Passed class 2.... class 1?

So I took my class 2 test on Friday and passed with 6 minors. Very pleased to be only the 3rd women to pass at my training centre :slight_smile: Anyway my question is should I try and get some experience on class 2 or just jump right into class 1? 3 of my minors were before we even set off, I used a shunt missed a mirror check on reverse and didn’t correctly show how to use full beam ( nerves ). The actual drive was really decent and I felt pretty confident. I’m wanting to do nights (trunking) so does it make more sense just to jump in?

Firstly, congratulations on the pass. There are two schools of thought on this issue:

Hold fire and get some experience. This will give you more confidence as you will be more used to driving a large vehicle. The downside is the bad habits collected along the way.

Go for it asap. You will still be in “learning mode” and so will adapt to the larger vehicle. With CE you massively increase your job prospects and potential earnings. Downside is the additional expense and the lack of experience in a larger vehicle.

From the comments you have made, I would support the “go for it asap” as you will increase the chances of getting night trunks massively. But I always recommend that, without a firm job offer in place, do not go into debt for it.

If you’re seriously considering this option, you would do well to look at our competition in the Sponsor Thread. You might end up with a CE for just £150! That sweetens it more than a little, I would have thought.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete,
I’ll check out the competition, I think that doing it while the test routes are still fresh in my mind and without the bad habits is probably going to be the best thing to do. How much harder is c+e compared to c?

There’s two ways of achieving CE. Using an artic or a drawbar (wagon and drag). The second option is easier as the trailer will follow the truck without cutting corners. It’s no easier or harder to reverse than an artic. You will need to uncouple and recouple the trailer as part of the test. This is more difficult with a drawbar as the lining up between the truck and the trailer needs to be quite precise whereas with an artic there is some leeway.

We offer both as it’s important that the candidate is driving a vehicle they are comfortable with.

If you’re going to end up driving an artic, either learn on one OR use a drawbar but get some practice in an artic before attempting a pre-employment assessment. Most schools with an artic will offer this.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks again Pete, I appreciate the advice.

Thanks ROG :slight_smile: