New trainee driver

Hi,

I’m at the stage of doing my theory and have the practical/CPC all booked and paid for. I wanted to ask will I struggle to get work when I’ve passed with DR10 on my licence from 9 years ago? I’ve had no points or convictions since.
I completely forgot about it until I checked my licence on DVLA website.

Thanks,

It all depends on the company usually. A lot of companies will not take people with drink or drug driving codes along with one or two others. Most companies will accept up to 6 points generally some even up to 9 points. As far as I know DR codes stay on your licence for 10 years so you may well struggle to get work at some places, some of the smaller not so good paid companies however may be more relaxed about it and be able to employ you. In any case I suspect any company employing someone with that code on their licence will be Lilley asking a lot of questions and I would be expecting regular drugs and alcohol tests.
Once the code has expired then as far as I remember you don’t need to inform them any longer but I could be wrong on that but assume after 10 years it is removed from your licence.

I won’t get into the argument about drink driving as we all know it shouldn’t be done but does happen and sometimes it is a genuine mistake other no so.

Either way honesty is the best policy and good luck in finding something suitable.

No mate only ink now Be long gone.Clean sheet Now

Cheers, I hope it doesn’t stop me to much then. Just one silly mistake in my young days, never thought it would stop me now.

Do you think it’s best start looking at agency work when I’ve passed to get experience?

Corbs/:
Cheers, I hope it doesn’t stop me to much then. Just one silly mistake in my young days, never thought it would stop me now.

Do you think it’s best start looking at agency work when I’ve passed to get experience?

Your best bet is to find a company that will give you a job, with a DD endorsement still on your licence most agencies won’t want to know you.

Try the agencies by all means, but don’t be disappointed when they refuse to even consider giving you work.

Check out the job adverts and you’ll see that most agencies say maximum 6 points and no DDs.

Cheers for the comments appreciate it

Just thought I’d chime in as when I passed my class 2 and 1 I was in a slightly worse position then you, I was 25 / 26 with a 3/4yr old DR10. I found a good local haulier and was completely upfront from the get go, he took me on with 0 experience as soon as I’d passed class 2 as it didn’t effect his actual premium it just altered the excess. So my boss said anyway, I’ve been there over 18months now and on class 1 as happy as Larry, I did look at having a change from pallet multi drop and found after it hit the 5yr mark it wasn’t an issue in 90% of cases. I decided to stay put though as my pay isn’t that bad but I have a top boss who is very good and work with top fellas etc. I’d imagine you’ll be fine tbh and the only places you may have an issue is agencies as they seemed to think it mattered for the whole 11yrs (but it doesn’t, after 5 it is considered rehabilitated and is only on there for the remaining 6 for if you reoffend) hope this is of some help and best of luck. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chime in all you want mate I need all the info I get get :smiley: . I’m 30 now and like I said it was 9 years ago so hoping it doesn’t stop me. I should be passed in 4 to 5 weeks then I will start applying and looking at local company’s.

Thanks very much :smiley:

I’m sure you’ll be considered with the smaller family operators. They tend to be more flexible and, dare I say, understanding sometimes.

Don’t make any attempt to disguise the fact (though I don’t think you would) and you may well be respected for it.

All the very best with the search, Pete :laughing: :laughing: