Running commentary of my quest to become an LGV driver

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and in learning to become a LGV driver (Cat C licence).

I have got quite a bit of information from reading this forum and decided to document my experiences from the Doctors report to … the end.

So I’ll be adding information of my experience from time to time, and I hope it will help any one starting out and looking for information or noted experience of someone that is going through the process. I included some dates to demonstrate how long each process took, but not in all occasions though.

The first piece of information:
I applied for my provisional licence in the first week in July. It took seven days to get to me. I filled out the Doctor’s report form and eventually went to get the report filled in at my surgery. I was told it cost £20, which I was shocked about because I was informed on documentation from DVLA that it cost about £100, forums I visited also mentioned similar figures. The receptionist confirmed the cost and I duly paid, filling out the form and ticking the £20 tick box. I was informed that I would be called in about a week for an appointment booking, that was a waste of 7 days if someone asked me.

I visited a friend who is an Uber driver who confirmed my suspicions of the price. It happened to him at the same surgery and he was slapped with an extra £70 on his visit (appointment with the doctor). I braced myself for the extra cost. He also did say that he got his own appointment on the day.

Anyway, I was eventually called and the appointment date set for 24th July 2017, which I attended. At the reception desk, I was slapped with an extra £90 totalling £110. This I queried the extra charge and was informed that the cost was £110 not the £20 I was told and paid for. Anyway, I attended my appointment, when it was over the doctor said that I should pay the balance before getting my report, obviously he didn’t know that I couldn’t even walk past the reception desk without being hounded for the “balance” I was not afore warned about. Anyway, I informed him I had paid and showed him my receipt, and also complained. His reply was not encouraging, but anyway I had paid and was off with my report, after he had photocopied it.
During the appointment, I volunteered information that wasn’t in my Health file, the Doctor noted it but requested I took a blood test for verification that all was fine. However, this had no bearing on the outcome of the report as my organ tested had nothing to do with my driving ability and the required safety involved. My test was on the 25th July 2017.

I don’t know how this works, but I hope I’ll be able to update this New topic of mine, possibly by reply or commenting.

You paid £110 for a D4 medical after reading the info on this forum … is that correct :question: … if yes then WHY :question:

My doc wanted £120. Doctors on wheels £50. Though would of been more convenient to use my gp as I live around the corner.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

ROG:
You paid £110 for a D4 medical after reading the info on this forum … is that correct :question: … if yes then WHY :question:

Yes correct. That’s what I was charged at my Doctor’s in Edmonton.

I didn’t know I could get it cheaper with Doctors on Wheels IronEddie just mentioned.

ROG:

I’ll bet you’re wondering where this particular prospective trainee will opt to take up a course Rog?
I’ve never been a trainer myself, so can only guess at your thought processes.

Would it make a good reality TV show? Follow a group of keen young prospective drivers- have candid interviews with these LGV trainees and their instructors?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

At least comfort yourself with the knowledge you’ve helped fund the NHS a bit. Or does the GP pocket the money? I don’t actually know where it goes.

I actually used doctors on wheels having found them on the list of cheap medicals on trucknet.

Will say Babyoku you probably had a more detailed medical with your doctor. I was in and out inside of ten minutes having had a cursory eye test, blood pressure test and said no a lot to the questions on the d4.

BabyOku:

ROG:

Yes correct. That’s what I was charged at my Doctor’s in Edmonton.

I didn’t know I could get it cheaper with Doctors on Wheels IronEddie just mentioned.

I assume you got the medical then read the info on here :question: if yes then you are not alone as many get fleeced before they find this info

IronEddie:
At least comfort yourself with the knowledge you’ve helped fund the NHS a bit. Or does the GP pocket the money? I don’t actually know where it goes.

I actually used doctors on wheels having found them on the list of cheap medicals on trucknet.

Will say Babyoku you probably had a more detailed medical with your doctor. I was in and out inside of ten minutes having had a cursory eye test, blood pressure test and said no a lot to the questions on the d4.

Doctors can and do charge because the form is outside of their contract to provide care to patients. No monies find their way back into the NHS.

Franglais:

IronEddie:

Doctors can and do charge because the form is outside of their contract to provide care to patients. No monies find their way back into the NHS.

Thanks. So they could compete with the cheap medicals crowd if they wanted to. That’s interesting.

IronEddie:

Franglais:

IronEddie:

Thanks. So they could compete with the cheap medicals crowd if they wanted to. That’s interesting.

Must admit I’d not thought about the medical profession as one where they’re trying to gain work through competitive tendering.
Maybe some politicos want things to go that way tho?

