Career change

Firstly, thanks for accepting me into the group. I’ve been skimming through some of the good info on here, I think it’ll be a useful resource.

I’ve recently been told I’ll be out of a job at the end of the year and my wife has been wanting to move to Sweden for years (thats where her family is) so now seems like the time to move. The problem is that there aren’t many jobs in northern Sweden and even less for a Scottish guy who’s grasp of the swedish language extends to a few swear words and ordering a beer.

Trucking, however, is a job in high demand over there and requires only limited swedish. I will be getting a redundancy payout of sorts which should almost cover class 2 and 1 training (assuming i don’t end up having to do re-tests).

So it seems like a career change is in order. I’ve never had a driving job before although I’ve had jobs that involve a lot of driving and i quite enjoy being being the wheel. But more importantly than that, I’ve got a family to support and I don’t mind a bit of hard graft.

I’m interested to have a deeper look into the forum and I’d be interested to hear of any experiences you guys have had working for companies in Europe or Sweden in particular. Also, if anyone has done their training with Ritchies or GTG in Glasgow I’d be interested to hear how they were.

Anyway i’m going on a bit now so ill sign off but im sure ill have plenty of questions over the next few months.

Moz

Hi Moz,
I am in a similar position as you. I live in Poland and have a limited knowledge of the language. Having a Polish wife by my side doesn’t help when out shopping as it’s always quicker for her to do the speaking!!
I will start working for a Polish hauler next week and (apart from the licence, DCPC and Tacho card) the only prerequisite is “basic English”. I will be on general haulage mainly from Poland/Czech/Hungary heading north to Sweden and Norway. Having looked around over here for work I would say that 80% of job adverts state that Basic English or German (I’m right on the Polish/German boarder) are required. Also I wouldn’t worry about the ‘2 years prior experience’ which seems common in the UK, loads of employers over here will happily take on new drivers.
Good luck in your training and should it all work out for you give me a shout when you’re in Sweden and if I’m over there we’ll meet up for a beer or 2.

I contacted GTG with a view to training at their West Midlands site. Never heard back from them. They might be fantastic, I’ll never know. Not impressed.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

barrykam:
Hi Moz,
I am in a similar position as you. I live in Poland and have a limited knowledge of the language. Having a Polish wife by my side doesn’t help when out shopping as it’s always quicker for her to do the speaking!!
I will start working for a Polish hauler next week and (apart from the licence, DCPC and Tacho card) the only prerequisite is “basic English”. I will be on general haulage mainly from Poland/Czech/Hungary heading north to Sweden and Norway. Having looked around over here for work I would say that 80% of job adverts state that Basic English or German (I’m right on the Polish/German boarder) are required. Also I wouldn’t worry about the ‘2 years prior experience’ which seems common in the UK, loads of employers over here will happily take on new drivers.
Good luck in your training and should it all work out for you give me a shout when you’re in Sweden and if I’m over there we’ll meet up for a beer or 2.

That would be good. I’ll be there from Feb next year. In Umeå if you’re ever up there.

IronEddie:
I contacted GTG with a view to training at their West Midlands site. Never heard back from them. They might be fantastic, I’ll never know. Not impressed.

It must be the West Midlands branch. Glasgow got back to me the next day. Their loss…

Indeed there loss. I’m off to Peter Smythe instead. Did like the look of GTG on the basis that they’re one of the few with registered instructors.

IronEddie:
Indeed there loss. I’m off to Peter Smythe instead. Did like the look of GTG on the basis that they’re one of the few with registered instructors.

What are their pass rates? Do you know?

Mozza83:

IronEddie:

Actually yes! It’s public information download this from this link gov.uk/government/statistic … est-centre

GTG Glasgow had a pass rate of 68.5% for 2016/17. No data yet for the 2017/18.

Peter Smythe I’m pleased to see is up at 74.9% for 2016/17.

Pass rates never tell the full picture - all they do is state what percentage of all tests taken have been passed

Being very silly but showing how it could work … 100 tests for 80 trainees with 79 passing first time and 1 passing on the 21st time = pass rate of 80% !!

ROG:
Pass rates never tell the full picture - all they do is state what percentage of all tests taken have been passed

Being very silly but showing how it could work … 100 tests for 80 trainees with 79 passing first time and 1 passing on the 21st time = pass rate of 80% !!

In fairness though when it’s the only data available it should be used as part of the broader picture of ‘is this a good trainer’.

Mozza83:

barrykam:
Hi Moz,

That would be good. I’ll be there from Feb next year. In Umeå if you’re ever up there.

Good luck Mozza - my lads head up through Umea from time to time. Can’t help you with jobs out there, but everyone comes back and says how fantastic Sweden is.

albion:

Mozza83:

barrykam:
Hi Moz,

Good luck Mozza - my lads head up through Umea from time to time. Can’t help you with jobs out there, but everyone comes back and says how fantastic Sweden is.

Thanks Albion. It is a great place. I’ve already seen a lot of the country on two wheels so im looking forward to seeing more of it on 6+ wheels if all goes well.

IronEddie:

Mozza83:

IronEddie:

Actually yes! It’s public information download this from this link gov.uk/government/statistic … est-centre

GTG Glasgow had a pass rate of 68.5% for 2016/17. No data yet for the 2017/18.

Peter Smythe I’m pleased to see is up at 74.9% for 2016/17.

That’s great info, thanks.

I’m pretty flexible where i can train so i may head for one of the trainers in the high 80%'s.

I went with Ritchies and they were excellent. One minor fault over the two tests.Trucks and facilities are very good.

Dingy:
I went with Ritchies and they were excellent. One minor fault over the two tests.Trucks and facilities are very good.

Was that in Glasgow, Dingy?

Passed both Class 1 and 2 first time at Ritchie’s in Springburn. When I trained at the end of 2014/ start of 2015 rigid was taught in 4 over 4 Volvos and artic was auto Volvos. Would recommend them to anyone I had a very good experience.

Mozza83:

Dingy:

Was that in Glasgow, Dingy?

Yes

harrawaffa:
Passed both Class 1 and 2 first time at Ritchie’s in Springburn. When I trained at the end of 2014/ start of 2015 rigid was taught in 4 over 4 Volvos and artic was auto Volvos. Would recommend them to anyone I had a very good experience.

Does that mean you can only drive auto arctics now?

Mozza83:

harrawaffa:

Manual for all as driver already has a manual in B or C

Mozza83:

harrawaffa:

No I can drive manual as well. Because I passed Class 2 in a manual.