Avoid "EPL Training" in Liverpool

I had a very bad experience with this training provider. I began training with a guy called Ian who I found out wasn’t a qualified trainer, he just held the license and did driving full time and was covering for another trainer. A DVSA examiner told me to find another training provider after I failed my test, I wasn’t told anything about show and tell me questions, the examiner said I had been taught “bad habits” and worse of all the reversing setup that I was practising on was completely inaccurate. I wasted £1,600 on this training and lost hundreds more in lost wages.

ItsJoe:
I had a very bad experience with this training provider. I began training with a guy called Ian who I found out wasn’t a qualified trainer, he just held the license and did driving full time and was covering for another trainer. A DVSA examiner told me to find another training provider after I failed my test, I wasn’t told anything about show and tell me questions, the examiner said I had been taught “bad habits” and worse of all the reversing setup that I was practising on was completely inaccurate. I wasted £1,600 on this training and lost hundreds more in lost wages.

Why did you choose them :question:

eplhgvtraining.co.uk/
Bit odd that their email address is for EPL RECRUITMENT :exclamation:

That’s the problem .
To teach someone how to drive you just need to hold the full licence for the category.

Why did you choose them :question:

eplhgvtraining.co.uk/
Bit odd that their email address is for EPL RECRUITMENT :exclamation:

I had looked around my area, most known providers were fully booked. I went down to their offices and sat down with their operations manager and felt comfortable doing my training. He told me his trainer did this full time, new training truck and its all 1on1 tuition. I wasn’t being cheap by going with them, I genuinely thought they would be the best for me in my situation.

These stories are all too common and until folks start asking seriously for qualifications and recommendations the situation wont improve. The last one I came across was a so called trainer who went on holiday and got an agency driver to stand in for him. Yet another fail and over a grand down the drip.

The sad part with the OP is that he did attempt to do his homework, visiting the trainer and satisfying himself.

People need to fully understand that the training industry has absolutely no mandatory regulation apart from the “instructor” holding a licence for 3 years and the truck being legal and carrying the correct load.

A so-called school recently started in Nottingham. They presented a minibus without seats for a C1 test. Naturally it was turned away. Some of these set-ups are farcical and it’s time they left it to professionals.

I don’t expect everyone to come rushing to me, but please do your your homework thoroughly before parting with many months of savings.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

A bit of homework. A look at their website displays the JAUPT cpc logo and there’s pictures, apparently, of their training room for cpc. What drew my attention is that it is a strict rule from JAUPT that the centre number must be displayed with the logo. And it isn’t. Then a search of JAUPT approved centres in Liverpool doesn’t show EPL. Now it is just possible that they are approved under a different name (why?) and have simply forgotten to add the centre number to the logo on the website. I’ll leave that thought with you.

This is a quote from their website - a very unfortunate spelling mistake!!

Congratulations Passing Driving Testes

And the picture of the Volvo artic looks very Photoshopped to me. But I may be quite wrong of course.

Plenty more I could point out but it’s enough for now. (But you might want to check the definition of C1 according to EPL!!)

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Speaking as a fully qualified barrack room lawyer, is there a smell of false advertising wafting around? Or maybe something stronger?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

It was guttering when the DVSA examiner told me I had been ripped off, I had saved for this for months and to be told it was mostly for nothing was just guttering. But the only good thing I hope to come from my experience is for other people not to fall for the same crap I did. Make sure the training provider is qualified and just not some cowboys making a quick buck.

Honestly don’t understand why hgv driving instructors don’t have to be qualified/registered. Just seems crazy to me. Why do the powers that be in the DVSA or governments past and present or even the industry itself allow this situation to exist?

Itsjoe is there any legal avenue that could be explored to recover some of your lost money?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I know nothing about the RHA other than what ive read,and the general opinion seems to be its nothing but a “club” for hauliers (employers rather than drivers ), perhaps pushing for legislation to get trainers up to an accredited standard is something they could push for ? whats your opinion as a trainer peter ■■

Unfortunately, the DVSA have never really seemed too bothered about the formal qualification for LGV instructors. It’s always been voluntary, the format of testing has in my opinion always been flawed, and at the end of 2016 DVSA showed their ‘commitment’ to it by giving up running the scheme to a 3rd party company, RTITB (albeit with their ‘approval’).

Since then, the format has become even more farcical, and a few instructors (including myself) have opted not to renew our former DSA registrations onto the new scheme.

The feedback I’ve heard from those who have done it has not been complimentary. One guy said the person conducting the test even admitted he didn’t think the testing format was any good!

In my opinion, it should’ve always been compulsory, as it is for ADIs, and should not have been passed off by DVSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All, My Name is Brad, I’m the managing Director of EPL Training in Liverpool, haven had our training company now 3 years, and this being our first complaint in three years, I can say myself and my team are doing a very good job to induct people into the industry.

Joe !! (the Keyboard Warrior) has never raised any issue’s what so ever with our company until after he failed his test !!

We had 3 people in for test that week all who was trained by Ian, I can confirm 2 out the 3 passed, well done to them lads !!! and have started working full time for ourselves, its a shame that Joe failed his test and become a keyboard warrior and started disrespect people who tried very hard to get him through his test.

After failing Joe was also supposed to come in and pay for his training, which we are still waiting for him in office, as no one has seen him he has been sent a letter to appear in court for none payment, I got the confirmation on this on Wednesday and what do you know he posted this on the Wednesday, in my eyes that confirms he got his also.

I’ll keep you all up to date on the court case as Joe must want this to also be public notice also, in the meantime we wish the keyboard warrior all the best in the future, and from myself and my office team , and the 100 drivers who work for us in and out every week !! we hope in time you grow a pair of balls and pay your bills and pass your test a become a real man and not a keyboard warrior !!!

3 years is Liverpool’s longest established hgv training centre? :open_mouth:

You are entitled to put your side of things on the thread, to defend yourself and your business. But please, for the love of god, proof read! The website contains so many spelling and grammar mistakes, not to mention you have completely muddled the class 1 and c1 entitlements up.

It is good to hear both sides where issues are raised :smiley:

That’s your reversing setup at Graylaw, Brad. I failed my test solely on the reversing. Me and my solicitor was up at Graylaw measuring your setup, it’s not the to the correct scale to the ones used by the DVSA. Ian told me Dan who was doing his class 1 had failed his test too and hadn’t been back to you at that time.

This all happened in June too, it’s not like I’ve just failed my test and taking my anger out on these forums. I’ve had time to think, talk with qualified trainers and had legal assistance. You’re bang out of order by making those comments above.

I mean no disrespect to brad, I am genuinely interested to hear his side of things before I condemn. All I was pointing out was that errors were made which cannot be good for business, some of them fundamental errors.

Also, I appreciate that he is eager to defend himself, but it takes a couple of minutes to proof read before hitting submit and basic errors do nothing for his credence as a professional.

To the op, what class was it? What are you going to do now? Will you be going to a new trainer? You have a lot invested in it to quit now :frowning: I know it’s a long distance for you, but I can highly recommend pete’s school from personal experience, they are by far and away the best I have ever trained with.

It was class 2 mate, I went to alternative trainers and the one I chose actually had qualifications and a to size reversing setup. Surprise surprise I past my class 2 first time with them and I’ll shortly be doing my class 1 when I receive my license back.

Pleased that you got it in the end, if you want to you can post a recommendation for the school and get rog to add it to his link in his signature. I hope all goes well for you with the class 1 too :smiley:

In the interest of transparency, Ian who was training me only told me he wasn’t a full time trainer after I failed the test because I asked him about the test route I went on, he said he last done training a decade ago and wasn’t up to date with the latest routes. EPL Training has only been operating for 3 years, so how do you know he has a high pass rate, Brad? He only had two pupils in the week I was with him, the other being Dan who failed his test on the class one. So that’s two fails out of two in a week.