Long winded nonsense

So … I have a dilemna.

I work as a Warehouse Shift Manager for a large 3pl having recently left another job doing similar elsewhere. I am on quite a good screw financially and have ‘a career path’ to develop my earning potential further.

Having got my class 2 last year after about 4 years of planning, saving and failed tests I had a little go at agency driving. Had no intention really of using class 2 and going straight to class 1 but the advice I got was do some class 2 before you do. Because of a lack of annual leave left as well as (despite being on good money) lack of funds its looking like next year for that although my other half already has 2 or 3 holidays planned for us next year, so may struggle with that too :smiley: :open_mouth: .

Did some jobs that could be described as the lower end of driving work (or to put it bluntly dogs[zb] trucks, caged multidrop with stuck up [zb] shopkeepers. In fact the job would have been good were it not for the [zb]s in the shops). Also did building site deliveries which I enjoyed. Problem is if I didn’t already have it (which I did) I have got the bug. I envy the truck drivers on the road as i’m making my way to work, out and about for the day seeing different sights even if it is just the verge of the motorway and the central reservation, as I spend another eight hours under artificial light in a dark warehouse chasing pickers or looking numbers on a computer screen.

Part of the problem is a small amount of pressure from family not wanting to dissapoint them by ‘wasting’ my potential. I am also very good at what I do. But I think to myself I am my own man and my own happiness is key. But then I also have doubts HGV driving will fulfil me longer term. A lot of the firms where I live are poor payers along with poor terms and conditions, [zb] trucks, [zb] work. Tramping is kind of out the question as well due to family commitments. What i’m saying is I may be out the frying pan into a job for a crappy firm with little option to change when the novelty has worn off. Equally i’m hoping I make the change and find myself saying I should have done this a long time ago.

As I said above I have recently changed jobs and obviously this is a stressful time and I have been ready to jack and go driving rigids on caged multi drop delivery (which although isn’t great work, it is fantastic exercise and pretty good money).

So apologies for the long winded self obsessed post but I think I just wanted to write my thoughts down. And maybe get some thoughts from some complete strangers on the internet. I have a list of the pro’s and con’s of both in my head but find there isn’t a tipping point either way and sometimes following the gut instinct can lead to both very bad as well as very good decisions. Interesting point is that my Uncle who is 68 still drives class 1 4 on 4 off and has absolutely no intention of giving up despite having no financial reason to work. Decisions, decisions …

Can you earn enough from driving to pay your bills and have enough left over for a pint?

Assuming you can then will you be happier driving?

If it turns out you hate driving for a living how easily could you go back to what you currently do?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

With very little experience the choice of jobs can be limited until you’ve done your so a called time as it were. So chances are you won’t be allocated a shiny new motor. Most of us have done the time doing rubbish jobs and wages till we were able to move on and up. Agencies usually determine supermarket jobs and it’s usually multi drop cage work on class 2. I’m not saying you won’t get a great paying top of the range all singing all dancing job with top spec motor just you will find it difficult.
Going into any job with the attitude of I don’t like it so I won’t do it won’t get you on the road very fast. Also when you do get said job being a yes man will get you run ragged.
Having a young family makes you think that tramping is not for you. So day work or trunking on class 1 would probably be best

From my view though I recently had to cover a planners job and hated every minute. Even my worst days on the road are better than sitting in an office or warehouse and I was a warehouse manager for about 5 years.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it all.

Aurri:
With very little experience the choice of jobs can be limited until you’ve done your so a called time as it were. So chances are you won’t be allocated a shiny new motor. Most of us have done the time doing rubbish jobs and wages till we were able to move on and up. Agencies usually determine supermarket jobs and it’s usually multi drop cage work on class 2. I’m not saying you won’t get a great paying top of the range all singing all dancing job with top spec motor just you will find it difficult.
Going into any job with the attitude of I don’t like it so I won’t do it won’t get you on the road very fast. Also when you do get said job being a yes man will get you run ragged.
Having a young family makes you think that tramping is not for you. So day work or trunking on class 1 would probably be best

From my view though I recently had to cover a planners job and hated every minute. Even my worst days on the road are better than sitting in an office or warehouse and I was a warehouse manager for about 5 years.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it all.

What made you come out of that and onto the road? Was there a tipping point or was that the plan?

What made you come out of that and onto the road? Was there a tipping point or was that the plan?

Realised I liked being out away from everything. After talking to a regular class 2 driver that used to deliver to us. I decided to go for my class 2 got it. Got turned down for some jobs did a couple of agency runs out didn’t like agencies though, then ended up delivering pet food for the last 3 years.

Lots of reasons behind it, if people annoy you at work in an office you have to put up with them cover there jobs etc…but on the road I know that whoever cuts me up annoys me whatever 5 min after an incident I will probably never see them again, fresh air and sunshine is another reason, I found that a vitamin d deficiency affects your mood also. But ultimately driving had been with me for a long time.

I haven’t wanted an office job since. Previous to that I was a time served mechanical engineer, neither of which made me happy.

For 1 more week I will be a night manager in a supermarket. Due to various reasons I have spent the last year getting my class 1 and have my first job lined up.

My.girlfriend is worried I will get bored driving but there will always be supermarkets if it doesn’t work out.

I don’t know the op’s full circumstances but a large part of my issues is the hassle that comes with the job. Phone calls and emails on my day off. Being responsible for up to 30 people and if they do anything stupid its my fault and I need to explain it.

I am looking forward to coming to work doing my job and going home and not needing to think about work until I pick the keys up the next day. Any problems and ring the office and make it their problem.

I am past the stage of life where money is my main concern. As said if I can pay the bills that Will do me. We spend a lot of time at work we should try and enjoy it