Interview later today

I’ve been invited for an interview today with a local company. The job is delivering and collecting refuse and skip lorries all over the country. I’m told I will have use of a hire car for the return journey. Pay isn’t great at £9 an hour but a massive improvement on the minimum wage I currently get for driving coaches on school contracts. Fingers crossed that I’ll do ok.

All the best for the interview. Be very aware that use of hire cars is unusual. It’s more often an allowance for train fares then you end up hitch hiking to make a bit of bunce.

So I suggest you just dig into that a bit rather than get caught out.

Hope it all goes well, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good Luck…

I had a stint working for a vehicle movement company, as was agency we always had a minibus ferrying us around and on the odd occasion a hire car for the return leg. Really enjoyed it as got loads of experience from driving a fire engine to a dumper truck to a Skoda CitiCar…with some mileage from 10km to almost 2,000,000km

If they are going to say you may have to use public transport in between then make sure you are getting paid per hour for the privilege together with costs paid for (if not up front).

Good luck…pay is a bit low poor but if its experience you need then you will enjoy it…I certainly have had some bin vans to deliver back to auction/dealer sites…got loads of rubber gloves if anyone wants any… :smiley:

Peter Smythe:
All the best for the interview. Be very aware that use of hire cars is unusual. It’s more often an allowance for train fares then you end up hitch hiking to make a bit of bunce.

So I suggest you just dig into that a bit rather than get caught out.

Hope it all goes well, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sound advice right there. Never heard of the hire car thing but picked up enough trade platers in my time to know that sounds very unusual.

Some of the guys who go in with eyes wide open are OK with the hitch hiking thing. But it doesn’t suit everyone so don’t be afraid to ask about it.

Good luck.

Thankyou everyone for your advice and good wishes. I felt the interview went well as the guy said I ticked all the boxes.
He had one other applicant to interview and I’ll know the result tomorrow. I did clarify that a hire car is provided and this was confirmed.
They use enterprise rent a car. As the shifts are paid through without deductions for breaks, I’ll actually earn £100 a week more than I do now for the same amount of hours at work !
I don’t have much luck generally but am hoping that might change this time.

Great result. Hope its good news tomorrow.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Cheers Pete. I’ve been offered the job and start on 2nd October after serving my notice at the coach firm.
Having responsibility for up to 70 young lives several times a day on a 12 metre coach for minimum wage isn’t my idea of fun !
The boss says she can’t afford to pay us any more but bought 3 brand new Volvo and Yutong coaches and a brand new Audi for herself in the past 12 months.

fernando:

Peter Smythe:

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Cheers Pete. I’ve been offered the job and start on 2nd October after serving my notice at the coach firm.
Having responsibility for up to 70 young lives several times a day on a 12 metre coach for minimum wage isn’t my idea of fun !
The boss says she can’t afford to pay us any more but bought 3 brand new Volvo and Yutong coaches and a brand new Audi for herself in the past 12 months.

Sounds like you’re right to be getting out. She keeps drivers long? Guessing not.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

A good move, by the looks of it.

I take your point about your current employer. Excellent way to make sure that your staff aren’t loyal!

Peter Smythe:
A good move, by the looks of it.

I take your point about your current employer. Excellent way to make sure that your staff aren’t loyal!

No one stays for long. Its the place of last resort when drivers have been fired from everywhere else lol.
Not in my case but its just about kept the wolf from the door whilst I looked for something better.