Surprise surprise.... another wannabe.... with greying hair!

As a kid I always wanted to drive a ‘juggernaut’, but my old man was dead set against it. At school I was pushed into academic subjects (at which I didn’t do very well… hands on, me). So, I’ve bummed around the jobs market for quite a few years and not done too badly for myself having had 10 jobs including my current one as a yard foreman at Dainton Portable Buildings in Heathfield, Newton abbot, where I drive a dainty 10 tonne forklift amongst other things… Approaching 52 years of age and I’m now thinking of driving for a living, a ‘juggernaut’! :laughing:

I would appreciate any helpful comments (funny ones also…) as to whether or not this would be a good thing to do at my age, because I ain’t getting any younger, I still fancy it and think it would be a good move for me, to finish my career on a high (the old man is long gone now so he’ll never know…) :smiling_imp:

I know there will be a lot to learn but I think I could manage it, especially if I could get some feedback about what I could expect to achieve, once I (hopefully) get qualified :slight_smile:

For instance, are there many prospective employers in my area (Newton Abbot) that would take newly qualified drivers?

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

If you’ve got the money to learn why not anyway? Then since you’re already working you can afford to take some time to find a driving job.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Gregory distribution ltd pay Lgv training of all classes, Adr dangerous goods, and the DCPC.

They say you only live once, so if you have always wanted to do it then go on why not !! :wink: :wink:

put another tick on your bucket list !! :grimacing:

IronEddie:
If you’ve got the money to learn why not anyway? Then since you’re already working you can afford to take some time to find a driving job.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

the ‘why not learn anyway’ is good in principle… if I’m going to do it then it will be my last change of job, but would like to know what to expect as an ‘older’ person entering this kind of work… and thanks for the reply, it is appreciated :slight_smile:

toby1234abc:
Gregory distribution ltd pay Lgv training of all classes, Adr dangerous goods, and the DCPC.

cheers fella, good to know!

Tooz:
They say you only live once, so if you have always wanted to do it then go on why not !! :wink: :wink:

positive response there, should just grab the bull by the horns and say ‘[zb] it’… bucket list has lots on it and I’m not getting any younger :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Don’t think you’ll have that much in the way of work options within newton abbot mate, might have to commute a bit to places like exeter, torquay, paignton etc. but on the plus side, the smaller the town the less amount of drivers you have to compete with regarding jobs. At 52, it’s not that old unless you feel it, if you’re in good general health and have a good work ethic then shouldn’t be a problem. I’m 56 myself and currently doing a mix of class 2 driving and warehouse work, some of which is hard work but I tend to have the ‘can do’ attitude, if you have that, you’re on the right road (a pun there lol).

Fowlers have a place on Heathfield, they used to take on newbies. Vallance used to be on Heathfield too, multidrop pallets but relatively easy work. Why not pop in to see them and have a chat and see if they still do take newbies, find out what the pay is etc. Unless you can find a company that will pay for your training (fowlers possibly) you will probably be looking at 3k plus to get to play with the “juggernauts” :smiley:

As for what to expect, have a browse of the forum, the opinions on trucknet seem to vary from “its the worst job in the world, I wouldn’t treat a dog like this” to “best job I ever had, wish I’d started sooner”

Good luck mate. Don’t forget your spare ■■■■ bag and Werther’s originals.

the most important thing for you to know will be to work out what age you would be when you were on active service to pass the time in rdc waiting rooms and the like.your too young for nam…were you on the old herald as a passenger?..you will need to know if you could have ben a falkland vet,iraq,or anything in between so you can make up spontanious pishy stories when trapped in the confines of the drivers waiting area…things like this are vital if your going to survive the verbal onslaught… :smiley:

dieseldog999:
the most important thing for you to know will be to work out what age you would be when you were on active service to pass the time in rdc waiting rooms and the like.your too young for nam…were you on the old herald as a passenger?..you will need to know if you could have ben a falkland vet,iraq,or anything in between so you can make up spontanious pishy stories when trapped in the confines of the drivers waiting area…things like this are vital if your going to survive the verbal onslaught… :smiley:

+1. Talking absolute ■■■■■■■■ is a must in order to progress in this game. If you only do Class 2, make sure you lie to folk and tell them you are Class 1 and you are only driving the driving the rigid to do your boss a favour :wink:

thejollysinker:

Tooz:

positive response there, should just grab the bull by the horns and say ‘[zb] it’… bucket list has lots on it and I’m not getting any younger :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yes but it is a very expensive tick ! :stuck_out_tongue:

you need to weigh up the pro’s and con’s as i am sure there are other ticks you can spend your money on :wink:

i always wanted my motorcycle licence and i waited until i was 36 before getting it…i only lasted 2 years before giving it up as there are far too many maniacs on the road but hey at least i can say i did it ! :grimacing:

I wouldn’t say anyone is too old to do anything they want to do.
However and here it comes, being over 50 can and does often present issues for someone looking for a new job in general. I’ve known people in their 50’s getting turned down for job after job.

Its a lot of money to shell out at your age, when the reality is most of the jobs willing to take a new pass will likely be hard graft type jobs that are more suited to a younger person. I have no idea how physically fit you are as a person but it may be a shock to the system if you end up having to do that kind of work.

