My HGV Story (really long)

So I thought I’d give an overview of what my first couple of months of being a Class 2 HGV driver has been like, hopefully others can either relate, discuss, or potential drivers can get a picture of what can be like starting out.

I passed in November 2016, started my HGV job when I left my old career in January, got lucky that a company took me on with no experience at all, not agency which was a plus

Job 1 - Palmer & Harvey (January 2017- February 2017) £10.44 per hour 45 hour per week permanent
I was started with several other new recruits, some experienced others with zero to little experience like me, they sent me out for two weeks with another driver as the second man. They said they wanted me to know the job inside out before I focus on driving, at the time I thought that made sense. Two weeks passed, job seems easy enough so onto the driving.
They sent me out as the driver in the third week, with one of their drivers as a second man, so far so good I liked how they were easing me in slow.
The week went fine, no mishaps drops done on time etc.
On the Friday morning of this week I was told I was to have my assessment drive in the afternoon, more in depth than my original check drive.
I freaked out and blew it, I clipped kerbs, balls up reversing on the loading bay, missed parts of vehicle checks, it wasnt a good assessment.
Spent a few hours that afternoon waiting in the canteen, then was called into the office to be told they were letting me go as I was too high risk to be allowed out on my own.

Job 2 Agencies, Driver Hire, Drivers Direct, Tailored Recruitment(February 2017 - April 2017) Pay from £8-£10 per hour
Signed up for as many agencies as I could travel to, February/March is a very quiet time for Class 2 HGV work I was told, this turned out to be true. Most agencies had nothing for me due to not having much work and the work they have going to drivers with some experience.
I was scraping by working what ever was offered, averaging 2-3 days work per week.
Worked a couple shifts for companies Banvulc tyres, Relay Technical Transport, Keyline, ND Installations, 151 Products, Lee Floor Stock.
I was constantly applying for permanent work elsewhere, I got pretty far with Brakes, passed their assessment drive and was told in interview they would offer me job. However they went dark after they said they would call, and when I called them they had no record of my application.
I applied for Alpha LSG at Airport, this was a six month contract and guaranteed minimum of 40 hours fingers crossed.

Job 3 Airport, Taskmaster Recruitment (April 2017 - August 2017) Pay £9.42 per hour, Overtime was time and half.
This job was done through agency called Taskmaster recruitment, couldn’t fault them they were excellent at getting me into this job, as its airside there was lots of paperwork to do, medical, CRB, tons of references etc.
Finally got my start date early april, went through 2 weeks training and started live, the job consisted of loading aircraft supplies for flights your given at start of day, then driving airside to unload and load the aircraft. It was a great job.
Downside was this job is 30 mile commute for me, 60 mile round trip every day.
Due to this I kept my eyes open for other permanent jobs.

Job 3 Graylaw Freight Group August 2017 - Leaving in September 2017) Pay 9.30 per hour
Finally a job closer to home (around 5 mile commute) and its permanent, thought this was it now no more job insecurity and I can finally settle somewhere and earn some good money.
Problem was I hate it, every day drags and everything about my day gets me down, to the point were I questioned if I even want to be a HGV driver.
Its brutal work, multi drop normally more than 10, to a mix of home addresses and small businesses that sound like there made up. The load is all pallets, often weighing over a Ton.
Wreslting a large 1-2 Ton pallet onto a small tail lift is nearly impossible, then some drops the closest you can get can be quite far so your then pulling this huge heavy pallet a long distance.
I dont know if I have this in me to carry on.

Future : I got back in touch with Alpha and asked for my job back, lucky enough I left on good terms so they were willing to take me back, and overtime will be available to negate my fuel expense ( about 2 hours overtime a week covers my fuel cost of the long commute)
I’ve also been took on with a longer contract this time, just waiting for criminal records check and other little things before I get my start date.
I really shouldn’t have left Airport in the first place, I was lucky enough to get a second chance I couldn’t be happier as its an awesome job.

To sum this up, (I’ve gone on way too long now) its been a tough year, had some bloody hard and terrible days, struggled for money at times when work has been scarce but I think im nearly past the worst of it.
What I’ve learned from this year is I do not really want to be a HGV driver, but I do love working in an Airport :smiley:

That’s bad luck with your first job. Shame it’s that cut and dry.

Wonder what really happened with brakes.

Hope everything works out for you now back at the airport.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Good luck, good for other newbies to see the variety out there and everyone enjoys something different. I would hate being in one place all day!

Good post, thanks.

Good read that.

I hate that palletline type multi drop work too, i’d have lasted less time than you on it.

