Have not had this on a wage slip before!

So I done 5 shifts for a different agency last week and the Friday before.

They said I was on £9 per hour.

When I look at the wage slip they have taken off £40 for WOS annual leave.

Pay before any deductions was £510 approx. Works out as 8.33% taken off me.

Have since found out that WOS stands for Without Out Salary.

So effectively I am paying for my own Holiday Pay.

Have you come across this before?

I went to see them in person and was fobbed off with the excuse that they use a payroll company and to ring them.

Which is what I will be doing Monday morning but wondered if anyone on here can help me?

I take it your working for the agency on a self employed basis.

WSO will be deducted but will be built up as holiday pay, so when you want time off you have built up some sort of holiday pay.

Sounds like you’re working through an umbrella company. Or maybe a limited company. This should’ve all been explained to you before you started.

Basically, you’re being classed as self employed. You clearly aren’t but that doesn’t stop the agencies. Self employed people are NOT entitled to holiday pay so you have to put a bit away each week to cover your days off. This should reflect in your hourly rate but seeing as you’re only on £9 an hour it clearly hasn’t been.

And look at it this way. Let’s say you get 6 weeks off per year, 30 days. It’s probably 28 but let’s round to 30. You work for 46 weeks per year and put £40 per week away. This gives you £1840 in your holiday pot. Divide that by 6 and you’ll get £306.66 for a week off. Less tax.

How long you been driving may I ask ?

If your new then ■■■■ it up until you can move on. If you got some experience under your belt and are doing agency for personal reasons then I’d be heading for the exit.

How did you get on ?

If you want to work out your true hourly rate you can do it like this.

You say you’re on £9 per hour and earned £510 for the week. That’s £102 per day and you get 28 days holiday. So to get £102 every time you had a day off you need to build up a holiday pot of £102 x 28 days = £2856. You’re working 232 shifts per year so would need to put away £12.31 per shift.

Do the sums mate and you’ll soon find your real hourly wage.

Then they’re gonna sting you for payroll. That’s right, these conmen will actually charge you to do your wages for you. The amount might surprise you. I’ve paid as little as £10 per wage slip but seen over £30 for others.

Have a read thru this and all may be a it clearer…

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146456

Welcome to the world of ‘Rolled-up holiday pay’ and not only paying your national insurance contributions, but your ‘employers’ contribution as well. What a scam.