First lesson with Twinway

Bloody hell, that was tiring!

Thought I had a good idea of what to expect but boy was I wrong!

I thought I planned ahead, checked my mirrors and had good road position. Not in a truck I dont!

I’ve learned loads though and I’m Iooking forward to tomorrow.

stevezx7r:

I thought I planned ahead, checked my mirrors and had good road position. Not in a truck I dont!

Half or full day :question:

ROG:

stevezx7r:

Half or full day :question:

Try 13 hours of it

What was u driving, was it a lesson or first day at work??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
What was u driving, was it a lesson or first day at work??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the heading of the post.It says 1st lesson…So i guess it was exactly that

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Can’t remember what the truck was. It was 10.5 metres long, 13 foot hight, 2.5 metres wide MAN in auto box set up. Got back, had tea then promptly fell asleep lol! Guess my lazy self isn’t used to this learning mlarky.

13 hours of LGV training in one day !!! - never known a LGV training school do that

13 hours? Nah, that would have ended me lol! It was 12.30 till 4.30. Same again today then an early start on Thursday then back to 12.30 to 4.30 on Friday. Weekend off but I’ll be driving the test routes in my car instead. Test on Monday late morning.

stevezx7r:
13 hours? Nah, that would have ended me lol! It was 12.30 till 4.30. Same again today then an early start on Thursday then back to 12.30 to 4.30 on Friday. Weekend off but I’ll be driving the test routes in my car instead. Test on Monday late morning.

Half day

I do wonder how trainees cope with full days doing 1 to 1 when many seem to be brain fried after 4 hours …

My training consisted of 3 days 9-4, I must admit I struggled with concentration on the Monday afternoon, but by Wednesday I was all fine

Today was a bit of a mare. Kept speeding all the time which is peeing me off. My instructor, Dan, took me though a few tight turns where I needed to keep either the nearside or off side tyre on the line depending on the direction but I struggled to keep the truck where he wanted it. Did several other blunders too. The daft thing is I actually DO think I’m a decent driver in the car (don’t we all) but this is seriously getting to me just how often I’m missing obvious things like reading the road up ahead as I’m totally concentrating on trying to use my left mirror etc.

On the plus side I’m finding the reverse straight forward.

I did say at one point, at my current rate of learning I’m not sure I’ll be ready for test day (next Monday).

Hey ho, tomorrow’s another day.

stevezx7r:
On the plus side I’m finding the reverse straight forward.

I did say at one point, at my current rate of learning I’m not sure I’ll be ready for test day

Solution = do the whole test in reverse :bulb: :wink: :laughing:

If only it were that simple lol!

We have all had a duff day when training. Mine was day 3.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Day three done. Did about an hour on reversing to start with 'till I got that nailed. Then onto some A’s towns and duals. A few minor errors but a lot better than yesterday. Then, the back roads. Just about sorted my positioning but still a long way off. Forgetting simple things like checking passing vehicles and coming up to lower speed limits/roundabouts to quickly. Still not figured out why I’m driving a like a tool when I don’t in the car but what can I do?

I’ve put the feelers out for a possible extra lesson this weekend if I don’t look like I’m going to pass on Monday.

This truck driving is bliddy hard!

stevezx7r:
Still not figured out why I’m driving a like a tool when I don’t in the car but what can I do?

Because your brain is distracted from ‘driving’ whilst trying to get used to a different type of vehicle

Sounds about right.

I’ve just been out in the car re-doing the various routes - driving as if I were in a truck. I’m getting there, just thought it would be quicker and easier than this.

And to think that some drivers are on minimum wage, or less, driving these.

On the way back a woman driver with a child seat in the back (I can only assume she had a kid with her too), decided to overtake me over solid whites with oncoming traffic. It’s not like I was going slow as I was at exactly 60. Then some bloke decided to overtake me on a blind right hand bend. I normally don’t see this kind of driving as I usually accelerate quickly up to the speed limit but as I was trying to emulate being a truck I accelerated slower - not lawn mower speed, but, you know. This seems to pee people off for some reason :wink:

So far, one major lesson I have learned is that car drivers should be made to take at least one “eye opener” lesson in a truck. See how they drive then.

stevezx7r:
Sounds about right.

I’ve just been out in the car re-doing the various routes - driving as if I were in a truck. I’m getting there, just thought it would be quicker and easier than this.

And to think that some drivers are on minimum wage, or less, driving these.

On the way back a woman driver with a child seat in the back (I can only assume she had a kid with her too), decided to overtake me over solid whites with oncoming traffic. It’s not like I was going slow as I was at exactly 60. Then some bloke decided to overtake me on a blind right hand bend. I normally don’t see this kind of driving as I usually accelerate quickly up to the speed limit but as I was trying to emulate being a truck I accelerated slower - not lawn mower speed, but, you know. This seems to pee people off for some reason :wink:

So far, one major lesson I have learned is that car drivers should be made to take at least one “eye opener” lesson in a truck. See how they drive then.

It would make no difference to their driving because they DO NOT WANT TO BE BEHIND A LORRY … EVER

Haha, yeah, who does?

Day 4. I’m making progress now. Getting to grips with the dimensions of the truck so less wandering about. Still not good enough in reading the road ahead/signs but it’s coming. Had a good first 1/3 of the day then on a long stretch of 50 mph I totally zoned out, stopped concentrating and messed up a couple of junctions. This had a knock on effect for a few minutes as I reverted back to my earlier self.

Picked up the pieces and carried on. Drove decent for the most part but still not test pass material yet. I’ve arranged with Dan, my instructor at Twinway, to have another couple of hours on Sunday before my test on Monday. Hopefully that should iron out any issues with my driving but only I can start looking ahead and planning more.

Even with the few mistakes I made today I do feel a whole lot more confident and in control of the vehicle.