Career change imminent

Morning everyone. I’d like to introduce myself. I’m Rustyspoon85, name comes from an old gamertag. Seems to have stuck.

Anyway I digress. My situation is that I work full time in smart implementation on a secondment. My issue being is that when it ends I will change to my previous job which is 10k less :cry:. So naturally I’m looking at my options one of which is to become a trucker class 1.

So I have many questions to ask and I was hoping you can help.

1. Is it possible to get onto a salary from day 1 or is it always hours. My concern is hourly the time you put in May be unpredictable and I need a steady income.

2. I have watched YouTube videos to get a feel for the job. How do you know where to do when you arrive at your destination?

3. What do you do if you get lost. I assume you ring the office but how good are the instructions to get you where you need to be?

4. So I’m in the south tyneside area with links to Teesside and we have the port of tyne close by. Trunking is what I’d like to do at first but I can’t seem to find a trunking job that’s day work. All the jobs seem to be night work or not trunking. How hard is it to get a job after you pass.

5. What wage would you typically come out with after tax in my area?

6. If I learn automatic, and I get a job and they say manual, can I tell them I trained as automatic and cannot drive manual? Or do I just have to figure it out myself?

7. I read that there is a massive shortage of drivers and they are looking into robotic trucks, what’s your take on this? Is driving going to die out due to this. I hear that our roads are not suitable due to the distance between motorway enterance/exits.

8. So let’s say I’ve passed today, where would I go to find a trunking job. Do I contact am agency? Do I contact companies direct. What’s the best way?

9. Last of All, what is the job like? My role has always been office based however I think I need a change to cover my loss in wages as I’ll be down to 18k once smart meter program at work has finished.

10. Does age matter, I’m in my early 30s.

Thank you for you time helping me out.

More often than not you will be on agency which is not guaranteed hours on various hourly rates

Learn in auto then ask other drivers how a particular manual or other types of auto work - there are loads of different ones

There is not a driver shortage - that can be seen by the fact the jobs ADs are virtually all agency not by employers + if there was a real shortage newbies and training schools would be targeted by companies the moment they had a new pass.

I’m learning myself and I’m in my early 30s no I don’t think age matters, certainly not our age. I’m not worried about robotic trucks. Think they’re doing a trial next year but honestly I reckon it’s still years away and even when it comes if it comes it won’t kill off humans in trucks. Search in the drivers forum it’s been talked to death.

For number 3 I assume one relies on Sat nav and a map book if lost.

1. If you learn on an auto your also licenced to drive a manual. I’ve read on here and been told by mates in the industry that the chances of getting a manual these days are slim though.

Are you aware you’ll need to get licenced for cat C (class 2) before you can get your C+E (class 1) licence?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah I’m aware. I’ve done alot of research into it and had training prices range from 5k to 2.5k. It’s hard to do I think because with Cleveland lgv I’d have to take about 15 days holiday off work to do the test that’s if I pass first time. If I don’t I won’t have holidays left to do the test. I don’t want to gamble quitting my job to then not get work with a family to support.

I’m in two minds but when my current job ends I’m down to 18k looking 10k. Which is a massive drop. I don’t like the idea of agency job here there and everywhere without stability

Rustyspoon85:
Thanks, yeah I’m aware. I’ve done alot of research into it and had training prices range from 5k to 2.5k. It’s hard to do I think because with Cleveland lgv I’d have to take about 15 days holiday off work to do the test that’s if I pass first time. If I don’t I won’t have holidays left to do the test. I don’t want to gamble quitting my job to then not get work with a family to support.

I’m in two minds but when my current job ends I’m down to 18k looking 10k. Which is a massive drop. I don’t like the idea of agency job here there and everywhere without stability

Yeah I’m wary of agency to. I’m planning to get a job driving class 2. Not interested in artics currently. But I’ve got a wife, child, mortgage etc so the possible uncertainty of agency puts me off.

Don’t mind an hourly rate though if it’s a perm job with a set amount of hours in my contract least that way I’ll have security.

Hi, and welcome.
TNUK is a good source of info for you. But like YouTube there is a lot of rubbish mixed in with the good stuff.
30s is young for this game.
Bad auto boxes are a pet hate of mine. Theyre good for most uses but have got limits to their abilities. Most trucks are autos now and more will be so in the future, dont worry too much.
Automation is on its way, yes, but so it is everywhere. No area of employment is immune. Dont worry too much about that yet.
Some new starts will probably be along to give some advise about your area, but many seem to say youll be getting some experience in a less well paid job before getting the exact job thats right for you.
Agency / gig-economy / permanent job ? That`s going to depend on politics and will send this thread all over the shop with talk of lifestyle choices / independence / risk/reward / workers queuing outside factory gates hoping for work…It seems to be more of a live debate in transport, but does apply everywhere.
What is the job like? A licence is the key to a wide variety of different jobs. Driving a gulley cleaning tanker, tarmac tipper, container carrier, parcels carrier, fuel tanker, international tilt, all require an LGV ticket, but are all vastly different jobs.

1. In the vast majority of jobs being paid hourly is far better for you as a driver than salaried is.
  2. You’ll speak to whoever is on the gate or in reception. They’ll tell you what to do.
  3. You are a driver you deal with it yourself. Google maps is your friend. You can’t rely on some spud in the office who has never even sat in a truck.
  4. Realistically you’ll need to take whatever you can get to start with if you’re willing to do that you’ll get a job.
  5. Too many variables for anyone to tell you that. But look on the job sites to see what’s paid hourly then multiply that by 50/60 then make deductions You’ll get a rough idea.
  6. Just get on with it. Again you are a driver.
  7. Don’t believe the hype. There is absolutely no driver shortage.
  8. Go and visit some firms. It’s easy to ignore the phone and email it’s harder to ignore someone standing at the door.
  9. Driving is easy. Everything else that comes with it is what makes it in many cases a ■■■■ job.
  10. No.

Thank you for the replies. I feel like I would be setting myself up for a fall if auto trucks take over. But wouldn’t they always have a driver anyway for driving after the motorway.

Rustyspoon85:
Thank you for the replies. I feel like I would be setting myself up for a fall if auto trucks take over. But wouldn’t they always have a driver anyway for driving after the motorway.

Its good to think of the future, but driverless tucks wont be taking over just yet. They will be possible before too long, but not yet.

And dipping into the politics what will happen to society when,
all trucks are driverless
all warehousing is automated
home deliveries are done by pods
all cars are produced on robotic assembly lines
doctors are supplanted by intelligent diagnostics systems
banks and insurance companies staff are replaced with computer programmes ?
When everyone is unemployed no-one will need truck drivers anyway, because no-one will have the money to buy anything!

Rustyspoon85:

The article I read about the upcoming trial said all trucks would have a driver in case of emergency. So someone to take over. And I could see that sticking.

I really wouldn’t worry too much about it. What about all the trucking jobs where the driver does more than just drive?

I’ve weighed all this up myself. My practical training is next month and I reckon I’ll be able to find driving work for decades to come if I want it. I’m sure it’ll change but we’re young enough and dare I say tech savvy enough to adapt.

A couple of bits from my experience across the last year;

Always have an assesment drive. Its not a lot and is usually taken off the price of the course. If someone doesn’t want to give you one walk away.

Always visit at least 2 or 3 places to get an idea.

Compare what your getting for your money. Is a course cheaper because there are less hours training? 5k is seriously expensive. I peant about 3.5k from start to finish including medical, theories, cpc and training. That also includes 2 retests and a conversion course from wagon to drag and arctic.

I use a combination of map and sat nav. The sat nav’s main benefit is finding the precise location when you have nearly arrived. You can plan the majority of the route with a map.

I have found a full time employed job straight off. I know that could be location dependent but I had several offers without to much looking. I won’t say they were great jobs but they are all experience which is what matters at the start. I won’t say it is easy to get a start now but it certainly seems easier. Do you need to work days or just want to? Would it be worth taking the night job to get some experience or even a foot in the door when a day job comes up? I am sure most places advertise internally first so you may need to take the night job to get in the door to get on days if that makes sense.

I am 35 and whilst I am sure driverless trucks will come as has been said above other jobs will be lost as well. I don’t think that at our age there is a “job for life” now.

Thanks guys. Yeah it would have to be days as ì have a 3 year old step son and partner. I want to spend time with them but I understand this job can be long hours. I’m not looking for tramping or nights just days for now. Maybe the odd overtime.

Am I right in saying class 1 is always trunking?

Rustyspoon85:
Thanks guys. Yeah it would have to be days as ì have a 3 year old step son and partner. I want to spend time with them but I understand this job can be long hours. I’m not looking for tramping or nights just days for now. Maybe the odd overtime.

On days the likelihood is you’ll be away before they’re awake and home after they’re in bed.
No there’s plenty of multidrop class 1 work as well.
If trunking is what your heart is set on then you will eventually get it.
But it is by it’s very nature mostly done at night. Pallets are collected during office hours. Loaded onto night trunk and taken to destination. Unloaded at destination and placed onto vehicles for delivery during office hours the next day.

harrawaffa:

Rustyspoon85:

On days the likelihood is you’ll be away before they’re awake and home after they’re in bed.
No there’s plenty of multidrop class 1 work as well.
If trunking is what your heart is set on then you will eventually get it.
But it is by it’s very nature mostly done at night. Pallets are collected during office hours. Loaded onto night trunk and taken to destination. Unloaded at destination and placed onto vehicles for delivery during office hours the next day.

Class 1 isn’t always trunking some are but most are multi drop of some kind,wether its general haulage or shop work.
Used to do Poundland multi drop could be 2 drops or if its a naughty day 6 drops in a decker 48 pallets.
As for some of your points if YOUR lost its up to you to get Un-lost maps phones and actually asking people are your friend.
Also up to you is route planning,yes work have told you what order but its up to you to get from A-B-C etc.used to be on a Tuesday Torquay and 2 in Plymouth only experience tells you don’t go thro Dartmouth with a 40ft was up to Newton Abbot then down into Plymouth all things you have to consider,then they put Paington aswell only being clever you got back to willenhall in 13 1/2 hours but ssshhhhhh lol.
Every drop,is different rules regs where to tip/load etc.

I’ve just finished my first ever week driving for a nationwide company. Came in with no previous experience after leaving an office job. I’ve worked. 13.5 15 14 11.5hrs and that’s day shifts. If your up north close to the M6 your days will be long if heading south that’s what I learned.

Regarding training look at a large company who offer training schemes as they will take you on most likely after you pass. Stobarts do I’m lead to believe.

If you go into the industry with your eyes wide open and know what your getting into then you should be ok. If your missus doesn’t like you being out all day and night then this career isn’t for you.