Just for Bants

Got my Class 1 when I was 26, (12 years ago) and had no commercial driving experience. The only Agency that signed me up decided to put me on a 7.5T at first to gain a bit of tacho experience and driving knowledge. I turned up at a plastic cup factory in Skem and picked up my steed with 7 pallets for Halifax and a Google image map that was as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
Off I set to Halifax, Billy big Bollox Class 1 Driver in a little 7.5T. I ended up getting lost in Halifax and turning a tight left at traffic lights, (by now I was stressed out and sweating) and unbeknownst to me the tail swing hit a car on my offside. I drove up the road with a car flashing for me to pull over. I did and an old couple told me what I’d done. The whole side of the car and the n/s mirror off! I felt sick to my stomach and apologised profusely, the old lady even asked me was I ok I looked so sick and gutted. All I was thinking was, ‘First day and my career is down the pan. No one will look at me now.’
Turns out the Agency were sound and told me basically, ■■■■ happens. I had the weekend off then they had me on another job then double manning an Artic then I was away on my own.
It was a Hell of a learning curve and brought me to Earth with a bang. Just cos I had the licence didn’t mean I was a Driver. If I tell the story in the Drivers room I can raise a few laughs at work but it wasn’t funny at the time!