Having said all that if that’s what you want to do then it’s your choice but beware of possible pitfalls.

thanks very much for all the replies, helpful, informative and funny :laughing:

given me lots to think about for now… all I know is that I can’t do my current job until I retire coz it will kill me :neutral_face:

Got a weeks holiday coming up so hopefully plenty of time for more research and thinking :smiley:

Vallance always have agency staff in there, you have to pick your own load from the warehouse but it’s not too bad once you get your head round it. They’re pretty decent in there, laid back, don’t have electronic tracking, just a nokia and a list of postcodes - they always have agency staff in there so there’s probably work.

Wouldn’t bother with Gregory or Kay as apparently they’re super ■■■■ about who they let drive their wagons, and I wouldn’t touch MJ Baker with a 10-foot pole. Did a day there once, by 9am I was considering throwing the wagon back at them. They sacked half their staff for allegedly nicking stuff, so have got bare minimum agency cover in there right now who they overwork, although they’re decent enough people.

Antalis rely on agency staff, but aren’t hiring. Wouldn’t recommend going on the agency they use as they’ve just had 2 drivers leave and I’m about to leave. If they do happen to be hiring, it’s good work - loads of driving, usually at least 20 minutes between stops. Quite physical with 700-1200kg pallets, but it’s all clean loads going to regular customers (mainly) on trading estates, and they keep you on the easy routes to start off with, very little back lane driving as well. Tiny warehouse, as well, so it’s quite easy to get into.

There’s not much else going on in the way of driving at Heathfield as it’s the likes of QMS etc who need supplemental licenses like CSCS cards. No idea what the score is at Hottot’s round the corner, but I’ve only ever seen artics. There’s a fencing company on their site who they have an agency bod in once in a while but I don’t think they’re hiring and you’d need a HIAB for them anyway.

If you don’t mind being out in the cold and wet in winter, CCS in Exeter are good people. Nice new depot up at Exeter, they deliver building supplies, no HIAB, they use moffats but as you go to sites anyway so you only need that if the forkie is on his break. It’s easy work apart from the weather. Wouldn’t recommend Jewson’s as you have to pick your load and get loaded up three times a day and they only have one curtainsider at Newton Abbot, and there’s not much driving, either, lots of stopping/starting/loading/unloading.

In reality, you’d probably have to start with an agency, but you could just be cheeky and ask for a job at each place you go to. Have had several people offering me work since I started on agency. Will just say to not accept a job offer unless you really know what the job involves.

iomex:
Vallance always have agency staff in there, you have to pick your own load from the warehouse but it’s not too bad once you get your head round it. They’re pretty decent in there, laid back, don’t have electronic tracking, just a nokia and a list of postcodes - they always have agency staff in there so there’s probably work.

Wouldn’t bother with Gregory or Kay as apparently they’re super ■■■■ about who they let drive their wagons, and I wouldn’t touch MJ Baker with a 10-foot pole. Did a day there once, by 9am I was considering throwing the wagon back at them. They sacked half their staff for allegedly nicking stuff, so have got bare minimum agency cover in there right now who they overwork, although they’re decent enough people.

Antalis rely on agency staff, but aren’t hiring. Wouldn’t recommend going on the agency they use as they’ve just had 2 drivers leave and I’m about to leave. If they do happen to be hiring, it’s good work - loads of driving, usually at least 20 minutes between stops. Quite physical with 700-1200kg pallets, but it’s all clean loads going to regular customers (mainly) on trading estates, and they keep you on the easy routes to start off with, very little back lane driving as well. Tiny warehouse, as well, so it’s quite easy to get into.

There’s not much else going on in the way of driving at Heathfield as it’s the likes of QMS etc who need supplemental licenses like CSCS cards. No idea what the score is at Hottot’s round the corner, but I’ve only ever seen artics. There’s a fencing company on their site who they have an agency bod in once in a while but I don’t think they’re hiring and you’d need a HIAB for them anyway.

If you don’t mind being out in the cold and wet in winter, CCS in Exeter are good people. Nice new depot up at Exeter, they deliver building supplies, no HIAB, they use moffats but as you go to sites anyway so you only need that if the forkie is on his break. It’s easy work apart from the weather. Wouldn’t recommend Jewson’s as you have to pick your load and get loaded up three times a day and they only have one curtainsider at Newton Abbot, and there’s not much driving, either, lots of stopping/starting/loading/unloading.

In reality, you’d probably have to start with an agency, but you could just be cheeky and ask for a job at each place you go to. Have had several people offering me work since I started on agency. Will just say to not accept a job offer unless you really know what the job involves.

that’s very helpful, thanks a lot.

was kinda thinking agency work might be a starting place and it’s good to know that a few companies will take newbies on…

Don’t take the first agency you come across. The pay between them, between their temporary and full time positions is quite large. I’m paid a paltry £8.50/hr, but with the same agency, they’re offering £11/hr for a full time job.

iomex:
Don’t take the first agency you come across. The pay between them, between their temporary and full time positions is quite large. I’m paid a paltry £8.50/hr, but with the same agency, they’re offering £11/hr for a full time job.

Not being funny mate, but WTF are you doing driving trucks for £8.50 per hour? :neutral_face:

I’m not. Well… anymore.

Was still ■■■■ hot compared to taxi driving at like £4/hr, mind.