Fire extinguisher not in cab

All the trucks I have driven so far in various jobs have had a fire extinguisher in the cab or at least somewhere on the truck.

Started at a new place delivering clothes mainly and there is not an extinguisher in the cab.

I had noticed while doing the walk around check and went to the office and was told they had never had one on any of their trucks.

They were quite surprised by a few things I had found lacking on their trucks.

There was no roll of paper towels to clean windows - took 30 miles for the mirrors to heat up and clear. (Again the office had said they had never had any).

How did they expect the drivers to check for oil then? What would you use to wipe the dipstick?

I couldnt see a speed limiter sticker. Isnt it supposed to be legal to have one?

Or a operators licence in the window?

note to self…must try harder. :unamused:

Hi

It’s not a legal requirement to carry a fire extinguisher unless carrying dangerous goods. Clearly it makes a lot of sense though.

As for paper, I’ve always supplied my own.

O licence disc must be displayed UNLESS the vehicle is on short term hire in which case it’s fine for max 28 days. Same applies to any recently acquired vehicle.

Speed limiter setting must be displayed within view of the driver when seated normally. But this can be as simple as a piece of paper with the max speed on it. It doesn’t have to be an “official” plate.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Oh joy we have another mot tester driver. kitchen roll around 4 for £1.20p if it bothers you that much a small fire extinguisher is under £20 from Halfords and you’ll be able to sleep at night

billythewhizz:
All the trucks I have driven so far in various jobs have had a fire extinguisher in the cab or at least somewhere on the truck.

Started at a new place delivering clothes mainly and there is not an extinguisher in the cab.

I had noticed while doing the walk around check and went to the office and was told they had never had one on any of their trucks.

There was no roll of paper towels to clean windows - took 30 miles for the mirrors to heat up and clear. (Again the office had said they had never had any).

How did they expect the drivers to check for oil then? What would you use to wipe the dipstick?

I couldnt see a speed limiter sticker. Isnt it supposed to be legal to have one?

Peter has given you an excellent answer, but I’d suggest that there’s a world of difference between company policy and a (proper) legal requirement.

I’ll stick with the fire extinguisher… there is no legal requirement in the UK for a vehicle to be carrying a fire extinguisher.

However, some companies want their trucks to be equipped with a fire extinguisher as a company requirement (= company policy.)
Whilst not a legal requirement to carry a fire extinguisher, it’s equally not an offence if you do carry one.

If carrying dangerous goods (in certain circumstances) sometimes a fire extinguisher isn’t needed, so even that isn’t a hard and fast requirement.

Peter Smythe:
Hi

It’s not a legal requirement to carry a fire extinguisher unless carrying dangerous goods. Clearly it makes a lot of sense though. Understood.

As for paper, I’ve always supplied my own.I just have taken it as normal having one in the cab so thought at least there would have been something for drivers to use. Now I will start carrying some.

O licence disc must be displayed UNLESS the vehicle is on short term hire in which case it’s fine for max 28 days. Same applies to any recently acquired vehicle. I do believe I remember the TM saying the truck was hired.

Speed limiter setting must be displayed within view of the driver when seated normally. But this can be as simple as a piece of paper with the max speed on it. It doesn’t have to be an “official” plate. Couldnt see that anywhere. If there was nothing there what would the proper procedure be then. Refuse to take the truck out?

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As always Pete your responses are very welcome

dieseldave:

billythewhizz:

Peter has given you an excellent answer, but I’d suggest that there’s a world of difference between company policy and a (proper) legal requirement.

I’ll stick with the fire extinguisher… there is no legal requirement in the UK for a vehicle to be carrying a fire extinguisher.

However, some companies want their trucks to be equipped with a fire extinguisher as a company requirement (= company policy.)
Whilst not a legal requirement to carry a fire extinguisher, it’s equally not an offence if you do carry one.

If carrying dangerous goods (in certain circumstances) sometimes a fire extinguisher isn’t needed, so even that isn’t a hard and fast requirement.

Thanks dieseldave. All understood and clear now. Thanks for replying.

alix776:
Oh joy we have another mot tester driver. kitchen roll around 4 for £1.20p if it bothers you that much a small fire extinguisher is under £20 from Halfords and you’ll be able to sleep at night

Am hardly going to say to the TM at 430am in the morning - Sorry I am just going to pop to the shop and buy a kitchen roll and a fire extinguisher. It seems I have been spoilt where I have worked in the past and some companies obviously are looking out for their drivers by providing needed equipment and supplies. As I am still classed as a newbie I have to learn these things so asking on here is a learning curve.

There are 3 things guaranteed in life. Death, taxes and getting silly answers on here, pmpl.

Tesco is usually open just after midnight on a Monday for nipping in before work you would be able to get these items hope this helps

Speed limiter setting must be displayed within view of the driver when seated normally. But this can be as simple as a piece of paper with the max speed on it. It doesn’t have to be an “official” plate. Couldnt see that anywhere. If there was nothing there what would the proper procedure be then. Refuse to take the truck out?

Personally I wouldn’t refuse it. It’s very simple. The first time you get on a motorway you’ll find out what the setting is. Make a little sticker of some sort and get it stuck on. Sorted. I would record it as a defect before the journey.

Your mindset is slowly changing in the right direction; with this job you will often have to sort yourself out a bit. But this does not excuse the operator from keeping vehicles in the condition they should be.

Hope this helps and that you’ve got your kitchen roll handy! (I always used to carry loo roll but we wont go there!!!)

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was more annoyed recently at getting a truck at 230am with next to no fuel and a shell only fuel card. Then have the joy of trying to find a close by she’ll garage open at 230am and the nearest motorway servs were BP!

All part of the fun!

Peter Smythe:

Personally I wouldn’t refuse it. It’s very simple. The first time you get on a motorway you’ll find out what the setting is. Make a little sticker of some sort and get it stuck on. Sorted. I would record it as a defect before the journey. Would the defect sheet/book have to been signed off before leaving?

Your mindset is slowly changing in the right direction; with this job you will often have to sort yourself out a bit. But this does not excuse the operator from keeping vehicles in the condition they should be. Think I am going to need a bigger bag to carry all this stuff in, lol.

Hope this helps and that you’ve got your kitchen roll handy! (I always used to carry loo roll but we wont go there!!!)

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Another item i will def have to take with me - loo roll.

Thanks Peter

Baby wipes a must cleans all even 5th wheel grease

alix776:
Tesco is usually open just after midnight on a Monday for nipping in before work you would be able to get these items hope this helps

Not the one near me!!
That one opens at 06:00 and 24 hours the rest of the week :imp:

If you do buy your own fire extinguisher make sure you have it checked regular so it stays in date

I have never carried one have had them in cab before mind

If vehicle catches fire, grab ya coat, wallet and phone (to take photos) phone the trumptons, stand back, let it burn its insured,

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I had just assumed that having had a fire extinguisher in every cab so far that it was compulsory.

Have seen some mentioned on walk around check sheets.

Havent carried anything dangerous as such so maybe it was just company policy.

I wasnt sure if the TM was trying to fool me when he said they werent needed so checked on here.

Now I know.

Would prefer one in the cab but am not going to go out and buy one.