PSTT make a dream come true for my Mum

Since I passed my C+E my mum has been saying she would love to have a go at driving an artic and trailer, it would be a dream come true for her.

Bear in mind she is has only ever driven cars mostly although she did have a drive in an old Iveco Eurocargo 18 tonner back in the early 2000’s around the yard of my boss at the time.

So, as it was her and my dad’s 20th wedding anniversary this week I wanted to do something for her she would certainly remember. I contacted Pete and explained the situation asked if he could assist in making a dream come true for my mum and organising a truck driving type experience for her. Pete said it was absolutely no problem at all and he would speak to the office and let them know I had spoken to him via PM so they had a heads up, and to ring the office to arrange a day and time.

I rang the office and was greeted by Tracey who knew all about it as Pete had been in touch with her, we discussed available dates and times and the date and time was Set for 28th July 2017 at 430pm. As always, the staff are incredibly helpful and nothing is too much trouble.

So, the day arrives for my mum to complete a truck driving experience.

We arrive at the test centre and enter the reception area and are greeted and offered a drink and a cake that some really nice fella bought in, ASDA chocolate doughnuts and/or Thornton’s delicious cupcakes.

Mum and Dad are introduced to staff present and told to take a seat whilst we wait for our instructor who won’t be too long, so a drink and cake it is while we wait. A quick glance out of the window and point to the Orange Jaffa truck my mum will be shortly having a go at driving. The sheer look of horror on their faces as they looked at it (remember sometimes people who don’t drive trucks are amazed by those of us that do) and it really dawned on them that my mum would be having a go at driving a 44-ton artic with 45ft of trailer behind it.

PSTT very kindly made up a little gift bag with some goodies and a certificate for my Mum as a keep sake and memento of her day. A very nice little touch which I certainly did not expect or even think of and greatly appreciated the thought that had been put into it.

It’s a glorious day as the liquid sunshine is coming down a fair bit and here comes Chris my mum’s instructor (or very brave man) who indulges in a doughnut but who can blame him really. So, it’s off out to the truck we go.

They stand for a moment looking at the truck and its sheer size, I half expected a comment of “I can’t do this it’s just too large for me to drive” or “I will never be able to reach the pedals” but no she is keen to get into the truck, albeit with a little help from me assisting her to climb up the steps into the cab, for someone relatively short and not as able bodied as someone younger it isn’t an easy task.

But we get her into the truck passenger seat with me sat on the bunk and Chris in the driving seat. Chris shows my mum the reverse manoeuvre that makes up the test procedure a reverse she will attempt soon enough herself.

So, with the truck parked in the coned reverse area, it is my mums turn to get into the driving seat for her first go in the truck. After a hand from to help her up the steps, she is now in the driving seat.

Chris explains the controls to her and seat controls to help her get into a position she feels comfortable with including a check that the mirrors are OK for her too.
Starting the truck and selecting slow forward speed it is time for her first go at driving a truck, all she needs to do is go forward and reverse back a few times. It was a struggle to get used to the accelerator pedal as we either are not moving or jerking off to a start but that is to be expected.
Chris gives her clear instructions of what he wants her to do, including steering input on reversing. After several goes at going forwards and backwards she is starting to get the hang of it to some degree. Sheer concentration on her face all the time she is going backwards and forwards.
Now it’s time to have a go at the actual reverse we have to do on our test. Very kindly they remove the B cone and make the garage wider just make it easier for her. Chris is outside the truck as per the test conditions and I am sat on the bunk to assist in relaying instructions as my mum is hard of hearing.

To say I am surprised is an understatement as she manages to complete the reverse, albeit slowly and going over the yellow line and not quite far enough into the box. But for a first attempt it’s not bad at all. The truck isn’t quite straight and my mum complains it’s not parked properly, as we both said though being perfectly straight wouldn’t be an issue as long as it was in the box, sadly it is still just outside the box. Bear in mind my mum is 65 years young so steering is hard going for her and she can’t get the steering wheel round quick enough at times but does a grand job of trying.
So, after that she has some more goes at going backwards and forwards into the box, I honestly think with more time and instruction they could easily teach her to do the test reverse and pass it.
My mum is elated she has driven an artic and reversed it and completed something she dreamed of being able to have a go at. My Dad is in awe that she did it as he said he wouldn’t even dare try having a go.

Yes, the weather could have been better but we don’t let that put us off.
The staff as always were incredibly helpful and Chris was so patient with her, the goodie bag was a lovely touch with a certificate of her experience. They really helped make a dream come true for her and for that I am very grateful.

It just goes to show if you’re prepared to give something a try no matter how old or young, or how able bodied you are anyone can do it to a degree.