The airport work sounds quite interesting, glad you have a restart.

Don’t be too down on lorry driving, there’s a whole world of different lorry work out there, i’ve been lucky enough to find my niches and i enjoy my work, its managing to hang on long enough to find your niche that is the problem, only you will be the one who knows it when you find it.

Good luck back on the job you enjoy.

Have you thought about fueling at the airport, the airport I currently work at runs fuel bowsers instead of ground pumps, not sure about your local airport, I’m assuming normal ADR requirements apply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the Graylaw yard still have huge craters everywhere?

ItsJoe:
Does the Graylaw yard still have huge craters everywhere?

It sure does

I’m guessing you’re from Wigan like me or somewhere local, I am with Task Master too they’re great with me, I’d try again with Brakes I started there when I was Class 2 decent pay and a good set of guys and they will make sure you’re well trained like Palmer and Harvey but the office is a bit chaotic so I assume that is how they lost your application. But if I was you I’d go for Class 1, there is no Shortage of work around here.

I’d second what Jake has said. Getting your class 1 will open no end of doors. Like you I did a few different class 2 jobs and out of them all the pallet work I detested. Now after having 3 full time numbers I’ve chosen to go back to Agency working night shifts trunking up and down the country. Some weeks I do three nights and some I do four nights. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeWS:
I’m guessing you’re from Wigan like me or somewhere local, I am with Task Master too they’re great with me, I’d try again with Brakes I started there when I was Class 2 decent pay and a good set of guys and they will make sure you’re well trained like Palmer and Harvey but the office is a bit chaotic so I assume that is how they lost your application. But if I was you I’d go for Class 1, there is no Shortage of work around here.

I genuinely don’t want to drive for a living, that’s why the airport is fantastic for me.
It’s technically a driving but most your driving is airside and you spend most your time loading aircraft or your truck.

For now I’m not interested in class 1, I’ll stick around and hope I get taken permanent at airport.
If I don’t I’ll get another job but it won’t be driving.

thought i’d give an update

Airport have cut all recruitment until next season, including drivers who were just waiting for CRB check (me ? ) so I’ve gotta wait until end of February now.
Absolute gutted I’d already handed my notice in at Graylaw so I still left and I’m staying with same agency that do airport until I can go back.

Currently doing work for XPO logistics, class 2 trunking is pretty decent hope it lasts a while.

Another Update

Worked for XPO Logistics for around 8 weeks, when that work finished I had a month of getting 1-2 shift per week for various companies.
In December I dropped down to Van work for Trust First Parts, they were pretty decent to work for however pay was pretty much minimum wage.

Now finally I’m back at Manchester Airport with Alpha LSG (direct not through agency)

I work for Alpha LSG too at EMA. Longest continuous driving job I had since passing in 2015 at 2 years.
Varied work to say the least and doesn’t suit everyone but certainly can have its plus points.

You maybe in Manchester area? I did bits for graylaw after passing my c2 taking fish to Grimsby . Then managed to get on at p h haydock. Via jark recruitment never had an assessment they just sent me there one day and straight out . And I had very limited class 2 driving at the time. Did about a year there on and off. I did enjoy it . Although at times I did wonder about the drivers mates they paired. Me with . Some were useless would been better on my own…
One fella duno his name used really irritate me. He was a decent fella .but anyway he was employed by p h as a class 2 driver he told me that . On class 2 pay. Yet he never drove one much. Everyone he got paired with usually me he was ok you have a licence your driving. I only drive as a last resort. Yet p h seemed let him get away with it. In a way can’t blame him c2 pay for being a driver’s mate.

And know what you mean about the airport. It’s hard to explain to outsiders. I spent 15 years there as baggage handler loading the planes etc loved it untill was made redundant. Decided take hgv lesson have a change . Which I also enjoy .but do miss the airport. Am always tempted by alpha lsg but only for the summer and I have mortgage bills to pay

I’ve tried to leave several times, left once and came back within 2 weeks. Its really hard to explain as you say. We actually drive very little if we are airside but its a different world. At our unit we get to go out on the road a bit to other units so can be quite diverse.

edd1974:
And know what you mean about the airport. It’s hard to explain to outsiders. I spent 15 years there as baggage handler loading the planes etc loved it untill was made redundant. Decided take hgv lesson have a change . Which I also enjoy .but do miss the airport. Am always tempted by alpha lsg but only for the summer and I have mortgage bills to pay

When I was there last year majority of new drivers got kept on, keep in mind that this was despite monarch going bust.
It’s a gamble but drivers are likely to be kept on if they have been decent enough.