Working time

I’m getting my head round working time but have a question. I understand that If I work on a 6hr shift I need to take 15 mins break if I haven’t seen 4.5hrs in that period. My question is that if I have driven 4.5hrs in the first six hour period and taken a 45 min break do I need to take any more 15 min breaks post 6hrs or does my 45 min break qualify for the next 6 hours?

Yours Dislexically

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You need to take a 30 minute break after 6hrs accumulated work, if it is made up of driving and other work e.g. 3hrs driving 3hrs hand ball you need a 30 min break but would still need to take a 30 minute break after a further 1hr 30min driving.

If you work for an hour then drive for 4hrs and have a 45 min break both working time and driving time clocks are reset to zero

Grumpy Dad:
You need to take a 30 minute break after 6hrs accumulated work, if it is made up of driving and other work e.g. 3hrs driving 3hrs hand ball you need a 30 min break but would still need to take a 30 minute break after a further 1hr 30min driving.

If you work for an hour then drive for 4hrs and have a 45 min break both working time and driving time clocks are reset to zero

15 mins not 30 mins

Work 3 hours
drive 3 hours
break 15 mins
work 3 hours
drive 1.5 hours
break 30 mins
drive 3 hours
work 45 mins
= 15 hour shift with all break laws complied with

ROG:

Grumpy Dad:

15 mins not 30 mins

Work 3 hours
drive 3 hours
break 15 mins
work 3 hours
drive 1.5 hours
break 30 mins
drive 3 hours
work 45 mins

Working Time Directive 6hrs work = 30 min break

Driving is classed as work and therefore 3hrs drive + 3hrs handball = 30min break

rmt.org.uk/about/health-and … transport/

My head hurts can they not simplify this to one easy to follow rule for breaks for drivers. Two separate systems with different rules and break lengths is just confusing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Grumpy Dad:

ROG:

Grumpy Dad:

15 mins not 30 mins

Work 3 hours
drive 3 hours
break 15 mins
work 3 hours
drive 1.5 hours
break 30 mins
drive 3 hours
work 45 mins

Working Time Directive 6hrs work = 30 min break

Driving is classed as work and therefore 3hrs drive + 3hrs handball = 30min break

rmt.org.uk/about/health-and … transport/

WTD = 15 mins break - have another look at rules 1 and 4 of the 4 rules listed

Better still read this = viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99021 :smiley:

Have you a link to the site you’re reading from

Grumpy Dad:
Have you a link to the site you’re reading from

legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005 … ion/7/made

Breaks

7.—
(1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.

(4) Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each

Is this accurate? driverhours.co.uk/working-time-directive/

IronEddie:

I am getting - BLOCKED HARMFUL WEBSITE - on both google chrome and IE :exclamation:

ROG:

IronEddie:

I am getting - BLOCKED HARMFUL WEBSITE - on both google chrome and IE :exclamation:

Really? Dunno why. I’ve accessed it through my phone just fine. And it certainly doesn’t look dodgy.

IronEddie:

ROG:

IronEddie:

Really? Dunno why. I’ve accessed it through my phone just fine. And it certainly doesn’t look dodgy.

my F-secure from Virgin does not like it

ROG:

IronEddie:

ROG:

IronEddie:

my F-secure from Virgin does not like it

Kaspersky on my PC doesn’t block it. Does warn me it’s not a secure website but since its not one where personal details are entered it does not need to be. Maybe f secure is being overly cautious. Anyway no matter.

I’ve included a screen shot, reading again it tallies with what you’re saying and the way the website talks about WTD is such that I’m finding it easier to understand.

As an aside a few other websites I’ve looked at do seem to think it’s supposed to be one 30 minute break on 6 hours. And don’t mention splitting it. Out of all the new things I’ve had to learn thus far regards lorry driving the WTD and driving breaks is the most confusing. Here’s hoping it gets easier when I start having to actually apply it.

Up to 6hrs a 30 min break =
Can be 2 breaks of 15 , one during the 6 hours and a further 15 at the end or one break of 30 mins after completing 6 hours.

6 - 9 hours or over a further break of 45 min is to be taken , this can also be broken down into increments of 15

Grumpy Dad:
Up to 6hrs a 30 min break =
Can be 2 breaks of 15 , one during the 6 hours and a further 15 at the end or one break of 30 mins after completing 6 hours.

6 - 9 hours or over a further break of 45 min is to be taken , this can also be broken down into increments of 15

trumpets - Rog is correct. The biggest problem here is that the regs are badly written.

There are 2 breaks regs.

1. Can’t work more than 6 hours without taking a break.-continuous working
  2. Work between 6 & 9 on spreadthen need to show 30 minutes of breaks. Over 9 hours of WT need 45 of breaks.Aggregate working

Then tucked away it says breaks can be 15 minutes to qualify.

So a 15 minute break with reset the 6 hours Continuos clock. The 30 minute bit comes in for the aggregate rule and 2 x 15 will do that.

ROG is RIGHT.

Simple when put differently =

Breaks must be at least 15 mins to count as breaks for the rules

Do not work (driving + other work) more than 6 hours at any point in the shift without taking at least a 15 min break

If the total work (driving + other work) in a shift is between 6 and 9 hours then a total of 30 mins breaks is needed OR (not both) If the total work (driving + other work) in a shift is over 9 hours then a total of 45 mins breaks is needed

Page 9 explains the working time break is 30 mins after 6 hours

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … report.pdf

Grumpy Dad:

Working more than 6 hours but not more that 9 hours requires a total of 30 mins break. But this doesn’t mean you have to take a 30 min break after 6 hours like you’re implying. For example, you can have a 15 min break after 4 hours and another 15 min break after 7 hours. Therefore, in these circumstances all WTD breaks are satisfied for a shift lasting no longer than 9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee1976:

Grumpy Dad:

Working more than 6 hours but not more that 9 hours requires a total of 30 mins break. But this doesn’t mean you have to take a 30 min break after 6 hours like you’re implying. For example, you can have a 15 min break after 4 hours and another 15 min break after 7 hours. Therefore, in these circumstances all WTD breaks are satisfied for a shift lasting no longer than 9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look back at my previous posts throughout the thread you’ll see that’s what I’ve put, after 6 hours accrued work ( wether just work or a mix of driving and work ) a break of 30 mins must have been taken ( or 2 breaks at 15 mins ).
E.g.
3hrs Work
3hrs Drive
30 min break
OR
2hrs Work
15 min break
1hr Drive
3 hours work
15 min break

A 9 hour shift could look like this

2hrs Work
1hr Drive
15 min break
3hrs Work
15 min break ( first 6hrs work & breaks )
3hrs Drive
45 min break ( 9 hour shift plus a further break of 45 )

Grumpy Dad:
A 9 hour shift could look like this

2hrs Work
1hr Drive
15 min break
3hrs Work
3hrs Drive
45 min break ( 9 hour shift plus a further break of 45 )

Why the extra 30 mins of breaks :question:

This is legal -
2hrs Work
1hr Drive
3hrs Work
3.5 hrs Drive
30 min break - at this point it will reset driving time and has complied with ALL the WTD break rules