What are your tips for dealing with first day nerves?

It’s my first day in a new job tomorrow and I’m getting the usual pre first shift wobbles, lol. Any tips? Maybe this thread could help others as well as myself.

The most useful thing I figured out was to keep reminding yourself that others have been there and done it before you, so it must be possible. All you’ve got to do is figure out how, and find the skills from somewhere to get the job done.

You’re not born with the ability, but it has to come from within. There is a first time for everything you do, and that is probably the hardest. This means your early days are going to be chock full of terror, and you risk becoming a nervous wreck.

DON’T PANIC! It can be done, just take your time.

And remember - you can’t hit anything if you STOP. That includes out on the road too…if in doubt, stop and let the others move around you. If they hit you, that’s their fault. You won’t hit them, because you’re stationary so it can’t be your fault.

That’s a brilliant way to think about it OPC …it’s our head that makes a mountain out of a mole Hill!! Good luck with your first day…

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

14 cans of stella :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, all excellent advice! You put some deep thought into that orc, helps a lot :slight_smile: and if all else fails there’s always the Stella :-/

Last week was my first week out on Class 1’s (never drove a Class 2 since test day either) to be honest I was more excited than nervous, im not doing a massive amounts of driving in my job, I clocked up a grand total of 8hrs 26mins of driving time last week. As said about just take it slow, your not going to get marked down for “making progress” now so go at your own pace (within reason).

I did have my first scary moment today in the rain when the trailer had abit of a mind of its own so every day is still a school day and I will take it abit steadier next time the conditions are like that.

I’ve always got really nervous for interviews and new jobs. Best way I’ve found to cope is to stop careing. Which isn’t to say I’m complacent. But I tell myself it doesn’t matter. At the end of the day it’s just a job. The sun is still gonna rise tomorrow. So why stress about it? Reminding myself of that chills me out.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:
14 cans of stella :slight_smile:

Problem with that is the constant toilet breaks as that might draw unwanted attention to you, far better to swig back a bottle of Glenfiddich.

Thanks all for the wise words. I think I’m in the eye of the storm this morning, I feel quite calm and ready for it :slight_smile: I’m driving off road, so that helps a lot. Couldn’t have the Stella unfortunately, I have to do a d&a test before I start

ORS’s post is spot on. I kept telling myself there isn’t anything here that can’t be done. It’s a machine and you’ve done all the manoeuvres before already. Don’t get distracted and don’t talk yourself out of it.

I’ve tied myself up in knots more than once. Good piece of advice I got from an old hand “Straighten her out start again but slower this time”. It’s never failed.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Just remember no one fell out a fanny holding some truck keys wearing cover alls every sneering jobbing old hand you meet at some point even if it was Thirty year ago was given a set of keys for the first time and trumped lumps, everyone’s been there and they all made it, so good luck take a nice deep breath in through the nose out the mouth and say to ya self this is a piece of urine

So how did the first day go then?

IronEddie:
I’ve always got really nervous for interviews and new jobs. Best way I’ve found to cope is to stop careing. Which isn’t to say I’m complacent. But I tell myself it doesn’t matter. At the end of the day it’s just a job. The sun is still gonna rise tomorrow. So why stress about it? Reminding myself of that chills me out.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

That works for me too, makes a big difference

First day, erm… wasn’t too bad I guess! It’s a 32 tonner with a completely buggerd gearbox (saves me the trouble) you have to double clutch to get anywhere!

The first thing I have to do is a tight 90 degree reverse between two iron girders onto a feeder pipe that you have to get into the hopper. Not much room for error! Then you have to take it to the other end of the quarry to another tight reverse onto a loading bay to tip into skips. That’s it really, lather, rinse, repeat :slight_smile: I’ve got the hang of it in one day. Sort your markers out and its not too hard.

I was unfortunate though, the “egg layer” broke down on me on the last run. I waited around for an hour and had to follow the forkie to dump the load :frowning: that was fun! Then I had to get it into a rather tight wash bay in the dark! Fun getting it under a standpipe when you can’t see. Finished about an hour later, I’m knackered! But looking forward to tomorrow :slight_smile:

Make sure you have a ■■■ before leaving is the best advice I’ve got

Think I’m more excited that anything as it’s flown by this past week. Passed theory last week, started Class 2 training on Monday, passed Thursday with a clean sheet, and first job is Sunday 4am on a fridge trunking before moving onto pallets on Monday.

So the real learning starts soon…

Sheffield-Will:
Think I’m more excited that anything as it’s flown by this past week. Passed theory last week, started Class 2 training on Monday, passed Thursday with a clean sheet, and first job is Sunday 4am on a fridge trunking before moving onto pallets on Monday.

:smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

Sheffield-Will:

:smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: Thanks!! Will let you know how I get on. True how the training literally gets you through the test - am having to swat up on how to use the digi tacho, fridge, curtains etc…

Sheffield-Will:

This shows newbies can get jobs quickly too.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Not a bad first day all in all. Arrived at the depot in the early hours and spent the first 10 minutes walking around the massive deserted building before stumbling across the transport office tucked away in the corner. Very helpful person showed me out the vehicle, showed me the fridge controls and gave me written instruction on where I’m going, recommended routes, phone numbers etc.

My first ever route ended up taking an 18t rigid along the Woodhead Pass - thankfully I know already how tricky it is due to doing it on the motorbike a few times which helped.

Got to the other end and pulled up to the loading bay and waited. And waited. Eventually FLT came over but said he wasn’t insured to get on my truck(■■ - RDC, not a customer) so had to use pallet truck to move pallets to the rear to be offloaded. 10 pallets to go back which were easily secured and then off home - 4 hours driving, 7 hours total on the clock.

Different company tomorrow- multi-drops for Palletline.