We have come to the end now and say our thanks and it’s time to go for some food so off to the Caernarvon arms in Teversal for a meal and to discuss her experience. The day has come to an end.
I did not get as many pictures or video as I would have liked, mainly because I spent so much time in the truck with her, but have some pictures and a video or two.

As always, I would recommend PSTT for training or going to their open days for a drive etc, they really do excel at everything they do in my honest opinion. I could go on and on about the day but have tried to keep it as concise as possible but provide enough detail.

I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Absolutely brilliant. I’d never be able to get my old dear to have go.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That’s awesome.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I think its time to let her loose on a blindside! :grimacing:

Thanks for the comments. I was a little surprised when she kept saying she would love to try it even though she had driven an 18 tonner before. So I thought I’d put her to the test.

As for a blindside reverse maybe not lol

I should add it was about an hour to an hour and a half. And she has never even reversed a trailer or caravan or the like in her life really. She towed the caravan but they had a motor mover on it for parking it.

So I honestly say a few hours practising and learning I reckon she could ace the reverse manoeuvre quite easily with the instruction from Chris or any of the trainers at PSTT.

Yet again a big thank you to everyone there, Peter, Tracy and Chris and everyone else not mentioned. This would not have been possible without all their help.

Great post and well done to your Mum for giving it a go, the staff at PSTT and you for organising it!

You kow all her mates will want you to take them now :laughing:

Could be a money maker here, setting up offering lorry driving experience days?

We regularly donate a “ride in a juggernaut” for charity fundraising events. Many folks thoroughly enjoy the experience of being driven in an artic for an hour or so - and have paid well into three figures into the bargain!

It always serves as an eye opener and I’m happy that there is one more person who has some understanding of how an artic works and how much room it needs.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Looked great day, glad she enjoyed it! I’m sure many others here started out with a dream to drive!

spacemanZ10:
Looked great day, glad she enjoyed it! I’m sure many others here started out with a dream to drive!

She enjoyed it immensely. Although I think she is a little too old for a driving career now. She has been retired for some time now.

But thanks for the comment

IronEddie:
Could be a money maker here, setting up offering lorry driving experience days?

There are a few truck experiences available. Most cost around £85-99 but they tend to only last 15-20 mins od driving and obviously have to be on private ground. Airfields and racetracks seem to be the usual suspects.

I found one in Cornwall that lasts an hour to and hour and a half but that costs £270.

Usually done by race car transporter owners or Driving instructors.

Sure there is a bigger market for this type of thing but once your in a public space then the liability insurance is probably sky high I imagine.

Anything that increases someone’s understanding of trucks who doesn’t drive can only be a good thing, whilst they also get the thrill of a taste of driving something that big.

Peter Smythe:
We regularly donate a “ride in a juggernaut” for charity fundraising events. Many folks thoroughly enjoy the experience of being driven in an artic for an hour or so - and have paid well into three figures into the bargain!

It always serves as an eye opener and I’m happy that there is one more person who has some understanding of how an artic works and how much room it needs.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

I wish every driver had to be taken out in a truck so they can see first hand the room a truck needs and why we have to swing out wide and why we position ourselves like we do at junctions sometimes. Then maybe more people would think hang on I better give him soon room or hold back for a moment.

I don’t say might is right but I was taught to always give way to a larger vehicle than yourself as they need more room or more time to get going etc.

We should petition it for law that you have to give way to a larger vehicle regardless, it could catch on lol

Imagine the rigid drivers frustrated that the artic drivers have priority. Or the puddle jumpers that have to give way to the C vehicles. Lol

Not sure where buses and coaches would come into this scheme though. Lol

simcor:
I don’t say might is right but I was taught to always give way to a larger vehicle than yourself as they need more room or more time to get going etc.

We should petition it for law that you have to give way to a larger vehicle regardless, it could catch on lol

Imagine the rigid drivers frustrated that the artic drivers have priority. Or the puddle jumpers that have to give way to the C vehicles. Lol

As I’ve said before on other threads, that’s how it works in Maritime law; can you imagine a large oil tanker having to give way to a dinghy?

albion:

simcor:

As I’ve said before on other threads, that’s how it works in Maritime law; can you imagine a large oil tanker having to give way to a dinghy?

Very true, if it’s good enough on the water then it’s good enough on the roads for me.

Thats Peter

he makes a lot of dreams come true , Chris trained me and is the most patient guy on the planet just dont let him hold a pencil whilst hes training u :wink:

PSTT are not just there to make money they really want people to pass and go the extra mile , ive said it before and will say it again you will not find a better company to do your training with , they make you a driver not just someone who has passed a test !!!

so glad your mum enjoyed her experience and congrats to her and your dad , just had my 20th wedding anniversary we deserve a medal lol, tell her will give a wave on her first driving job :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ■■

Thanks for the comment.