Out of scope help needed

Good morning fellas, I will keep this as brief as possible so you don’t have to read war and peace.

I’m starting a new job in the next few days. It’s basically driving at the quarry Monday to Friday, all onsite work, the only time I have to drive on the road is on a Friday when I have to take the truck to the petrol station to refuel.

I’m not sure how I need to go on with the tacho tho, it’s the first time I’ve done this kind of work. Do I leave the card out while I’m driving onsite and put it in at the end of the shift and do a manual entry to cover the shift showing other work? Or do I put the card in as normal and do a printout at the end of shift and write on the back that it’s off road? I’m guessing that the first is probably correct, but I could really use your help on this one guys, I want to stay legal.

On days that you don’t go onto public roads you don’t need to use your driver card, in fact you don’t even need to have one, nor do you need to do printouts unless your employer wants one for some reason.

Put the vehicle out of scope and leave it that way all day.

On a VDO tachograph to put the vehicle out of scope:

• With the ignition on press “OK” (this takes you to driver 1 printout)
  • Press the down arrow about 5 times until you get to “Vehicle Entry” then press “OK”
  • The first option is “Vehicle OUT” so press “OK”.

On days that you go onto public roads it’s a bit debatable whether or not you need to use your driver card as you won’t be carrying goods (presumably), however I would play safe and leave the vehicle on out of scope until your ready for the trip to fuel up, then put your card in and do an “Other Work” manual entry for the preceding time.
(That is of course assuming that you fuel up near the end of the shift)

No need to do printouts but each day tear off a bit of printing paper and write on it the start and finish times and your name or driver number then sign it, job done.

On days that you insert your driver card for the refuelling journey (if you do) use the ? symbol for the time since the card was last ejected.

Your new employer has probably looked into the legality of whether or not you need to use your driver card for the fuelling journey so check with him/her :wink:

Thank you tachograph, that clears everything up nicely :slight_smile:

If I do do a manual entry and use the ?, is that selectable like the other modes (other work, poa etc) by pressing the 1 button until ? Comes up. The reason I ask is because I don’t remember seeing it, however I wasn’t looking for it in the past.

I’m guessing the lorry does road work as well and not solely in the quarry?

as if its just in the quarry you could run it on red diesel same as the plant, be much cheaper and you wouldn’t have to worry about your tacho at all!

No,the only time the truck sees the road is to fuel up. It’s not my problem red or white, I just do as I am told :slight_smile:

Yeah orders is orders.

Hope you enjoy it anyway, my uncle did the same thing when he started driving to get experience before getting on the road proper!

tachograph:
On days that you don’t go onto public roads you don’t need to use your driver card, in fact you don’t even need to have one, nor do you need to do printouts unless your employer wants one for some reason.

Put the vehicle out of scope and leave it that way all day.

On a VDO tachograph to put the vehicle out of scope:

• With the ignition on press “OK” (this takes you to driver 1 printout)
  • Press the down arrow about 5 times until you get to “Vehicle Entry” then press “OK”
  • The first option is “Vehicle OUT” so press “OK”.

On days that you go onto public roads it’s a bit debatable whether or not you need to use your driver card as you won’t be carrying goods (presumably), however I would play safe and leave the vehicle on out of scope until your ready for the trip to fuel up, then put your card in and do an “Other Work” manual entry for the preceding time.
(That is of course assuming that you fuel up near the end of the shift)

No need to do printouts but each day tear off a bit of printing paper and write on it the start and finish times and your name or driver number then sign it, job done.

On days that you insert your driver card for the refuelling journey (if you do) use the ? symbol for the time since the card was last ejected.

Your new employer has probably looked into the legality of whether or not you need to use your driver card for the fuelling journey so check with him/her :wink:

Hi just saw this topic and was wandering if this applies to Milk Tanker work? I start new job tomoz and was told at my interview that they run under domestic rules and I will get a log book to complete each day, just checking if I need to put tacho to out of scope, I’ve been told don’t need to insert drivers card. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billywolves9:
Hi just saw this topic and was wandering if this applies to Milk Tanker work? I start new job tomoz and was told at my interview that they run under domestic rules and I will get a log book to complete each day, just checking if I need to put tacho to out of scope, I’ve been told don’t need to insert drivers card. Thanks

On domestic regulations you can use either a tachograph or a log book, as you’ve been told you will use a log book it’s possible that the vehicles won’t be fitted with tachographs.

If the vehicles are fitted with tachographs ask your employer/TM if they bother putting the tachographs to out of scope, if they’re never used, which if the vehicles are rigids is quite likely, it’s possible that they just don’t bother.