Knocking on doors really dose work

I passed category C three weeks ago and spent most of that time waiting for my licence and CPC and tachograph cards to come through.

By friday gone i had everything i needed and remembered the advice people had given me, " if knocking on doors to see transport managers do it on monday morning " so i waiting over the weekend and headed out this morning smartly dressed, work clothes and boots in the car, licences on me and CV’s in hand.

The day didn’t get off to a good start when the first place i turned up at had gone out of bussiness and was no longer there, but because it was a haulage company i handed my CV in anyway.

After that i went to a dairy another 7 miles down the road and handed one in there.

After that it was on to LWC drinks and had a chat with the TM and he said there are happy to take on new passes and are recruiting now and will call me later in the week.

After that i went to TNT who refused to even let me on site, so did Royal Mail and UK mail.

I didn’t let this get me down and i kept on meeting TM’ers and handing out CV’s.

After hours and hours and hours i was looking for the next one on my list but counldn’t find it, when i drove past a company with lots of lorries in the yard, i turned around and rang the intercom buzzer and asked to speak to the TM.

He came out to see me and i told him why i was there, he said " well you are in luck, one of my drivers handed his notice in this morning, come into my office and i’ll run the job past you.

After a chat / interview which lasted over an hour he said " i like you, you seem very keen and very enthusiastic ".

To cut a long story short, all going to plan i’ll start on Wedensday.

Couldn’t be happier, over the moon.

Thank you guys for all the great advice.

Getting out there in person really does work.

Well done, best of luck in your new job. :sunglasses:

Thanks.

I was going to try the well known companies who take on new passes ( Brakes, Bidvest, P&H, and the likes ) but in the end i never got round to it.

15 CV’s go nowhere once you get into the swing of it.

Very well done! All the best with it.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete.

None of it would have been possible without your company.

Chris MC really knows his stuff and is a great teacher.

Excellent, well done!

Well-jell really pleased for you.

Like that TM, I’m impressed by anyone that can be bothered to make the effort. Hope it works out well for you.

Thank you.

I’ve wanted a lorry driving job so bad for many years now and passing test is only the beginning really as there’s still hard work to put in to achieve getting your first job.

Getting out there and meeting TM’ers and handing out CV’s beats clicking the apply button online in my eyes and it’s definitely more spirit lifting as after 4-5 hours handing out CV’s i was sure something good was going to come out of it, and after a few more hours handing out CV’s it did.

As an advocate of going seeing people, I’ll add that even if this job is not the one for you ( hopefully it is!), still give your best. I took one of my lads on about 5 years ago when he was doing some casual for another company whose yard we went into occasionally. He seemed like a nice bloke, hard working and helpful, we had a vacancy so it was a no-brainer for both of us.

Yes i can see how knowing somebody who you know to be a hard worker, helpful and a nice person would make you want to take him on.

After all nobody wants to employ a lazy good for nothing, and you get them in all work places.

I couldn’t be anything other than keen and hard working when this is all I’ve wanted since been young.

Are you going to tell us a little about the job ? Dont expect you to name names .rates etc .but is it local. Days ,nights out , tipper etc . Good luck with it bythe way and if ur not sure about anything ask,oh and take your time youll get there just the same but safer

It’s days, fridge work. Local multidrop with a few drops having a bit more distance between each other, 40-50 minutes between some drops.

15-22 drops a day. It’s not £12 per hour or anything like that but it’s definitely more than NMW so i think I’ll be alright.

Really looking worwards to it, can’t wait to get started.

Knocking on doors really dose work.

I think you did well and may well get a good DOSE of work :wink: :laughing:

Love a good mis-spell :smiley:

Well-Jell:
He came out to see me and i told him why i was there, he said " well you are in luck, one of my drivers handed his notice in this morning, come into my office and i’ll run the job past you.

I wonder why? Better pay elsewhere? The company is joke to work for?

Well-Jell:
I was going to try the well known companies who take on new passes ( Brakes, Bidvest, P&H, and the likes )

I’ve worked for one of those companies,they take the mickey on the load and delivery time. They don’t like it when stock is brought back,because of having ran out of working time/driving hours

K27:

Well-Jell:

Nothing like some good old fashioned positivity.

Well done on the job to the o.p. :sunglasses:
W

K27:

Well-Jell:

Who cares if it’s a joke of a company, get your head down for 6 months take it, get the experience and go elsewhere.

Everyone has to start somewhere

Thanks woofgang, Djdandj89.

Completed first day yesterday.

It all went very well and was really enjoyable.

Seems like a great company to work for.

Other drivers say they wouldn’t consider to work anywhere else, if that’s the case i may have struck gold.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Well-Jell:
Thanks woofgang, Djdandj89.

Completed first day yesterday.

It all went very well and was really enjoyable.

Seems like a great company to work for.

Other drivers say they wouldn’t consider to work anywhere else, if that’s the case i may have struck gold.

Fingers crossed anyway.

That’s brilliant news mate. I hope it all works out for you.
W

Our retention rate is about 80%, that means 20% sooner or later are going to leave , so you falling lucky just means someone left and it indicates nothing about the firm. Sounds like you have fallen on your feet!

Woofgang, love that name :smiley: