Palmer & Harvey driving assessment

Hello all,

I passed my class 2 test on last Friday and have already had a company and an agency get pack to me on two full time positions. They must be desperate for drivers :wink:

So I have a driving assessment with P&H tomorrow in Hemel. Any advice and tips? I wasn’t expecting to get a driving assessment this soon, let alone a little bit of interest in me.

What should I bring? Wear? Treat the drive? Will there be an interview with questions too?

Thanks.

I currently work in Fareham, at P&H. My driving assessment was quite short, only 30 minutes. they took me down various types of roads such as a town centre, motorway etc. The interview took place afterwards. I didn’t really bring anything extra, only license, DQC and Tachocard. They are desperate for drivers as I am a new pass aswell (Only passed in april). The job is quite physical, so you have been warned :stuck_out_tongue:.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Nerodio:
I currently work in Fareham, at P&H. My driving assessment was quite short, only 30 minutes. they took me down various types of roads such as a town centre, motorway etc. The interview took place afterwards. I didn’t really bring anything extra, only license, DQC and Tachocard. They are desperate for drivers as I am a new pass aswell (Only passed in april). The job is quite physical, so you have been warned :stuck_out_tongue:.

Thanks for the reply - I tip a lot of P&H lorries at my current location of work and I’m always asking the drivers questions, they must be sick of me! But I realise that I may not get the best job at first. they way I see it, it’s all about the experience. Thanks

jordon1703:

Nerodio:

Thanks for the reply - I tip a lot of P&H lorries at my current location of work and I’m always asking the drivers questions, they must be sick of me! But I realise that I may not get the best job at first. they way I see it, it’s all about the experience. Thanks

I did the same when I worked at sainsbury’s as a warehouseman, asked the drivers and they said generally the job isn’t bad. Some quite awkward places they send you. The job generally isn’t bad. they work on a 4 day on and 3 day off rota with a 48 hour working week, to ensure they are on hours with the reference periods and so on, but generally will ask drivers to work overtime. 12 week probationary period. It’s a good place to learn the trade and get an idea of all the rules and regs with driving if ya are a new pass. Pretty decent pay aswell. Just very physical, hauling cages about weighing upto 350kgs or sometimes more around can be knackering.

They are quite hot on the tobacco side of it, but we have had agency drivers steal some bags of them so it’s to be expected really. You should get two weeks of training with another driver before they start sending you out on your own. I didn’t, I had two days then I was pretty much on my own. so bare that in mind that they may ask you to do that.

Again good luck :slight_smile:

P&H are desperate for drivers at the moment so show a good attitude and you should be alright.

Pay has just gone up at my depot to 33k + 2k bonus

Hard graft but when you get to know the drops it’s not too bad

jonnyboat:
P&H are desperate for drivers at the moment so show a good attitude and you should be alright.

Pay has just gone up at my depot to 33k + 2k bonus

Hard graft but when you get to know the drops it’s not too bad

Thanks for advice. They were advertising £29k axor this position, which I have to say is better than I was expecting

jordon how did you get on?

edwin catflap:

It was all just a big mess up and PH didn’t read my CV properly clearly. Their insurance policy is only valid for over 21s, So that rules me out. I only found that out once I arrived… although it’s looking good because I have managed to arrange another assessment with a different company next week - and their insurance is valid for under 21s.

Live and learn I guess :confused: :slight_smile:

jonnyboat is the 33k for 5 day shift? I heard there are 4 or 5 day shifts now, are their 4 days worked in a row or split?
Cheers.

I presume it’s both as they are all 48 hrs per week. Some on the 4 day shift have a split in between, others don’t do I guess it depends on what they are trying to fill and what you can negotiate.

Okay. Are you full time or agency there?

Agency

jordon1703:

edwin catflap:

It was all just a big mess up and PH didn’t read my CV properly clearly. Their insurance policy is only valid for over 21s, So that rules me out. I only found that out once I arrived… although it’s looking good because I have managed to arrange another assessment with a different company next week - and their insurance is valid for under 21s.

Live and learn I guess :confused: :slight_smile:

I’m in the dreaded under 25 category too mate, was at Brakes Class 2 but did my Class 1 on a 0% credit card, best thing I’ve done, was 22 when I passed only 4 months ago, 23 now, and the money is way better and if you show you are not a moron and listen to what everyone says, some decent companies will be way more interested in you who they can nurture how they want than some know it all driver who has been driving 20 years and is unwilling to listen.