Chances of gaining employment in class 1 with no previous ex

I know this might be a location thing depending on demand for new drivers but I’m wondering what peoples experience have been with going straight to class 1 work with no previous experience driving commercially.

This is the boat I’m in now, I see plenty of jobs looking for class 1 drivers (I live right next to the Port of Liverpool) for container work but they all want drivers with a years experience under their belt. It seems like this all around my area and I’d have to travel over an hour to get to a job where experience isn’t necessary.

Usually getting on the first job is horrendously hard.but keep at it some will take you straight away .some use it to pay you rubbish money. But just keep looking .It’s the best time for class1 work come October …
What area are you in ?

It’s perfectly possible. First thing is to totally ignore the “must have 12 months experience” statement. When the operator is desperate to get the truck moving, suddenly the goalposts move.

Very often there is no additional insurance cost to the operator though they will probably carry a greater excess.

Keep knocking on doors and apply for everything.

Let us know how you get on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Beetlejuice:
What area are you in ?

Err… “I live right next to the Port of Liverpool” :wink: :laughing:

Knocking on their door and speaking to them directly is the best bet!

Not going to lie to you mate, its hard to get a start. Very hard.
All you can do is keep knocking on doors till someone gives you keys.
Be prepared for a ■■■■ poor wage till you get experience as well. Those that take new passes tend to have sky high insurance which results in a lower rate for the driver but get a few months and then you can scout about for something better

Not all pay lower because you are new .I have had the same rates as long term guys and that was my first job onwards .just do not let them come that B.S.
I would rather keep looking than be payed less.
Sorry skim read the original post …

The-Snowman:
Be prepared for a ■■■■ poor wage till you get experience as well. Those that take new passes tend to have sky high insurance which results in a lower rate for the driver but get a few months and then you can scout about for something better

As Peter said, it tends to load on the excess more than the insurance, for us it was an extra £500.00, less to do with experience though and more the fact that I had taken on a 23 and 24 year old!

They got paid the same from day 1 as the rest of the lads, still with me 4-5 years later.

The-Snowman:

I would disagree with this. Again maybe location plays a part (South Lincs) but I applied for 5 jobs when I first passed with no experience and got offered 3! I wont say the one I have taken is the best of jobs but sure there are far worse out there.

I am on the same rate as the other drivers as well. I am looking for 6 months then decide if to look for something else. So far asides from LONG hours the job is good and everyone is very friendly so will wait and see

You’ve got Stobart and Downton within range of you want to go tramping. If you can’t get taken on by one or both you’ve got serious problems! There will be other big firms likely to take on new drivers close to you - don’t fall into the trap that working for leeches is necessary, exhaust all other options first!

2 turners depots around there as well. Tried them?

some dhl depots will give newbies a chance.if there’s one near you it’s worth a try.

What about Great Bear they’re now part of Culina and they were always willing to give newbies a chance.

kcrussell25:

The-Snowman:

I would disagree with this. Again maybe location plays a part (South Lincs) but I applied for 5 jobs when I first passed with no experience and got offered 3! I wont say the one I have taken is the best of jobs but sure there are far worse out there.

I am on the same rate as the other drivers as well. I am looking for 6 months then decide if to look for something else. So far asides from LONG hours the job is good and everyone is very friendly so will wait and see

Well ok fair enough. Maybe location plays a big part as well as the desperation of an employer to get a truck moving.
Im just basing it on how hard I found it to get past the two year “rule” I kept getting told about and the shockingly poor hourly rate I had to accept when I finally found a company who would give me a chance

Its all about how you present yourself. Go in looking smart’ish, with a pleasant attitude and you’d be surprised who will offer you a job. Some employers will a new pass as someone they can mold into their companies way of thinking rather than having some surly know it all driver who has been around the block etc. My last job and the one I’ve got now have been gotten like that and I had little class 1 experience. Same with my mate. As long as you go in and they can see you’re keen and you care about the job then they will take a punt on you.

In the mean time, get yourself on the agency. Yes it will ■■■■ but every day is another day’s experience!

The-Snowman:
Well ok fair enough. Maybe location plays a big part as well as the desperation of an employer to get a truck moving.
Im just basing it on how hard I found it to get past the two year “rule” I kept getting told about and the shockingly poor hourly rate I had to accept when I finally found a company who would give me a chance

There is a lot of luck in there, being in the right place at the right time and that’s the same for all of life really!

I wasn’t desperate when I gave my two youngsters a chance - you can call me lazy if you like though :laughing: . We came across someone working casual, nice lad, hard working and looking for a job, why on earth would we go through advertising when someone appears and he recommended his mate when we were next looking for someone.

Should have no problems round Liverpool area. Downtown, stobarts and b and m all take new starters.

I passed two weeks ago and got job the same I passed driving a Scania Topliner, tramping out of Immingham. I’m going to walk away tomorrow as am expected to work over my hours, ignore rest/breaks etc coupled with lack of support etc beyond first day. I’m now waiting for a driver assessment for another job, 4 on 4 off-better terms/truck/work…maybe I’ve been lucky but if you put yourself out there, be up front re lack of experience etc then there are opportunities. Good luck.

BubbaC:
I passed two weeks ago and got job the same I passed driving a Scania Topliner, tramping out of Immingham. I’m going to walk away tomorrow as am expected to work over my hours, ignore rest/breaks etc coupled with lack of support etc beyond first day. I’m now waiting for a driver assessment for another job, 4 on 4 off-better terms/truck/work…maybe I’ve been lucky but if you put yourself out there, be up front re lack of experience etc then there are opportunities. Good luck.

This happened to me .Haulage firms try to take advantage massively on newbs name and shame the ■■■■■ mate.
Good luck on the new job

Thanks Beetlejuice… Despite all the negatives of my first experience, am glad of it…had great support form a mate who does agency work and has been driving for decades and he said my first job was a baptism of fire-in particular, using mega trailers and using kit he’e never had to in decades of driving. Sometime you just have to put these things down to experience and move on.

BubbaC:
Thanks Beetlejuice… Despite all the negatives of my first experience, am glad of it…had great support form a mate who does agency work and has been driving for decades and he said my first job was a baptism of fire-in particular, using mega trailers and using kit he’e never had to in decades of driving. Sometime you just have to put these things down to experience and move on.

Keep at it Bubba, youve given it a go, but probably did the right thing to get out if your licence was at risk. As some say, any experience you actually walk away from is a good one! It may only have been a couple of weeks but it sounds like youve learnt a lot. Good luck.