BabyOku:
Hello all,

I have got quite a bit of information from reading this forum and decided to document my experiences from the Doctors report to … the end.

So I’ll be adding information of my experience from time to time, and I hope it will help any one starting out and looking for information or noted experience of someone that is going through the process. I included some dates to demonstrate how long each process took, but not in all occasions though.

I applied for my provisional licence in the first week in July. It took seven days to get to me. I filled out the Doctor’s report form and eventually went to get the report filled in at my surgery. I was told it cost £20, which I was shocked about because I was informed on documentation from DVLA that it cost about £100, forums I visited also mentioned similar figures. The receptionist confirmed the cost and I duly paid, filling out the form and ticking the £20 tick box. I was informed that I would be called in about a week for an appointment booking, that was a waste of 7 days if someone asked me.

I visited a friend who is an Uber driver who confirmed my suspicions of the price. It happened to him at the same surgery and he was slapped with an extra £70 on his visit (appointment with the doctor). I braced myself for the extra cost. He also did say that he got his own appointment on the day.

Anyway, I was eventually called and the appointment date set for 24th July 2017, which I attended. At the reception desk, I was slapped with an extra £90 totalling £110. This I queried the extra charge and was informed that the cost was £110 not the £20 I was told and paid for. Anyway, I attended my appointment, when it was over the doctor said that I should pay the balance before getting my report, obviously he didn’t know that I couldn’t even walk past the reception desk without being hounded for the “balance” I was not afore warned about. Anyway, I informed him I had paid and showed him my receipt, and also complained. His reply was not encouraging, but anyway I had paid and was off with my report, after he had photocopied it.
During the appointment, I volunteered information that wasn’t in my Health file, the Doctor noted it but requested I took a blood test for verification that all was fine. However, this had no bearing on the outcome of the report as my organ tested had nothing to do with my driving ability and the required safety involved. My test was on the 25th July 2017.

I don’t know how this works, but I hope I’ll be able to update this New topic of mine, possibly by reply or commenting.

I sent off my driver’s licence with the Doctors report and the Provisional license request form on the 24th of July. In the meantime, I have finished reading the ‘The Official DSA Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles’ book and the ‘The Official Highway Code’ book, and now going through the questions and answers in the ‘The Official DVSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles’ book. I have also downloaded the ‘Know your Traffic Signs Official Edition’ e-book, though not gone through it yet, I think I should have done that before starting the Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles book. All signs are in the Highway Code anyways.

My driver’s license was delivered (received) on the 10th August 2017, 17 days after I sent it in, just under the three-week mark advised by DVLA. When I checked it, there was no markings indicating my provisional status for the C, C1, D, D1 and BE vehicle codes, so I called DVLA and was informed that the information is only on their database, which she went on to check and confirm. Click on this link to view yours: gov.uk/view-driving-licence or type it into your browser (be aware that you will need to log in with your Driving License number, NI number and post code. My intention now is to book my theory and Driver’s CPC test about 7 days from now, 18th August 2017.

BabyOku:

BabyOku:
Hello all,

I sent off my driver’s licence with the Doctors report and the Provisional license request form on the 24th of July. In the meantime, I have finished reading the ‘The Official DSA Guide to Driving Goods Vehicles’ book and the ‘The Official Highway Code’ book, and now going through the questions and answers in the ‘The Official DVSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles’ book. I have also downloaded the ‘Know your Traffic Signs Official Edition’ e-book, though not gone through it yet, I think I should have done that before starting the Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles book. All signs are in the Highway Code anyways.

My driver’s license was delivered (received) on the 10th August 2017, 17 days after I sent it in, just under the three-week mark advised by DVLA. When I checked it, there was no markings indicating my provisional status for the C, C1, D, D1 and BE vehicle codes, so I called DVLA and was informed that the information is only on their database, which she went on to check and confirm. Click on this link to view yours: gov.uk/view-driving-licence or type it into your browser (be aware that you will need to log in with your Driving License number, NI number and post code. My intention now is to book my theory and Driver’s CPC test about 7 days from now, 18th August 2017.

BOOKING THE TEST
I booked my tests, the Multi-choice questions and Hazard Perception (Driver CPC Module 1) and Case studies (Driver CPC Module 2) on 18th August 2017. However, my surprise and shock was that most of the dates were booked for almost a month. Click on this link to book your theory test: gov.uk/book-theory-test, after clicking the log in page will be displayed where you need to Log in with your details (don’t worry you don’t need to have an account with this service to log in). Enter your details as requested below (source: theory test website, 2017), however note that IF your second name is next to your First name on your Driving Licence, enter it that way (First Second) because for some reason, DVLA adds them together (if you had entered it in your Driving License application) but takes it as your First name in this form.

