P&H Advice ( North East )

Am just looking for some advice about P&H hopefully in the north east.

Am currently doing pallets and today i was contacted about a class 2 job with P&H.

I meanaged to get my questions answered.

He says it’s salaried at £21,450

He also says you normally work 9 - 10 hours a day.

Hr says it’s 5 days on and 3 days off so you will work some weekends by the seems of things.

He says lorry is already loaded for you at the each of every shift and when you get to your drop all you have to do is pull the totes, which is a plastic box to the end of the lorry and the shop staff carry it in.

He says you may have to work a bank holiday if your shift falls on it but you get a day off else where.

Am currently working Monday to friday 8am till 5pm and on £8.50 an hour.

I just don’t want to leave a middle of the road job to be in a horrible job.

Well-Jell:
He says lorry is already loaded for you at the each of every shift and when you get to your drop all you have to do is pull the totes, which is a plastic box to the end of the lorry and the shop staff carry it in.job.

Sounds like he is just telling you what he thinks you want to hear…

A mate of mine works for them & the stuff is in full size roll cages & you the driver have to unload the cages & put the stuff where the shop wants it & take the empty cage back + when you get back to the depot put it on a bay & unload the empties

That’s a really low salary for P&H. I appreciate it’s in the north but at my depot the salary is 33k + 2K bonus.

That’s 4* 12 hr days

Hey, I work at the fareham depot and from the sounds he’s not being entirely truthful. Yes the lorry is loaded when you get there, you goto the office, get your route and keys and off you trot. 9 - 10 hours is a dream, I’m usually working 12 to 15 hours a day, maybe different pay but I’m salaried to 28,875 a year working 4 days on and 3 days off a week, so 12 hour days minimum over 4 days is 48hours. Never got a choice about bank holidays, work them if its in my rota unless I choose to have it off as a holiday. no premium if you do work it.

If I had a choice, I’d stick with the pallets, you have to handball rollers into various stores, some of which are in stupid places that make it rather difficult. It’s very physical and If I could, I’d try and find somewhere else to work haha. Hell, I’m looking for another job because I hate it that much. But if you take it, good luck :smiley:

Thank you to everybody who replied.

I have also heard months ago that the job involves heavy cages that you have to unload and put all the products away yourself by hand but thought i must have getting one job mixed up with another.

By the sounds of things I’ll be going into a worse job with less money, more hours and loosing 2 weekends a week, every week.

Thank yous so much guys.

I think I’ll stay where i am.

The totes sounds like the sandwiches. At Shell garages you carried them in. The staff would unpack the boxes, but you did had to collect and scan the returns. Not a physical job particularly by P&H standards but certainly not just put them at end of lorry. I would be very surprised if a few roll cages per delivery weren’t added onto that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nerodio:
Hey, I work at the fareham depot and from the sounds he’s not being entirely truthful. Yes the lorry is loaded when you get there, you goto the office, get your route and keys and off you trot. 9 - 10 hours is a dream, I’m usually working 12 to 15 hours a day, maybe different pay but I’m salaried to 28,875 a year working 4 days on and 3 days off a week, so 12 hour days minimum over 4 days is 48hours. Never got a choice about bank holidays, work them if its in my rota unless I choose to have it off as a holiday. no premium if you do work it.

If I had a choice, I’d stick with the pallets, you have to handball rollers into various stores, some of which are in stupid places that make it rather difficult. It’s very physical and If I could, I’d try and find somewhere else to work haha. Hell, I’m looking for another job because I hate it that much. But if you take it, good luck :smiley:

Out of interest why do you choose to work more than 12 hours per day?

If your route is not achievable in 12 hours then surely you bring the goods back. You’re restricted to a 48 hour week so you’ll be due some time off in lieu soon if you’re knocking out 15 hour days.

jonnyboat:

Nerodio:

If your route is not achievable in 12 hours then surely you bring the goods back. You’re restricted to a 48 hour week so you’ll be due some time off in lieu soon if you’re knocking out 15 hour days.

I am contracted to work a minimum of 12 hours, but they get funny if you start bringing stuff back. last time I did, they gave me an earful.

dani1972:
The totes sounds like the sandwiches. At Shell garages you carried them in. The staff would unpack the boxes, but you did had to collect and scan the returns. Not a physical job particularly by P&H standards but certainly not just put them at end of lorry. I would be very surprised if a few roll cages per delivery weren’t added onto that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The totes are full of cigs,2k-3k worth of cigs per box hence the added attention to your vehicle when you’re delivering to rough areas

Nerodio:

jonnyboat:

Nerodio:

I am contracted to work a minimum of 12 hours, but they get funny if you start bringing stuff back. last time I did, they gave me an earful.
[/quote]

That’s a honest response. I was in a similar position when I first started. I use to think it was a failing on my part when I was out longer than routed or brought stock back. I’ve been doing the job over three years now and the only reward you get for doing a 14 hour day is a 15 hour one tomorrow.

If you must insist in staying out then keep a track of your driving ours as they should average out at 48. They’ll owe you some time off

jonnyboat:

Nerodio:

jonnyboat:

Nerodio:

[/quote]

That’s a honest response. I was in a similar position when I first started. I use to think it was a failing on my part when I was out longer than routed or brought stock back. I’ve been doing the job over three years now and the only reward you get for doing a 14 hour day is a 15 hour one tomorrow.

If you must insist in staying out then keep a track of your driving ours as they should average out at 48. They’ll owe you some time off

I did find when I started that I was getting back late. But I seem to be getting back about an hour or so later then the roadnet tells me to get back. But the transport team just tell me to ignore it, because it tends to give you rather unrealistic times. It assumes that you get to a drop with no traffic, no issues parking, sorting out cigs etc. They haven’t moaned at me for being late back.