From zero to long distance

I’m in the process of getting my C license and try to start a career as a truck driver. I have past my theory tests and I’ll do the practical soon. At the moment I work in the hospitality industry so I don’t have driving experience. I’d like to do long distance driving. My questions are:
-Whats the best way to become a long distance driver?
-Is it possible/likely to get a job doing this only with a C license and no experience?
-Do you recommend me to do local jobs first?
-Any other advise?

Thanks!

There is some CAT C long distance work though it does tend to be more common on CE. There is no extra barrier to a new pass driving on long distance. I see no reason to work locally first though you may find it easier to get a start on local as that is where most of the CAT C work is.

Other advice? Be very careful with your choice of trainer. There is still no legal requirement for a truck instructor to be registered, trained or qualified. As a result, the quality of training varies widely.

I suggest you give our office a call 01623 555661. The team are under pressure to reach targets this month so there’s a bit of room for negotiation!

On top of that, you can be sure of top quality customer service and driver training.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, your problem is is that there is a queue of experienced drivers waiting for distance work (me being one of them, lol) having said that, it does exist. I’ve had class 2, 7.5 (last week a run to Wigan and back), I’ve even had Scotland in a combo van for a same day courier. It is there, the best route into it is agency. The vast majority of rigid work is local multi drop :cry:

Well first off, what do perceive as long distance? Covering Europe or the U.K.?
And then there’s the question of what sort of work the companies within the distance you’re willing to commute offer.
If it’s Euro work you’re after then I’d say that you are likely out of luck with regards to rigid work. So it’d be worth obtaining your bendy license and getting some uk experience before heading over the water. Just my 2 cents. I just believe it’s better to know you can walk before trying to run.
Good luck

If you’re taking a bendy over the water, remember that all the depots are going to be optimised for left hookers so you’ll be having to blindside much more often. No driver wants that…

I also wouldn’t fancy the idea of even simply being on the wrong side of the road behind the wheel of one of those things until I had had the chance to get used to them and their strange behaviour first.

Personally I would take it in stages and concentrate on getting the basics done first. Small steps, then big ambitions.

Still, your pair may be much bigger than mine. :slight_smile:

ORC:
If you’re taking a bendy over the water, remember that all the depots are going to be optimised for left hookers so you’ll be having to blindside much more often. No driver wants that…

I also wouldn’t fancy the idea of even simply being on the wrong side of the road behind the wheel of one of those things until I had had the chance to get used to them and their strange behaviour first.

Personally I would take it in stages and concentrate on getting the basics done first. Small steps, then big ambitions.

Still, your pair may be much bigger than mine. :slight_smile:

Wise words mate.

I myself within a few days of passing, ended up in a left ■■■■■■ on U.K. Roads and it was a terrifying experience, put me off the idea of Euro work, even though I still toy with the idea from time to time, I don’t fancy being sat on the wrong side of the truck. No matter which country I might be in.

Thanks for the answers. When I say long distance I mean both UK or Euro. I’ll take your advise and I’ll try to get some experience first. That said, reading how scary driving out of the UK sounds, does that mean it would be easier to get a long distance job that takes you out to Europe?

Benigno:
Thanks for the answers. When I say long distance I mean both UK or Euro. I’ll take your advise and I’ll try to get some experience first. That said, reading how scary driving out of the UK sounds, does that mean it would be easier to get a long distance job that takes you out to Europe?

If distance is goal, and the life of a Euro-trampled is your aim, go to Ireland, plenty firms give you a start €100 a day, A day being 24hrs… :smiley:

As said it depends what you mean by distance, I passed my test last year with Peter Smythe so only good things to say about him & his staff plus it’s one on one training :smiley: Living in Cheshire I knew there was a company nearby that takes new passes and we cover all of the UK mainland rigid or artic. Been with them for a year now and enjoying it (apart from London where you just smile & enter the fun zone :laughing: :laughing: ) Check out local companies to see if they take on new passes and what type of work they do although general haulage is a good way to learn in my opinion.

If you want uk long distance work and you need someone to give you a start as a newbie, why not give stobarts a try?

Tin hat firmly on, I’ll get my coat

jbaz73:
If you want uk long distance work and you need someone to give you a start as a newbie, why not give stobarts a try?

Not seen many cat C Stobarts if any.

wrighty1:

jbaz73:

Not seen many cat C Stobarts if any.

they have a few but mainly in london or on the tesco contracts they do

Best thing to do is start on local multi drop.
I hate it but its great experience and when you finally land a long distance job you will appreciate it; instead of complaining how bored you are.

adam277:
Best thing to do is start on local multi drop.
I hate it but its great experience and when you finally land a long distance job you will appreciate it; instead of complaining how bored you are.

I have never done multi drop yet in 20 years of driving started on small van then up to class 1 most of mine has been long distance all over UK