Assessment drive advice

I have got an assessment drive on saturday morning and just wondered if there was any advice people could give me. It will be a mercedes rigid 18t 4 wheeler either 6 speed or auto. Hoping the later as I passed in an auto but 6 speed doesn’t sound so bad lol.

In most cases if you pass a driving assessment do you get the job. I know it may differ between companies but what is it in most cases?

Just feeling a bit nervous as it feels like a make or break situation and I really want this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Depends who the company is.

They want a smooth drive, mirrors mirrors and more mirrors to the extent your almost spending more time being the Mrs looking in the mirror than going forward.
It’s a drive not a race, listen to the assessor, you’ll get a bit town stuff and Dual / motorway Watch the limits , yes LIMITS not TARGETS if you can use CC use it if it’s auto and it has Eco mode on the selector select it.
Just enjoy it .

If it’s a manual you probably wont need 1st gear unless loaded and setting off uphill. Block change as appropriate. Do a walkround check before anything else. If you’re told it’s been done and all ok, still quickly walk round.

Most companies will only go this far if they are likely to offer you the job. Some do this first and then an interview. Occasionally, the company may like to have one or two drivers “in the pipeline”. So impossible to answer your question but hopefully there will be something available.

Stay cool and enjoy.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thank you for the advice. I had a kind of interview on monday which was basically just kind of a chat and about the company, the job and about myself. Filled in the application form.

So basically just take me time and don’t rush. Trained in a DAF as well so hopefully wont be too different but then again surely they don’t differ too much or then again I may be wrong.

Fingers crossed lol

Also with a 6 speed manual. What are the gear change ratios like?. By this I mean whats a decent speed to change gear at as I assume the truck will be limited to 56mph like most.

So for example.

Pull away in second (if empty or on flat)
3rd mayby 20mph?
4th 30mph?
5th 40 mph?
6th 50 mph?

Is this about right? Also say rolling up to a roundabout and want to carry on would second be sufficent or mayby 3rd. Thanks in advance. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Almost impossible to answer. Varying engine powers, diff ratios, vehicle empty or loaded etc etc. Listen to it. Don’t rev over the green band in normal driving.

If empty, there’s a fair chance you’ll be able to pull away in 2nd, complete most turns in 3rd and get on to a fast roundabout in 3rd or maybe 4th. But that relies on average diff ratios and the vehicle being fit. If it’s a weary old thing, or loaded, reduce all numbers by 1.

But they all vary. It could be new or could have 1,000,000 miles on it and be feeling a bit sick.

I’m sure you’ll sort it out, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Mate calm down. You seem to be over thinking everything. Look you’ve passed your test so you can drive to the required standard. Just keep calm, don’t rush and whatever happens happens. I’m sure you’ll be fine pal. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Andy Pandy:
Mate calm down. You seem to be over thinking everything. Look you’ve passed your test so you can drive to the required standard. Just keep calm, don’t rush and whatever happens happens. I’m sure you’ll be fine pal. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: yes your right mate. definetlu over thinking things. like say just dont rush and am im sure ill be fine :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Peter Smythe:
Almost impossible to answer. Varying engine powers, diff ratios, vehicle empty or loaded etc etc. Listen to it. Don’t rev over the green band in normal driving.

If empty, there’s a fair chance you’ll be able to pull away in 2nd, complete most turns in 3rd and get on to a fast roundabout in 3rd or maybe 4th. But that relies on average diff ratios and the vehicle being fit. If it’s a weary old thing, or loaded, reduce all numbers by 1.

But they all vary. It could be new or could have 1,000,000 miles on it and be feeling a bit sick.

I’m sure you’ll sort it out, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

cheers for the reply peter. i guess your rite and it just depends on the truck. I suppose there will be no harm in just asking what it drives like on the day as a kind of heads up :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

With any vehicle - not just trucks - you need to feel the gear changes rather than think them.

Watch the revs, the road ahead, the traffic conditions and what your planned next move is, then pick the gear accordingly. It sounds more complicated than it is, you can just feel whether it is pulling, over-revving or struggling, and make a change to set things straight again. The straight six speed gearbox is simple, just like driving a car (except not using 1st gear to pull away). No range change, no gear splitting…simples.

