Non local sitting my C class in Glasgow

Hi, I’m sitting my practical test tomorrow in Glasgow, with Ritchies. I’m fine with the parking and I think, overall, I might get away with the driving of the truck. My main problem is I’m not originally from Glasgow and 95% of the time I don’t know the roads I’m in, so I’m a bit scared of screwing up going the wrong way or getting in the wrong lane and getting stuck or doing something like that. I’m going to give it my best shot but I’m not confident at all because of this. I wonder if somebody else have been in this same situation and how you dealt with it.

Cheers.

Benigno:
Hi, I’m sitting my practical test tomorrow in Glasgow, with Ritchies. I’m fine with the parking and I think, overall, I might get away with the driving of the truck. My main problem is I’m not originally from Glasgow and 95% of the time I don’t know the roads I’m in, so I’m a bit scared of screwing up going the wrong way or getting in the wrong lane and getting stuck or doing something like that. I’m going to give it my best shot but I’m not confident at all because of this. I wonder if somebody else have been in this same situation and how you dealt with it.

Cheers.

Hi “Benigno”, Loads of us old drivers were faced with the same thing years ago, My advice to you is just relax & Go for it, Its no different to going to a delivery for the first time in the middle of London or The Bull Ring in Brummy Land, Anyway good luck with your test , & When you pass let us all know on here, Regards Larry.

You’ve trained, you understand the roads and the signage. I passed my class 1 in another city actually another country. Relax drive the vehicle as you know you can, don’t over analise, and don’t talk yourself out it.

At the end of the day your first day on the job is going take you to somewhere you’ve never been well this is your first day on the job really.

Sent from my Lenovo PB1-770M using Tapatalk

Done both of mines at richies, and I think we’d covered the main sections of all the test routes within the first 3 days- or so they told us. Anything i’d got in the test we’d done in the training anyway. If not, its just like the other two have said already, take ur time and try to plan ahead. Some of the turnings up high street and that will require you to straddle so make sure you’re looking out for them. Also, they’ll maybe try and catch you out with the bus lanes, make sure you’re paying attention to the times. I think - but could be wrong- if you dont go in to the bus lane when its open, and someone under takes you because of it then it’s serious, if not a fail. Hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would the examiner want to pass a driver who can only drive on roads they know :question:

Are translators allowed on tests? Any non-Glaswegan speakers are at a significant disadvantage.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Thanks for the answers, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Benigno:

Cheers.

Yeah, I sat my cat C test in Darlington, which I wasn’t familiar with, got in the right hand lane at a roundabout, to bear right (though it was the same A road designation I was going on) and then fund that the roundabout was so tight, because I had kept fully within the right hand lane, that I was presented with a choice between mounting the roundabout, or hitting the car to my left.
A fail/fail situation.
I think being fully in the left lane would’ve been difficult too.
I learned from it, and nowadays in a roundabout situation like this, I ‘boss it’ - straddle both lanes, indicating, and watching for cyclists/motorcyclists, who could still squeeze down.
So, my point is, look out for roundabouts like this, and plan your strategy well in advance of your arrival at it.
Hope that helps!?

Shandy123:

Benigno:

Cheers.

Yeah, I sat my cat C test in Darlington, which I wasn’t familiar with, got in the right hand lane at a roundabout, to bear right (though it was the same A road designation I was going on) and then fund that the roundabout was so tight, because I had kept fully within the right hand lane, that I was presented with a choice between mounting the roundabout, or hitting the car to my left.
A fail/fail situation.
I think being fully in the left lane would’ve been difficult too.
I learned from it, and nowadays in a roundabout situation like this, I ‘boss it’ - straddle both lanes, indicating, and watching for cyclists/motorcyclists, who could still squeeze down.
So, my point is, look out for roundabouts like this, and plan your strategy well in advance of your arrival at it.
Hope that helps!?

Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep it in mind. I’m back from my test, I failed in a roundabout too, funny enough. I entered a roundabout too slow in the wrong gear and a car had to break to wait for me… Stupid way to fail. booked for a second sit on the 24th

I had a chance to sit it a bit earlier and I passed with 4 minors. So happy!

Benigno:

Cheers.

To pass a driving test the candidate should be able to drive to the standard required on unfamiliar roads

HOWEVER…

Local knowledge of the roads would be extremely beneficial to the candidate as this will breed confidence throughout the test knowing the road layout, weight limits and speed limit changes etc…

I would encourage trainees to book in with a local training provider as long as you have evaluated the quality of training it provides!!!

I only train on the test routes near the Wetherby test centre so when the candidate takes the test they are familiar to the roads, believe me this is very beneficial.

Regards

Paul

I cant disagree with the comment above. But the other side of the coin is that complacency can become an issue when very familiar with the area.

We have a huge customer base with a large proportion of residential candidates. The pass rate is no different for local folks or those who choose to travel for quality.

I recently had a local guy letting me know that a certain road is a 40 limit and that he knew that cos it’s his route to work. In fact, the limit changed to 30 about 3 years ago! Classic.

But, as Paul made clear, the most important issue is to ensure you’re going to get quality training providing you with the desired outcome.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I cant disagree with the comment above. But the other side of the coin is that complacency can become an issue when very familiar with the area.

:

Complacency whilst on test Peter?- Really??

Only today I had a local taxi driver who passed and training him made it a lot easier because of his familiarity to the road network.

Local knowledge breeds confidence and is a massive common denominator to be successful on passing the test.

Regards

Paul

Just to add a candidate who doesn’t know the area is more focused about lane position consequently becomes blinkered and starts forgetting mirror checks and indicators etc which can result in a serious fault.

Paul

If a candidate finds it difficult to pass in an unknown area then what chance do they stand perhaps a week later doing it for a living :question:

ROG:
If a candidate finds it difficult to pass in an unknown area then what chance do they stand perhaps a week later doing it for a living :question:

Not the point Rog the post is about making it easier to pass the test which is the main priority.

If you want me to elaborate I find it a lot easier driving my car round Leeds where I know where I’m going rather than London.

To further add when I was a truck driver for a living I felt a lot more comfortable going to a regular drop rather than a new one where I was unsure of its location!!

Now can you see where I’m coming from?

Paul

elmet training:

ROG:

Not the point Rog the post is about making it easier to pass the test which is the main priority.

If you want me to elaborate I find it a lot easier driving my car round Leeds where I know where I’m going rather than London.

To further add when I was a truck driver for a living I felt a lot more comfortable going to a regular drop rather than a new one where I was unsure of its location!!

Now can you see where I’m coming from?

Paul

I must be weird then because I found both ok :unamused:

Just to add a candidate who doesn’t know the area is more focused about lane position consequently becomes blinkered and starts forgetting mirror checks and indicators etc which can result in a serious fault.

Interesting and credible theory. But has no basis in fact IME of training nearly 1,000 “out of area” candidates. The pass rates are the same for those who know the area and those who don’t.

End of the day the long and short of it is that local knowledge of the area makes life a lot less stressful which every road user will agree.

That’s my take on it…

Paul :slight_smile:

Peter Smythe:

Interesting and credible theory. But has no basis in fact IME of training nearly 1,000 “out of area” candidates. The pass rates are the same for those who know the area and those who don’t.

I think it is more a fact than a theory. Not knowing the roads is a disadvantage and it will make your test harder, if the test is harder you are more likely to fail, so simple as that.

As I said, I passed yesterday with 4 minors, every single one of them due to the lack of knowledge of the roads (late positioning etc). It’s not that not knowing the area will make you fail or make you incapable of doing the job, but it’s something else you have to worry about…

Now, my advice for those in this situation is to take your time, better risk a couple minors for undue hesitation or position than failing because you get stuck in a situation you can’t get out of.