Quite amused by others driving

So in deciding to get an hgv licence I guess I’ve been thinking about my own driving and trying to just tighten it up.

One thing is sticking to speed limits. I tend to have a heavy right foot. So I’ve been conscious of that.

However I’m finding it hilarious how many other drivers are right up my arse, overtaking me in 30 limit pedestrian/residential streets. Some people really seem to need to be somewhere. The really dumb thing is getting overtaken by some idiot who speeds off only to meet me again at the next set of lights. They’re not getting anywhere any faster than me.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:
So in deciding to get an hgv licence I guess I’ve been thinking about my own driving and trying to just tighten it up.

One thing is sticking to speed limits. I tend to have a heavy right foot. So I’ve been conscious of that.

However I’m finding it hilarious how many other drivers are right up my arse, overtaking me in 30 limit pedestrian/residential streets. Some people really seem to need to be somewhere. The really dumb thing is getting overtaken by some idiot who speeds off only to meet me again at the next set of lights. They’re not getting anywhere any faster than me.

I get that all the time.

Those that do LGV and advanced driving courses/tests tend to be more aware of what others are doing

That situation will not change until we get compulsory driving assessments (not tests) for everyone every so many years - it may not improve their driving but it will make them think about it more

My wife had someone undertake her on the pavement once. :open_mouth:

bald bloke:

Seriously? That’s just dangerous.

IronEddie:

bald bloke:

All happened at a low speed but still !!

bald bloke:

IronEddie:

bald bloke:

All happened at a low speed but still !!

It’s the mindset of someone thinking that’s OK that worries me most.

IronEddie:

If there was a common sense test for driving then I bet that would halve the traffic on our roads :exclamation:

ROG:

IronEddie:

If there was a common sense test for driving then I bet that would halve the traffic on our roads :exclamation:

Haha almost certainly. I agree with your comment about regular assessments for all drivers. I’ve thought all licence holders should have to do refresher courses and some kind of test, maybe every decade. We all pick up bad habits, I’m sure it’d improve safety.

bald bloke:

That sort of happened to me once, he tried to mount the kerb at speed and blew his front tyres!
I stuck around and rejoiced when the old bill took him away for a list of broken laws, included drink driving and driving whilst disqualified!

And this was at 10am near enough outside a school!

Some people seriously scare me.

If everyone drove sensibly didn’t take risks and didnt act the ■■■ on the road this forum wouldn’t be half the fun it is sometimes lol.

IronEddie:

I reckon you are overthinking things here a little. Yes it good to develop a greater awareness of your driving but unless you were constantly on the verge of picking up points before, I don’t see that there should be any real need to significantly alter the way you drive a car, just because you are going to start training for an HGV licence. Rigidly sticking to every speed limit maybe a good thing to try out for a week or two…(and I am not going to engage with anyone who wants to debate the right and wrongs of breaking the speed limit -yes of course speeding is always wrong in all circumstances including doing 21mph in 20mph limits on deserted streets at 3 o’clock in the morning :unamused: )

IMHO Driving an HGV is so different that how you happen to drive a car is largely irrelevant . The thing that is relevant is the general UK road experience - i.e. anticipating what other road users are about to do, although that can also change to quite an extent when you are approaching in an HGV.

KTMrider:

IronEddie:

I reckon you are overthinking things here a little. Yes it good to develop a greater awareness of your driving but unless you were constantly on the verge of picking up points before, I don’t see that there should be any real need to significantly alter the way you drive a car, just because you are going to start training for an HGV licence. Rigidly sticking to every speed limit maybe a good thing to try out for a week or two…(and I am not going to engage with anyone who wants to debate the right and wrongs of breaking the speed limit -yes of course speeding is always wrong in all circumstances including doing 21mph in 20mph limits on deserted streets at 3 o’clock in the morning :unamused: )

IMHO Driving an HGV is so different that how you happen to drive a car is largely irrelevant . The thing that is relevant is the general UK road experience - i.e. anticipating what other road users are about to do, although that can also change to quite an extent when you are approaching in an HGV.

Firstly I’ve got 3 points on my licence. And in deciding to take up a career in driving I’ve become a bit more protective of my licence. Not that I was doing 100 mph everywhere before but still. I want to be more careful than I previously have been.

