Are there any jobs that aren't bloody agency?

Getting sick of 4am starts, being shunted anywhere in the Southwest for 8.50 just to get moaned at all day - so thought I’d look for a proper job - but it’s all agencies. Have tried a few companies direct but they don’t seem interested.

Is there a magic trick I’m missing? Or do I have to go work in Asda while I get my Class 1 - there’s absolutely ■■■■ all in Class 2 unless you want to do multidrop ■■■■■ for just above minimum wage.

Seems to be the same all over the UK - loads of agency jobs but very few full time perm jobs by companies

So much for a so called driver shortage !

Trouble I have is that I’m class 2, and everything is in class 1. Don’t have a specific problem with rigids, but it’s all local multidrop down single-track-back-lane ■■■■■■■■. I quit DPD for a reason lol.

iomex:
Trouble I have is that I’m class 2, and everything is in class 1. Don’t have a specific problem with rigids, but it’s all local multidrop down single-track-back-lane ■■■■■■■■. I quit DPD for a reason lol.

That’s the nature of many C jobs

Solution = get CE :bulb: :question:

Rigid work is crap, same everywhere mate. Ce is better. Agencies have all the work now, you will be very lucky to land a full time job that’s not agency to begin with. As for the 4am starts, have you considered working nights?

Yeh tbh nighttime driving is what I prefer anyway - currently looking around for stuff like that. Found something with MCI logistics, so will give them a call today.

iomex:
Getting sick of 4am starts, being shunted anywhere in the Southwest for 8.50 just to get moaned at all day - so thought I’d look for a proper job - but it’s all agencies. Have tried a few companies direct but they don’t seem interested.

Is there a magic trick I’m missing? Or do I have to go work in Asda while I get my Class 1 - there’s absolutely [zb] all in Class 2 unless you want to do multidrop [zb] for just above minimum wage.

Tell us where you’re based somebody might know of an opening.

I’m looking for nights, getting up in the morning is not my forte :slight_smile:

That would be useful, wouldn’t it? Haha. I’m based in Torquay, and am not fussed about commute length as long as it’s not a ■■■■■■■■ like Bristol or something.

iomex:
That would be useful, wouldn’t it? Haha. I’m based in Torquay, and am not fussed about commute length as long as it’s not a ■■■■■■■■ like Bristol or something.

Bristol is where there’s loads of work though !!

Wouldn’t say no to the right job as I want to move further north. But tbh I’m not spending 4 hours a day driving to/from work for a foodservice job at £8/hr, so depends if there’s something juicy I guess.

Maybe a tramping gig in avonmouth while you decide on whether you want to move? I don’t know what the solution is for you, I know there is a lot of work in the Bristol area.

I’m working days ATM, it’s not working out well for me, I’ve been on 3 day weeks for over a month. The last night gig I had was at vow in Lutterworth delivering stationary products to print shops. Start at 00:30, done by around 9. I loved the hours but didn’t like the 27 mile commute each way every day, and the 8 quid an hour for driving a puddle jumper didn’t help either. It just wasn’t worth my time and petrol doing the job otherwise I would have stayed. Then I got a night trunk job in my local town at 11 quid an hour which I loved, but alas that was only for one day. Drivers were queuing up for that gig.

So I hear what you’re saying about not wanting a long commute. We do this job for the money, so it’s got to be worth your while doing it. You’re really in a ghost town for work, I hope something turns up soon for you.

Also, give some thought to the practicalities. Hour and a half commute is an extra 3 hours on your day, so if you do a 15 hour shift that means in real terms 18 hours. That leaves you 6 hours to eat, sleep and see family. Are you prepared to do that all week?

You need your class 1, end of…

Already had my class 2, but job wise, there was nowt out there, except for crap agency multi drop work as usual. Been there - done that so went and got my class 1…

And 2 weeks into my new - NON AGENCY job - even as a newbie, I’m loving it!

It’s paying off too…

1, it’s been a serious pay increase.

And 2, more time off per week, (4 on 4 off).

And if you did tramping, you only travel to and from work once - not daily, so distance becomes less of an issue possibly?

Oh, and 3, it’s MUCH easier!!! (IMO anyway…)

Yeah I definitely want to get my Class 1 ASAP, but same thing as always, money. Bit of a trap as I’m barely taking £300/week with this agency. Last week I was on a short city route with a codriver so was flying through it in a matter of hours, so my pay for last week will be even worse haha.

I don’t have a family so not really too fussed about home time, but I’ve learned from my last 2 jobs, it’s easy to get stressed out if you spend your life working, so would rather avoid that - although commuting rather than the time working isn’t so bad as you can blast some music and chill out for a bit.

I’ll see how it goes with MCI, if they don’t seem interested I’ll look at Avonmouth. My car uses sod all diesel, so it’s just the time really.

Maybe tramping is something you could look into? Harder to find on class 2 granted, but if you’re willing to do it, what’s the harm in a long commute, you only have to do it once a week. And you may get lucky and find somewhere willing to upgrade you at their expense.

jbaz73:
I’m looking for nights, getting up in the morning is not my forte :slight_smile:

Cat C work in your area would be K’s or Gregory’s doing the paper run

nick2008:

jbaz73:

I’ll give em a try, thanks for that :slight_smile: I’m really looking more for ce tho. I want trunking, one hit, trailer swap and back. On the run up to Xmas there should be loads of work, it’s just not showing up yet tho.

jbaz73:

nick2008:

jbaz73:

I’ll give em a try, thanks for that :slight_smile: I’m really looking more for ce tho. I want trunking, one hit, trailer swap and back. On the run up to Xmas there should be loads of work, it’s just not showing up yet tho.

Surely the “extra” Christmas work will be agency? I would be careful to make sure have something in January as well as the lead up. I saw a lot of experienced guys posting at the start of the year that there wasn’t much work around

jbaz73:

I dont mind mornings. I just wish they arrived later in the day