I passed by HGV tests in manual trucks but have only ever encountered one manual in the wild. That was a six speed and it was easy to get the hang of it.

Good luck!

ORC:
With any vehicle - not just trucks - you need to feel the gear changes rather than think them.

Watch the revs, the road ahead, the traffic conditions and what your planned next move is, then pick the gear accordingly. It sounds more complicated than it is, you can just feel whether it is pulling, over-revving or struggling, and make a change to set things straight again. The straight six speed gearbox is simple, just like driving a car (except not using 1st gear to pull away). No range change, no gear splitting…simples.

I passed by HGV tests in manual trucks but have only ever encountered one manual in the wild. That was a six speed and it was easy to get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Thanks ORC. I know what you mean. Sure when im driving ill feel if it is in the right gear or not and like you say just remember that I don’t need 1st to pull away. Saying it is just like a car makes me feel a whole lot better :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

it is just like a car

It is just like a car so far as the layout of the gears is concerned. But don’t try and change gear as quickly as with a car. Changing up, “lean” the stick on the next gear and wait for the revs to drop. It will virtually pull itself into gear. Changing down, ensure that you’ve slowed the vehicle to an appropriate speed for the gear you’re aiming for. Do not try and slow the vehicle by using gears.

Nice and steady wins.

Peter Smythe:

it is just like a car

It is just like a car so far as the layout of the gears is concerned. But don’t try and change gear as quickly as with a car. Changing up, “lean” the stick on the next gear and wait for the revs to drop. It will virtually pull itself into gear. Changing down, ensure that you’ve slowed the vehicle to an appropriate speed for the gear you’re aiming for. Do not try and slow the vehicle by using gears.

Nice and steady wins.

thank you for the advice. I will post next to say how i got on. wish me luck :smiley: :smiley:

Just a little update on how the drive went. It was a mercedes 6 speed manual. Overall it went well except for a little mishap of going to far for 2nd and accidently slipping it into reverse. Rest went ok though. I must not of done too bad anyway as I GOT THE JOB!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I start on the 18th of september and I cant wait to start. 14 years in retail is finally coming to an end :smiley: :smiley: . I had one main question for the TM though and that was basically do you force drivers over there hours. After reading another post I was a bit worried about that as I am not about to throw away my licence for being forced to break the law. The guy said that they dont condone it in any way shape and form and he seemed genuine. Seems like it is going to be a great company to work for. At least saying that I have only just passed I am just counting myself lucky that I have actually got on a companies books without even having to touch agencies. Plus they said they put class 2 drivers through to there class 1 eventually and all cpc training is paid for. Also he said to you could benefit greatly from a decent truck sat nav and a good road map. So going to treat myself lol.

Time now to study drivers hours regs thoroughly so I up to scratch for when i start.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice. Much appreciated :smiley: :smiley:

Well done .

So what company are we looking out for to avoid the 18trs with :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Glad it worked out for you. All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:
Well done .

So what company are we looking out for to avoid the 18trs with :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Cheers

hahaha

Its a company called nelson distribution so yea keep an eye out lol

Peter Smythe:
Glad it worked out for you. All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete :smiley: :smiley:

cheetham100:
I have got an assessment drive on saturday morning and just wondered if there was any advice people could give me. It will be a mercedes rigid 18t 4 wheeler either 6 speed or auto. Hoping the later as I passed in an auto but 6 speed doesn’t sound so bad lol.

In most cases if you pass a driving assessment do you get the job. I know it may differ between companies but what is it in most cases?

Just feeling a bit nervous as it feels like a make or break situation and I really want this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

From my experience most assessors are bigots. They attempt to catch drivers out, only to make a pathetic point. The fact is, if they were any good at the job they would not be assessing.

My advice would be to patronise the assessor by asking them how they would go about the various processes, even when you know how. Continually praise them by thanking them for learning you something new, they love this. Approach the situation like your undertaking driving lesson and you’ll sail through.

Well done on the result [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk