Realistic wage expectations

Hi, 1st time posting here but have been a visitor here for a few months . I am a full time cab driver at the moment but I literally can not do it anymore, it’s one of them jobs where everybody you pick up is an absolute idiot, And the people who I work for are far far worse. I currently earn around 25k after tax and n.i .
I am an experienced mechanic and mot tester but in my area the wages are closer to 20k and I cannot take that much of a hit being the sole provider for my wife and kids (mortgage) etc etc .
I currently have my class 2 through working as a mechanic but have never driven anywhere apart from in the yard (apart from my training and test of course) I have my class 1 booked at the start of October . Wish me luck !
So apart from just saying hi, I was wondering what is a realistic wage figure would be for a fresh class 1 driver? Am I likely to get close to the 25k that I’m currently earning? Am I likely to find a job? I’m not fussy about work and will do anything to pay the bills tbh, Days - nights - tramping- trunking - multi-drop . I am currently in Cardiff area . Thanks guys
Mike

Unless you have some contacts or good luck then from what I read on this forum it is more likely you will get part time agency work

Driver shortage = myth … Job ADs are virtually all agency … Newbies not being grabbed by employers for full time perm the moment they pass

Many have been lucky by getting out there and handing CVs personally to TMs + car boot packed with work gear just in case they need you now especially on a monday morning

You might benefit from speaking to local recovery / heavy recovery firms - if you can combine lgv and your mechanic experience in that role hopefully will bring a suitable wage. The nature off the beast does tend to mean some on call / nights though.

Here in the Midlands you’ll take home between 550 and 650 (all in) as a mon-fri day tramper.
And there’s plenty of work.
First page on indeed (for my area) currently showing 19 adverts from direct companies

njl:
You might benefit from speaking to local recovery / heavy recovery firms - The nature off the beast does tend to mean some on call / nights though.

This is something I have thought about, but get a feeling I would end up changing truck tyres on the side of the m4 I torrential rain. Nights out would be no problem . I am used to working up to 80hrs per week mixing nights/weekends and days

Commonrail, are any of these companies likely to start somebody with little exp. ? Commuting would be no problem .

I get the feeling you’ll do well mate, you aint afraid of a bit of graft and are doing it for the right reasons, family.

Like most new job moves you’ll have to walk your way in before you can run, but it sounds like you are a realistic feller, so i have no doubt you’ll soon be searching out a decent number.

Remember this, the industry whilst large is relatively small in so many ways, if you earn yourself a reputation as a good reliable driver who looks after the kit and the customer, you’ll be surprised who notices and how approving nods can open otherwise closed lucrative doors at the mention of your name.

As said the way to get a start is by knocking on doors, i’ve been doing the job over 40 years now, only ever got one job via and advert, the worse job of me life which i packed in after 3 months, the rest of my jobs have either been knocking on doors (where i am now, tankers, good job) or by chasing up after hearing word of mouth.

You’ll ■■■■ £25k no bother, a grafter should be on at least £35k plus night out money after the initial running in period.

Good luck.

Miketyres:
Commonrail, are any of these companies likely to start somebody with little exp. ? Commuting would be no problem .

I’d try all of them.

Thanks to everybody for the replies,
I am very fortunate to have never been out of work , stumbled upon being a cab driver as a stop gap so to speak but instantly fell in love with the driving aspect of my work and never tire of it.
I have never left a job without having another to get straight into. It’s just the thought of part time ad-hoc agency frightens me to death lol. I have always known when my next pay packet hits the bank (for my whole working life ) so at least I can continue to do the job I’m in until I find something.
Again thanks for all the replies and help

You will be fine mate… gotta disagree with people saying you won’t get work only agency crap. I passed just over 1 year ago and been driving coming up 1 year (2 months after I passed) but was in a job so could of been sooner realistically… I tramp all week (Get a couple of nights at home during the week occasionally) and you can earn good money as mentioned 35k is easily achievable but long hours and not much home life. If you want it you can have it just don’t give up keep pestering employers call in and speak to them I got my job by doing it. It shows your keen and willingness.

I live just outside cardiff I passed my class 1 last year had about 4 job offers I got a job at Aldi rdc in wentloog I earn 11.90 berfore 6pm and 14 after then after 1 year it goes up to 13.5 and 16 so there is work out there

I’m a new pass too. I work sunday to Wednesday and pull just short of 400 a week. Average around 10 hours a day. And about only 6/7 hours of that is driving. But I’m home every night and it’s ment my wife can go back to full time work aswell. Get cvs printed and your face into the offices. I only applied for two or three jobs and got one within 3 weeks of passing class 1. I’m in Yorkshire and there seems to be plenty of work.