Source: Theory test website (2017)

As mentioned above, the time slots for the tests are far from when you are booking it/them so I advise you to book it/them once you start reading up for whatever test(s). With that you are able to choose the dates and location that best suits you, instead of being lumbered with far away dates, 3 weeks away like mine. I initially checked the centre closest to me, and there was nothing until the 18th of September, I checked all locations up to Uxbridge. Eventually, I was able to book my Hazard perception test for the 22nd August 2017 (awkward having the HP before the MC, I know) at Southgate, then the MC for the 8th September 2017 at Southwark, and the Case studies for 11th September 2017 at Southgate.
BOOK YOUR TESTS EARLY ENOUGH!!!

I’ll let you know how my first test (HP) went (crossing fingers and praying to God).

Good luck with the tests.

Just realised the date! How did you get on with hazard and the theory test?

IronEddie:

I passed both :slight_smile:
I’ll be updating this post with more information later.

BabyOku:

IronEddie:

Well done.

IronEddie:

BabyOku:

IronEddie:

Well done.

Thanks man.

BabyOku:

BabyOku:

BabyOku:
Hello all,

BOOKING THE TEST
I booked my tests, the Multi-choice questions and Hazard Perception (Driver CPC Module 1) and Case studies (Driver CPC Module 2) on 18th August 2017. However, my surprise and shock was that most of the dates were booked for almost a month. Click on this link to book your theory test: gov.uk/book-theory-test, after clicking the log in page will be displayed where you need to Log in with your details (don’t worry you don’t need to have an account with this service to log in). Enter your details as requested below (source: theory test website, 2017), however note that IF your second name is next to your First name on your Driving Licence, enter it that way (First Second) because for some reason, DVLA adds them together (if you had entered it in your Driving License application) but takes it as your First name in this form.

As mentioned above, the time slots for the tests are far from when you are booking it/them so I advise you to book it/them once you start reading up for whatever test(s). With that you are able to choose the dates and location that best suits you, instead of being lumbered with far away dates, 3 weeks away like mine. I initially checked the centre closest to me, and there was nothing until the 18th of September, I checked all locations up to Uxbridge. Eventually, I was able to book my Hazard perception test for the 22nd August 2017 (awkward having the HP before the MC, I know) at Southgate, then the MC for the 8th September 2017 at Southwark, and the Case studies for 11th September 2017 at Southgate.

I’ll let you know how my first test (HP) went (crossing fingers and praying to God).

Taking the test (Hazard Perception).
I took my test on the 22/08/2017 and passed. The pass mark was 67 out of 100, I scored 72 (thumbs up to me).
However, I must admit that the concerns of others with regards to the ‘scoring window’ is still true. We, humans, or probably just those of us that ride motorcycles seem to see hazards before the “almighty” computer system. Over my training testing period, I tried to combat the concern by clicking twice for every hazard without evoking the dreaded X, and I was very successful, but sometimes I’d cringe for clicking too many times, but was fortunate enough to avoid the X. Whilst taking the HP test though, I must say that my tactic was not without failure or, do I say hiccups, because I got 2 0s (no scores), and both in the last two videos.
I think I can remember where one happened, and I’ll give you the scenario so that those that will be taking it are very aware.

Scenario:
A white van was travelling about 50 meters in front then indicated to stop/park on the left, it was stopping/parking just before a road island. On, almost, getting along the back of the van (to pass it) the backdoor swings open. I’ll advice you to click at this point, I didn’t. I didn’t because I had already clicked when the van indicated, then I clicked again (twice) when I found out that “I” had to slow down considerably to manoeuvre between it and the island, so when the backdoor flung open and “I” hit the brakes harder, I didn’t click, thinking that I would get the X and score a 0. Well, I didn’t click and I scored a 0 anyways. So be ready to click at his point.

Other scenarios are:

1. The one going under a rail track (through a big culvert) appears but is dissimilar to the one we know. An LGV is in front of you and will be turning left into a side road before the culvert. On getting to the culvert another LGV will come towards you, after it passes you continue but there is a Ford (water) on the ground, the car almost stops. I advice you click at this point, because I think that is where I scored my second 0 because I didn’t click since I clicked for the LGV coming passed which made ‘me’ to stop.
  2. There is one with a motorcycle driving in front on an A road., then up the road a white van pulls from a lay-by straight into the front of the motorcycle which makes him brake hard, then ‘you’. Well its different, before the lay-by there is a road on the left, a Mercedes pulls out from there with speed, the biker brakes hard then swerves, which makes ‘you’ brake hard. The biker continues, but not before swearing at the driver (that was funny because DVLA always teaches, in the DSV guides, to ignore the “error”, stay calm then drive on). The biker then pulls into the lay-by, to cool off probably.
  3. The one where an LGV crosses the front of “your” vehicle on the motorway from the right making a U turn. That one’s there and no change.