Secondly I guess I’m thinking ahead to practical test. If for hgv it’s anything like the bike and car tests I did then I’d sooner get back into the groove of the standard needed to pass a test. And by thinking about it now it’ll be second nature by the time i take my tests and will perhaps make that easier. That’s my thinking anyway.

IronEddie:
Secondly I guess I’m thinking ahead to practical test. If for hgv it’s anything like the bike and car tests I did then I’d sooner get back into the groove of the standard needed to pass a test. And by thinking about it now it’ll be second nature by the time i take my tests and will perhaps make that easier. That’s my thinking anyway.

Many trainers end up spending a lot of time bringing trainees up to standard before the real training starts so yes that is a very good idea

The examiners conducting LGV tests are very different from those doing car and bike tests because they know they already have a driver to test but then they do expect more from the trainees even though the test is more relaxing

ROG:

IronEddie:

Many trainers end up spending a lot of time bringing trainees up to standard before the real training starts so yes that is a very good idea

The examiners conducting LGV tests are very different from those doing car and bike tests because they know they already have a driver to test but then they do expect more from the trainees even though the test is more relaxing

Thanks. I’ll keep doing what I’m doing then.

not disagreeing with anything you’ve said - let me put it another way.

If you had not changed your car driving behaviour and habitually drove at 35 or 40mph in a 30 limit it really does not follow that the first time you get in an HGV you’ll do the same because :

a) you’ll have an instructor alongside you

and

b) you’ll be in absolute awe of the fact that you are in charge of an HGV on public roads.

In other words you should find that a certain amount of caution comes naturally at first (which will keep you in or around the speed limit anyway).

As far as points go, driving for a living means you are more likely statistically to be caught going over the limit and by red lights etc, everyone no matter how good they think they are makes mistakes.

Spending long hours and driving a lot of miles you are statistically more likely to get points or be involved in an accident. It’s part and parcel of the job to extent.

Although there are the exceptions of people who drive under the limit by 5-10mph everywhere they go and stop at Green lights and then go when they are sure they are going to make it before they change.

Thing with wagons is that most of the time, the limiting factor when it comes to speed and cornering, isn’t the capability of the vehicle, but the stuff you have in the back. If you have twelve bulk paper pallets, you won’t want to go too quick through the bends on A roads as you’ll throw them all over, even if that speed would otherwise be safe and appropriate.

I’m still new, so I’m utterly paranoid about knocking over pallets, and apparently am over-cautious when it comes to speed in corners.

iomex:
Thing with wagons is that most of the time, the limiting factor when it comes to speed and cornering, isn’t the capability of the vehicle, but the stuff you have in the back. If you have twelve bulk paper pallets, you won’t want to go too quick through the bends on A roads as you’ll throw them all over, even if that speed would otherwise be safe and appropriate.

I’m still new, so I’m utterly paranoid about knocking over pallets, and apparently am over-cautious when it comes to speed in corners.

Nothing should go over if you’ve secured it properly. But trust me confidence will come and you’ll know how fast you can go and when.

KTMrider:
not disagreeing with anything you’ve said - let me put it another way.

If you had not changed your car driving behaviour and habitually drove at 35 or 40mph in a 30 limit it really does not follow that the first time you get in an HGV you’ll do the same because :

a) you’ll have an instructor alongside you

and

b) you’ll be in absolute awe of the fact that you are in charge of an HGV on public roads.

In other words you should find that a certain amount of caution comes naturally at first (which will keep you in or around the speed limit anyway).

Fair point.

simcor:
As far as points go, driving for a living means you are more likely statistically to be caught going over the limit and by red lights etc, everyone no matter how good they think they are makes mistakes.

Spending long hours and driving a lot of miles you are statistically more likely to get points or be involved in an accident. It’s part and parcel of the job to extent.

Although there are the exceptions of people who drive under the limit by 5-10mph everywhere they go and stop at Green lights and then go when they are sure they are going to make it before they change.

Yeah I’d assumed what you said to be the case. To my mind that makes it more important I do what I can to prevent it. If only to preserve myself as long as possible.

Plus as a newbie learner with 3 points I don’t want to rack up anymore in case it makes getting a job harder once I’ve passed. The new driver with 6 points or more might not be such an attractive option!