2022, so certainly no urgency.

In one respect they are paying you, they are giving you 7 hours CPC training for free which you would otherwise have to pay for. As I said, a decent firm would also pay you to come in and attend but many don’t. Some smaller firms might expect the driver to arrange, pay for, and attend the course in their own time as it is the drivers responsibility.

Regarding not needing it until 2022, many haulage firms who do provide their drivers with “free” CPC training do so by asking the drivers to attend 7 hours per year so that they don’t end up having to provide potentially lots of drivers with 35 hours training in the last year, which makes sense from their point of view.

I was salaried in last job and had to attend on a day off. Was promised overtime pay which surprise surprise never made it into my pay packet.
It did the following month after unleashing on the [zb]s.