Can’t remember any more, but back to reading for my Multi-choice. Will let you know how that one goes.

I failed hazard perception on both my car and bike tests. Precisely because I clicked to early. Still not sure how passed the lgv one first time, though I reckon the cgi videos they’re now using are easier than the old actual footage ones.

IronEddie:
I failed hazard perception on both my car and bike tests. Precisely because I clicked to early. Still not sure how passed the lgv one first time, though I reckon the cgi videos they’re now using are easier than the old actual footage ones.

I don’t know, I felt they are the same, but I preferred the actual footage, though wasn’t bothered.

BabyOku:

BabyOku:

BabyOku:

BabyOku:
Hello all,

BOOKING THE TEST

Taking the test (Hazard Perception).
I took my test on the 22/08/2017 and passed. The pass mark was 67 out of 100, I scored 72 (thumbs up to me).
However, I must admit that the concerns of others with regards to the ‘scoring window’ is still true. We, humans, or probably just those of us that ride motorcycles seem to see hazards before the “almighty” computer system. Over my training testing period, I tried to combat the concern by clicking twice for every hazard without evoking the dreaded X, and I was very successful, but sometimes I’d cringe for clicking too many times, but was fortunate enough to avoid the X. Whilst taking the HP test though, I must say that my tactic was not without failure or, do I say hiccups, because I got 2 0s (no scores), and both in the last two videos.
I think I can remember where one happened, and I’ll give you the scenario so that those that will be taking it are very aware.

Scenario:
A white van was travelling about 50 meters in front then indicated to stop/park on the left, it was stopping/parking just before a road island. On, almost, getting along the back of the van (to pass it) the backdoor swings open. I’ll advice you to click at this point, I didn’t. I didn’t because I had already clicked when the van indicated, then I clicked again (twice) when I found out that “I” had to slow down considerably to manoeuvre between it and the island, so when the backdoor flung open and “I” hit the brakes harder, I didn’t click, thinking that I would get the X and score a 0. Well, I didn’t click and I scored a 0 anyways. So be ready to click at his point.

Other scenarios are:

1. The one going under a rail track (through a big culvert) appears but is dissimilar to the one we know. An LGV is in front of you and will be turning left into a side road before the culvert. On getting to the culvert another LGV will come towards you, after it passes you continue but there is a Ford (water) on the ground, the car almost stops. I advice you click at this point, because I think that is where I scored my second 0 because I didn’t click since I clicked for the LGV coming passed which made ‘me’ to stop.
  2. There is one with a motorcycle driving in front on an A road., then up the road a white van pulls from a lay-by straight into the front of the motorcycle which makes him brake hard, then ‘you’. Well its different, before the lay-by there is a road on the left, a Mercedes pulls out from there with speed, the biker brakes hard then swerves, which makes ‘you’ brake hard. The biker continues, but not before swearing at the driver (that was funny because DVLA always teaches, in the DSV guides, to ignore the “error”, stay calm then drive on). The biker then pulls into the lay-by, to cool off probably.
  3. The one where an LGV crosses the front of “your” vehicle on the motorway from the right making a U turn. That one’s there and no change.

Can’t remember any more, but back to reading for my Multi-choice. Will let you know how that one goes.

Taking the test (Multi-Choice).
I took the Multi-choice on the 08/09/2017 and it went well. The passing score is 85 out of 100 and I scored 97. I must say I was disappointed that I failed 3 questions because I read quite a lot for this. I covered the ‘The Official DVSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles’ twice. The first time I got an average of 93% out of over 1000 questions, the second an average of 99%, so yeah, a bit disappointed. Anyways, the main event is the practical training and test.

However, for those studying for the exam, definitely read and only read the ‘The Official DVSA Theory Test for Drivers of Large Vehicles’, because ALL the questions bar about 4 came from it. Yes, you could download apps or tests from the web, but make sure you don’t BUY any. After going through quite a few apps, I realised that they get the questions from the official book, so there was no need to continue, I decided to go through the book for the second time. The only question I can remember that I found in an app test that wasn’t in the official book was about the legal eye test (6/something), anyway nothing on eye anything was in the test for me.

As I said all the questions came from the official theory test book, so there is no need in giving example questions (read the book).