Hi

Got my cat c booked later in year. Left my last job in February due to a clotting disorder and had a right tight arsed jobcentre adviser. Sent me on some nonsense programme with a load of crack heads sitting around flicking through yellow pages. I though ■■■■ this and walked out. Got sanctioned for 4 weeks. When i went back she had gone and i had a very amiable adviser who asked me if i fancied LGV training. Never considered it in the past but thought why not.

Advice on here does not seem to have trickeled down to the jobcentre about using brokers. So far they have been okay. Sorted out medical, provisional licence, theory tests. Practical training now booked incorporating module 4 during week. All in all i’m getting 20 hours of training.

Only down side i would say about it is not having any dealings with trainer as it all has to go through broker. You don’t get much say in 1:1 or 2:1. Auto or manual. Time of day of training. You can express an opinion but may not always get what you want.

I’ve got a few questions that i’ll post as and when. In the meantime i know little about the industry. I’m nearly on the wrong side of 50. Don’t know if some driving jobs are a young man’s game. If i should avoid certain jobs. I have no real interest in going for artic/trailer training. Not really for me. I know, i’m a ■■■■■. :slight_smile:

Have never owned a car so instructor might be spending much of the week ■■■■■■■ himself. I’ll see how it goes. Any advice/opinions appreciated

Which LGV school have they booked your practical training with :question:

I’ve had a phone call with them and all seems fine. Very helpfull. Still bricking it though.

hughesdrivertraining.co.uk

Jim50:
I’ve had a phone call with them and all seems fine. Very helpfull. Still bricking it though.

hughesdrivertraining.co.uk

Which one of their centres :question:

I’m a newbie myself so could be wrong but depending on how physically fit you are the only young man’s jobs that you might wish to avoid are things like drayman work, or anything with a lot of handball.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Does not owning a car equate to not driving a car? If it does, reconsider your options. It could be an absolute nightmare.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Was going to be out of Edgware/Radlett. But now doing it out of Leigton Buzzard. Test centre there as well so quite handy.

I have done some driving. Small vans. Small minibus. I drove a larger transit van once only briefly but i think i may have inadvertantly drove a 7.5T transit.

I did a 4 hour session with another trainer to get an idea if it was for me or not. Seemed to take to it okay. Just geting used to it i think. Hopefully over 5 days will pick it up.

Hello there,

I had my test in Leighton Buzzard not long ago. I didn’t train with Hughes but I did happen to speak to a few of their instructors whilst I was waiting in the test centre when I was visiting during lessons. The idea I got from a couple of their instructors is that some of them are awful and gobby, whilst the others seem to be down to earth and great! Hopefully you get one of the good ones :wink:

Good luck!