HIAB or ADR

Been drivin nearly 18 months now an want to upgrade me licence…Any pointers whether to do hiab or adr…I’ve only got class 2 at the min also…thanks

I’m heavily biased as I don’t provide HIAB training. But the Trucknet rate for ADR is only £450 fully inclusive of exams, VAT and accommodation for the duration of the course.

Beat that if you can!!

btw, did I mention the 100% pass rate?

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers m8 I was leaning towards that one myself as I’ve always wanted drive petrol tankers but think you need about ten years experience I’ve heard but I’ve been told I can start putting some chemicals on my truck where I work now if I had that…
How long does the course take and is it just 1 class of adr to cover all as some1 at work said there’s 7…cheers…

There’s 9 classes in ADR, but Class1 explosives and Class 7 radioactives are not much called for and unless you kow you have a job lined up for them, a waste of time and money for you to do.

We do Class 1 and I’d rather take the right driver and put him through training myself than a half right driver with Class 1, IYSWIM.

How long does the course take and is it just 1 class of adr to cover all as some1 at work said there’s 7…cheers…

Monday to Friday.

There’s 9 classes in ADR, but Class1 explosives and Class 7 radioactives are not much called for and unless you kow you have a job lined up for them, a waste of time and money for you to do.

So our course covers the other 7 classes.

Thanks I’m just tryin work out what’s best class to do for the jobs in our area is it 450 for each class…Just wondering which is most popular I’m defo interested in it once saved money up…thanks again …

The Trucknet user deal for the 7 classes is £450. This includes free accommodation if you live more than 70 miles from us, exam fees and VAT. Apart from travel costs, that’s it.

I don’t think you can beat that.

NELSON76:
Thanks I’m just tryin work out what’s best class to do for the jobs in our area is it 450 for each class…Just wondering which is most popular I’m defo interested in it once saved money up…thanks again …

Hi NELSON76,

An ADR course is highly customisable, and the length of tuition time needed depends on which modules you select.

Once you’ve worked out what you want, you can save time/money by cutting out the modules you don’t need.

In order to obtain an ADR licence, you have to do the core module, there’s no choice with that one I’m afraid.

You then decide how you’re going to carry the ‘stuff,’ so you need to choose EITHER packages/bulk, OR in tanks.

The you choose which of the 9 available Classes you wish to carry.

For example… if you’re only going to deliver gas cylinders, you’d only need Core, Packs and Class 2 (gases.)

As another example, if you’re only going to drive a fuel tanker, you’d only need Core, Tanks and Class 3 (flammable liquids.)

The above is handy for those who know exactly what they need.

In your case a ‘general’ ADR qualification is probably best, so I’d advise you to take Core, Packs and all Classes (Except Classes 1 and 7,) which would give you all general chemical classes. This would take 3 days, plus approx half a day to do the exams.

If there’s no likelihood of you needing to drive a tanker carrying dangerous goods, I’d advise you to leave off the tanker module, which would save you approx 1.5 days of tuition and one exam.

An ADR course can give you up to 28hrs of DCPC.

Another thing to consider is that it’s perfectly possible to take the cut-down version of modules, which saves on expensive tuition and exams, yet be there as a DCPC candidate for the rest of the lessons to gain the max DCPC hours available.

Just doing Core, Packs, Classes 2 (Gases) & 3 (Liquids) and Tanks should save you a couple of bob.
Oil and Gas firms are on the prowl for winter mini-bulk tanker and cylinder drivers.

Peter Smythe:

Monday to Friday.

So our course covers the other 7 classes.

Value for money Pete :smiley:

I want to do my ADR next year and would like all classes except explosives and radioactives, i’m in Dorset and would like to know which company to go with local(ish) to me? I will admit that Peter Smythe at £450 is tempting even if its in Sutton-In-Ashfield! Whats the accommodation like just out of interest?

The accommodation website is centralprivatehotel.co.uk/

Never had any serious negative comments. Nothing unduly fancy but perfectly adequate for a few days.