Will a driving career destroy my back?

Hey guys,

I’ve just signed up but have been lurking for a while and am really grateful for the wealth of information I’ve been able to access on this forum so far.

I’m thinking of taking my C+E training but am worried about the prospect of knackering my back.

I’m a big, top heavy guy with a rugby players build (6’2, 230lbs) and others in my family have suffered bad backs/necks, primarily the taller ones of us. When I hit 30, I found myself continually in mild discomfort from an achey lower back. However, I was fat and weak with terrible posture and spent many evenings sitting on my xbox.

The past five years I’ve hit the gym hard and got rid of my spare tyre, strengthening my core with squats/deadlifts etc. I also ensured that my office chair was properly adjusted and tried to get up every 30 mins, even if just to stretch and sit straight back down again. My fear is that this won’t be possible on the road. Even though you get a bad rep in the office if you’re constantly in the kitchen making coffee, nobody will tell you off for standing up and stretching for 10 seconds or doing the 30 seconds walk to the water cooler and back. However, pulling over to stretch hourly isn’t going to happen in an LGV I fear.

Worryingly, the stats seem to back up my concerns. LGV drivers apparently have 4x the risk of back problems and 52% report back pain. Even the training websites have tips on saving your back and there are many articles about exercises for drivers - apparently, the main issues are vibration and dehydration of the spine due to sitting. I also read that a lot of cabs are uncomfortable due to being converted from left hand drive to right.

However, I’m defo one to overthink things, and I reflect that 50% don’t train like I do. Perhaps I could be in the good half if I watch my posture, keep slim/strong and don’t jump out of the cab etc. It makes me think of plumbers - my friend is in his 50s and believes that many people get the famous bad knees simply because they neglect to wear padding (he has overalls with integrated knee pads). Could driving be the same? I certainly used to notice that many of my colleagues in the office were fat and sedentary and hunched over their computers, just begging for a back problem. Also, many people don’t know how to lift properly - I can deadlift 200kg and understand how to keep my core tight and back straight (I had no back probs when doing crew work with regular heavy lifting).

Sorry for the rambling post. What do you guys think? Am I over worrying, or could this job end my love of the gym - I want both health and relative prosperity, but I’ll work in a gym for peanuts before I allow myself to become a fat miserable blob again lol.

I reflect that the agencies I will likely work for during my first 1-2 years may be less sympathetic than the big corporate companies I’ve worked for as a permanent employee in regard to my ongoing posture etc.

Alternatively, could I do some manner of site work in the long run, where I’m not trunking on motorways for endless hours, or some type of driving with more frequent stops (although everybody seems to hate multi-drop work)?

Cheers guys!

Most modern truck seats fully adjust so there should be no lumbar issues

Cheers for replying man (and sorry about the massive wall of text above - I should’ve done a TL;DR).

I see from your sig that you’ve been in the industry for several decades, Rog. Presumably, you’ve managed to make it out the other side without being crippled (and are still enthusiastic about the industry).

I have suffered from back problems in the past but I’ve found since I’ve started driving for a living my back has never felt better! I sit upright and use the lumbar supports. I don’t slouch like some drivers do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigStu81:
Cheers for replying man (and sorry about the massive wall of text above - I should’ve done a TL;DR).

First post was well written and certainly not a wall of text

Cheers guys, I feel encouraged after reading your replies.

I know I’ve got a lot of hard work ahead of me, but I’m looking forward to it.

It sounds like you’re well on top of looking after yourself, so there’s absolutely no reason for you to become like the commonly held public perception of the grossly unfit fat lorry driver.
From what I read the most common way into the industry now is to do class 2 multi drop work for one of the food supply companies like 3663 or P&H. There’ll be plenty of opportunity to keep fit on that work.
If you ever feel the need to stop and stretch then do so. You’re a human being who shouldn’t be expected to physically suffer doing any job. If the company you’re working for complains then it’s probably about the right time to look for a different one that treats its employees with the proper respect.
And finally, with out wishing to sound like I’m trying to teach Grandma how to ■■■■ eggs, most trucks are fitted with a heated drivers seat, so use it on route to warm up your back muscles before jumping out and doing any graft.

Only if driving a MP4 Actros

blue estate:

Can’t help but agree! I refuse to ever drive one again!
In regards to the original post, there is little reason to allow yourself to get into a position where you suffer with pain due to the job, be aware of your posture whilst driving. Unfortunately I’m in the position of being in constant pain with my back due to previous injuries and find it difficult to find any lorry that allows pure comfort, but as blue estate has pointed out some are worse than others. With Mercedes being the worst by far.

Chunkzilla:

blue estate:

In regards to the original post, there is little reason to allow yourself to get into a position where you suffer with pain due to the job, be aware of your posture whilst driving. Unfortunately I’m in the position of being in constant pain with my back due to previous injuries and find it difficult to find any lorry that allows pure comfort, but as blue estate has pointed out some are worse than others. With Mercedes being the worst by far.

Just to add I drive a rigid but all share the same drivers seat

blue estate:

Chunkzilla:

blue estate:

Just to add I drive a rigid but all share the same drivers seat

I’ve driven them in all guises from 26 tonners to gigaspace units and they truly are the most horrific things to drive, loved the living space, hated sitting in them and driving them.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Was at a friend’s tonight and turns out that one of his fiance’s friends (female) runs a family haulage business. She’s going to introduce me, which can only be a good thing in terms of getting some advice. One of my other mates also works as a tyre warranty claims inspector for Hankook (and previously Conti/Bridgestone too) and is pretty knowledgeable about the industry - his boss used to drive an artic too and has wholeheartedly recommended I give it a shot based on what my mate told him (although obv won’t start with an artic).

It’s looking like I’ve got some potentially good contacts in my area, which can only be a good thing.

I wondered the same as I’ve had spinal fusion at l5/s1. 4 screws, 2 rods and 2 cages. I only drive a truck every other weekend (fridge work) but I’m having no problems at all. I’m driving a 51plate Volvo (so old 4over4) and having no issues whatsoever. The fear with backs after a bad back, is just that…fear! If it’s gonna go on you, it will be when you reach for a pencil. When working and being careful I think you’re pretty safe

The trick is to know your limits. Trying to drag around a 1.5t IBC with a pump truck isn’t going to do you any good. Make sure you approach each lift and push etc in the correct manner and you should be fine. The only reason people get bad backs is because they don’t take care of them!

Cheers guys, I think I was overthinking it.

In a complete twist of irony, I’m currently laid up in bed with a suspected sprain of my SI joint or lower lumbar - I broke my first rule of not lifting while in a bad mood and stupidly jerked the barbell rather than initiating my usual smooth pull.

Don’t I regret it now! :unamused:

Chunkzilla:

blue estate:

Being a fat Bastonian I actually find the Actros rather comfy infact better than the new volvos we have. The seat is wider and has more adjustments than the Volvo.
It’s not just the seat but the access to the catwalk is far better than the Volvo.

A career in driving may help your back. By the time you finish work (if you come home at all) the gym will be long shut and you will be too knackered to train anyway. Problem solved :laughing:

jbaz73:
A career in driving may help your back. By the time you finish work (if you come home at all) the gym will be long shut and you will be too knackered to train anyway. Problem solved :laughing:

One of my work mate’s joined the gym but with ulterior motives :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Who needs the gym for that? The hot summer weather brings with it some stunning views :sunglasses: even being high up stuck in a motorway traffic jam isn’t all bad :smiling_imp: