Too old to enter trade at 52?

Am thinking of career change to Class 2/1 driving at 52 yrs old. Would be starting from scratch in terms of this industry though. Am confident of passing the tests but wonder how employable I would be as a newbie aged 52.

Would ideally prefer to be at home most evenings without weekend work too (as all my work experience since age 25 has involved a lot of evening and weekend work) but not sure that that dream job exists in this industry. Any advice would be most welcome.

No not too old, average age of drivers is 50 so your not considered too old, there will be certain jobs you would want to avoid and better left to the younger lads but certainly not too old, I am 57 and have no problem with obtaining work.

I started only a few years younger, mid to late forties, with zero industry experience. I got my Class 2, went straight for Class 1 and got that, then signed up for agency work. I’ve been doing that ever since and it has generally supplied me with enough shifts for my needs. Mind you, it might be necessary to switch agencies or use multiple ones if they can’t/won’t give you regular work. It can also be difficult finding an agency with clients who accept newbies.

Being agency gives maximum flexibility. If you don’t want night work, weekends or tramping just tell them. You make yourself available when you want, not when they say so. The downside is that it can be volatile and you can find yourself idle for too many days in the quiet months (Jan-Apr was bad this year).

Employment is more regular, but trickier to find for a novice driver. Not impossible by any means, just trickier.

Class 2 tends to be more physically demanding as it is more common to find yourself handballing loads. Class 1 can also be demanding, but there are probably more opportunities to avoid any load interaction as many jobs involve putting the truck on a bay and leaving someone else to load/unload.

Be aware that most driving jobs push drivers hard. Yes, there are some ‘soft’ options with 8 hour shifts, but most will be expecting you to do 10-15 hour days quite often. It is also unpredictable, and you might find your day lasts longer than expected due to traffic or poor planning. If the wife asks when you’ll be home, best not answer as she’ll probably be disappointed.

Go into driving because you love it. Don’t do it for anything other than love,and certainly not money.

why wouldnt you be suitable…get your licence…start with any of the steering wheel plobberjob type companies,and itl be a boring doddle…if your new and agency,then obviously do your best,but wreck anything you like,and walk away if theres any greif…theres masses of agencies,and masses of jobs…once you stop wrecking stuff,then get your toe in the door for decent job.

It wouldn’t matter if you were 64, never too old to start. If you’re question was “am I too unfit to enter the industry?” That’s the question you should ask, lol. If you’re fit enough, go for it :slight_smile: