The different types of gig

Hey guys,

I’m new to the forum, getting my class 2 in September and hoping to start driving quite quickly. Maybe even get my class 1 straight away too.

I’ve tried looking for this question but can’t find it so, but forgive me if you have been asked already.

I’d like to know the different types of work there are as a driver, I’ve heard of multidrop, handballing and tramping. Are there any more?

Out of all of them, tramping seems more my kind of thing, but I have a friend who does that and he is out all week and only comes back Saturday night, then back to it on Monday morning. I’d like to do tramping but don’t think being out ALL week is ideal. Is this the standard with tramping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jobs are varied, if for example you did 7.5 multidrop, it could mean 60 drops in your local city, back home every night, or it could mean 5 drops all over the country being away for 2 days.

All I can say is do your research as much as possible, talk to the drivers if that is an option, ask at the interview as much as possible. I always use the interview to ask as much as I can, I don’t like walking into anything blind if I can help it.

One caveat, what they tell you and the truth do not always tally :wink:

I am tramping in 7.5t.
Get all over the country and really enjoy it. I’ve come back to tramping after a lay off of several years.
I love being out all week and getting all over the country.
I do 2 or 3 drops/collections a day.
My previous job was 6 to 10 drops a day and no nights out. We did cover a large area though so drops could be hours apart.
I did multi drop in my youth and I’d say that’s a young man’s game. I couldn’t get in and out of the cab 60 times in a day anymore, let alone do the actual deliveries.
Tramping ain’t for everyone, but if you dont try it you’ll never know.

I started hgv about 2 and a half years ago, started doing days on supermarket work, tried general haulage day work and didn’t really enjoy the work though the hours were ok. Now do bulk powder and stay out 3/4 nights a week. Really enjoy the work after getting used to the nights out, pretty much stress free driving.

There is so many types of work its going to be very hard to list them all or even remember them all.

Handballing is just where your load needs to be manually loaded or unloaded by hand.

As well as others there is:-

1. Day work.
  2. Multidrop.
  3. Tramping.
  4. Trunking.
  5. Local.
  6. Distance.
  7. European.
  8. International.
  9. Hiab.
  10. Tanker work.
  11. ADR.
  12. Quarry work.
  13. RORO skips.
  14. Moffet.
  15. Tipper work.

That’s just some of the types of work there is, i know there’s more but my mind has gone blank.

Well-Jell:
There is so many types of work its going to be very hard to list them all or even remember them all.

Handballing is just where your load needs to be manually loaded or unloaded by hand.

As well as others there is:-

1. Day work.
  2. Multidrop.
  3. Tramping.
  4. Trunking.
  5. Local.
  6. Distance.
  7. European.
  8. International.
  9. Hiab.
  10. Tanker work.
  11. ADR.
  12. Quarry work.
  13. RORO skips.
  14. Moffet.
  15. Tipper work.

That’s just some of the types of work there is, i know there’s more but my mind has gone blank.

Fridge work
Removals work
Container work.

Our work is a mix of Uk and European, so some weeks you see your own bed, some weeks you are somewhere in Europe. Mostly double manning for security reasons. If abroad, it’s normally no more than load once and tip once.

As said there are too many to list. I did a library van on agency when I first passed class 2. It was m-f 9-5 with a half day on a Wednesday. So it’s not all 15 hours a day handball, there are some cushy numbers out there, it’s just a matter of finding them.

Thanks for your replies guys I really appreciate it. Tbh i really don’t want to be getting out the cab god knows how many times a day. I quite fancy being told to deliver something say 200 miles away and me just doing that trip for the day. This may sound like a nothing comment but I want to be out driving, not ■■■■■■■ about. Hope you know what I mean by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That kind of work would be known as distance or trunking.